Cobra Kai

Maybe not worthy of its own thread, but I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone who's planning to see it and hasn't.  If that's you, please read no further.  

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

OK, those of you who are still here know that John Kreese shows up in Johnny's dojo at the very end.  Or does he? 

Consider the following:

• When applying for Cobra Kai's reinstatement to the All Valley Karate tournament, Johnny states "John Kreese is dead"
  • During the tournament, Johnny sees his fighters using dirty tactics reminiscent of Kreese's teachings, triggering bad flashbacks
  • Johnny tells Miguel not to fight dirty in the final.  Miguel responds "There's nothing dirty about winning, Sensei.  You taught me that."  At this point, Johnny realizes he's no better than Kreese
  • After the tournament, Johnny goes home and drinks himself silly.  And Coors banquet beer just won't do; for this is to be a Jim Beam night!
  • Some alcoholics have hallucinations.  Johnny is clearly an alcoholic
  • John Kreese materializes in the darkness, acting cartoonishly evil, shot in what looked like a dream sequence

So... John Kreese:  real, or a hallucination borne of intoxication and guilt?

Interesting theories.  I'm thinking maybe it could be a hallucination?  Don't see why Johnny would have lied to the board there.  Like in 3 O Clock High there's theories Buddy was an angel sent to help Jerrys reputation.

At any rate a Kreese/Terry Silver/Mike  Barnes reunion would be something next season!  

9 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Interesting theories.  I'm thinking maybe it could be a hallucination?  Don't see why Johnny would have lied to the board there.  Like in 3 O Clock High there's theories Buddy was an angel sent to help Jerrys reputation.

At any rate a Kreese/Terry Silver/Mike  Barnes reunion would be something next season!  

I always got a kick out of the theory that My Bodyguard was supposed to be a gay coming of age story, but 1980 wasn't the right time for that.    

Just stumbled upon this site; looks like John Kreese is very real:

We’re leaving it intentionally vague for the first season whether or not Johnny is aware that Kreese is still around, alive, in the country. We don’t want to reveal yet where we’re taking that and going with that because during the season, Johnny does say point blank when asked about Kreese, “John Kreese is dead.” Does Johnny believe that? Is Johnny lying? Was Johnny told something or is he just dead to Johnny? Those are all things we look forward to answering when we take the story forward. … In season two you’ll learn far more about the lingering status of that relationship. You’ll know what Johnny knows and what the world knows going forward, but at the end of this season it’s just a surprise that he shows up. It’s just the beginning of the story basically.

http://www.slashfilm.com/cobra-kai-season-2/

Would love to see Mike Barnes & Terry Silver.  

8 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

I always got a kick out of the theory that My Bodyguard was supposed to be a gay coming of age story, but 1980 wasn't the right time for that.    

Just stumbled upon this site; looks like John Kreese is very real:

We’re leaving it intentionally vague for the first season whether or not Johnny is aware that Kreese is still around, alive, in the country. We don’t want to reveal yet where we’re taking that and going with that because during the season, Johnny does say point blank when asked about Kreese, “John Kreese is dead.” Does Johnny believe that? Is Johnny lying? Was Johnny told something or is he just dead to Johnny? Those are all things we look forward to answering when we take the story forward. … In season two you’ll learn far more about the lingering status of that relationship. You’ll know what Johnny knows and what the world knows going forward, but at the end of this season it’s just a surprise that he shows up. It’s just the beginning of the story basically.

http://www.slashfilm.com/cobra-kai-season-2/

Would love to see Mike Barnes & Terry Silver.  

Wonder as well about Miguel and Sam.  I'd imagine he did genuinely like her if he was looking for her right after he won.

Robby as well.  I tend to think Johnny may disown him if he's under Daniel's training.  Especially if the Kobra Kai is back.

Interesting too Sam and the heavy set girl patched things up better even though she's with Kobra Kai

lotta these questions

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Wonder as well about Miguel and Sam.  I'd imagine he did genuinely like her if he was looking for her right after he won.

Robby as well.  I tend to think Johnny may disown him if he's under Daniel's training.  Especially if the Kobra Kai is back.

Interesting too Sam and the heavy set girl patched things up better even though she's with Kobra Kai

lotta these questions

I was surprised that Daniel's "everyone in Cobra Kai is bad" talk didn't spur Sam to say "What about Aisha?".  Daniel didn't seem to notice her at the tournament, either.  Her parents are his country club buddies, so you'd think it would've elicited a pretty strong reaction, possibly causing him to reconsider the absoluteness of his stance.  Then again, probably not.  If you think about it, Daniel was the only character who didn't show any real growth or change for the entire run.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/17/2018 at 8:27 PM, Buffalo86 said:

I was surprised that Daniel's "everyone in Cobra Kai is bad" talk didn't spur Sam to say "What about Aisha?".  Daniel didn't seem to notice her at the tournament, either.  Her parents are his country club buddies, so you'd think it would've elicited a pretty strong reaction, possibly causing him to reconsider the absoluteness of his stance.  Then again, probably not.  If you think about it, Daniel was the only character who didn't show any real growth or change for the entire run.

One can't help think in general if we had more Johnny Lawrence's in our school system we'd have less incidents like yesterday.

I mean the running over broken glass and getting teeth knocked out may be a little extreme but you get what I'm saying 

2 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Must watch

"After causing a multi-car collision, he flees into the night.  There is no telling what further damage this unbalanced and violent individual will do.  And one again, it falls on Johnny to contain Daniel's fury."  LOL

• 11 months later...

Anyone following the new season?  Just watched the first episode.  

On 5/4/2018 at 8:22 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

How can anybody watch this crap?  

Snowflake TV.

Get over it Dude, you "swept the leg" over 30 years ago and he whooped you with same leg... Now he's selling cars, impressive!

Deal with it, stop trying to relive your youth

Wow... It's been over 30 years and still trying to catch the cool magic. :lol:

:PSorry, somebody had to critique this in a negative way.  People enjoy the strangest stuff.:P

Lol.  There’s a part of me in the back of my head that senses the ridiculousness of it all.  Especially all the coincidences that happen in it if you watch the series.  

What can I say though I’m a sucker for this sort of thing!