Projecting first starts for five 2018 first round pick

I really find it kind of funny how all of the national media project us being horrible next season.  I have seen multiple places with us the #1 overall pick in 2019.  If I remember correctly, many had us projected in the top 5 for the 2018 draft as well.  The only thing that really won us a few games was great coaching.

With all the additions and subtractions on the team and the only constant is our coaching, I feel like we might have a very similar team/record as last year.  If we do have a have a similar season to last year, I could see the week 13 area being an accurate thought on where Allen might start, especially if we are out of the playoffs.

18 hours ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I thought this was an interesting read.  I've always thought Bill Barnwell was pretty solid.  Thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23377469/projecting-first-starts-five-2018-nfl-draft-round-1-quarterbacks

Ooooh, Burn! on the Cardinals  When he should be inserted into the lineup: When Sam Bradford gets hurt..... When he will be inserted into the lineup: When Bradford gets hurt.    I actually think there's a reasonable chance Rosen starts Game 1.

Good read, Thanks.  I'm not sure I follow his logic on putting Allen in Game 13 vs Game 5.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ooooh, Burn! on the Cardinals  When he should be inserted into the lineup: When Sam Bradford gets hurt..... When he will be inserted into the lineup: When Bradford gets hurt.    I actually think there's a reasonable chance Rosen starts Game 1.

Good read, Thanks.  I'm not sure I follow his logic on putting Allen in Game 13 vs Game 5.

It's very hard to predict with Allen, because even if he turns as good as the Bills think he will, it wouldn't shock anyone if he looks like garbage in preseason.  Which would probably give AJ a much longer leash than if Allen looks good in preseason.  I took it to mean Barnwell thinks Allen will look pretty good, and there'll be a push to play him over AJ while there's still time to "salvage the season".

3 hours ago, TheBeane said:

The only thing that really won us a few games was great coaching.

Turnovers created by the defense won us quite a few games last year.  People are predicting us to be so bad because teams can't rely on creating as many turnovers as the Bills did year in and year out.  

5 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

Turnovers created by the defense won us quite a few games last year.  People are predicting us to be so bad because teams can't rely on creating as many turnovers as the Bills did year in and year out.  

While I do think that the coaching staff did a great job with the roster we had, I agree with you too.  Our plus/minus from last year will be very tough to repeat especially some of the well timed take aways (Tampa) and calls that went our way (Atlanta).

If AJ somehow has the team in playoff contention, I don't see him getting benched...but I don't see us being playoff contention so I wouldn't be surprised if what really happens is somewhere in the middle of what Barnwell thinks will happen and what really happens.

I'm torn because since the draft, I've become pretty excited to see what Allen can do (I did not like the pick at the time) but if he's in early in the season that probably means the Bills aren't very good.  Or it means he's amazing...I'll hope for that!