TD trying to work new deals for

Per KFFL..........I sure hope this one gets done. :lol:

It also says that TH will probably remain a Bill(like we didn't know that) due to no decent offers on the table. While I"m not sure how I feel about giving him away I still don't know about keeping him around. He woulkd be a solid #2 but a possible cancer as well.

Per KFFL..........I sure hope this one gets done. :lol:

It also says that TH will probably remain a Bill(like we didn't know that) due to no decent offers on the table. While I"m not sure how I feel about giving him away I still don't know about keeping him around. He woulkd be a solid #2 but a possible cancer as well.

274849[/snapback]

i'm fine w/ it if TH is on the team this year. the bills have enough vets in the locker room to squelch any malcontent, and TH should be motivated to make the best of any opportunity he receives in order to get a good FA deal next season. he's not a "veteran" by any means, but can't you see Big Cat getting in the face of TH if he's not on board?

while i'd prefer a trade in order to get some value, at least we'd have a proven backup to WM for this season.

if TD finds a way to lock up clements and mcgee to long-term deals i'll be very pleased; it would be nice to know that the two corners are solidified for the next 4-5 years.

travis will be fine. he will be playing for a new contract...therefore probably look terrific in backing up willis. not only that, but he'll probably get to start a game or two due to injury, and look good doing that, too. he has nothing to gain and everything to lose by being an ass.

I think they're going by his 10 questions on BB.com. He basically said he has contacted McGee's agent about an extension ( still has 2 years remaining on his contract ). Clements is still up in the air. He'd like him but Nate probably likes the idea of a big payday. Can't blame him. I still see Nate as a longshot but hope for the best.

travis will be fine.  he will be playing for a new contract...therefore probably look terrific in backing up willis.  not only that, but he'll probably get to start a game or two due to injury, and look good doing that, too.  he has nothing to gain and everything to lose by being an ass.

274855[/snapback]

Why do you think that there are no "decent offers" on the table? Is every GM in the NFL underestimating his value? As far as Travis getting a couple of starts, past w/l records tell us that these would quite probably be looses, whereas his record as a starter is far worse than that of Drew.

TD is saying what he should be saying, but when September rolls around, Travis Henry will be losing games for another football team, should he of course have a job.

Clements is still up in the air. He'd like him but Nate probably likes the idea of a big payday. Can't blame him. I still see Nate as a longshot but hope for the best.

274856[/snapback]

i really don't understand this line of thinking........why can't the bills pay him?

and better yet, why haven't they even made an effort as of yet?

i really don't understand this line of thinking........why can't the bills pay him?

274880[/snapback]

They can and should. The only thing that would prevent it from happeneing is Clements himself wanting to wait and test the market for bigger money. One thing that works in our favor is that some of the anually tagged CB's have signed and now the market is set. It gives TD and even Clements numbers to work from. I see this getting done a.l.a. SChobel maybe mid-season once the team is set.

I have absolutely no problem keeping Henry around. If he turns out to be a true football player, anytime he gets the chance he will work his a$$ off. He wants teams to see that he is legit. If I were a GM and Travis is a team player this year, I would definatly give him a nice contract next year.

and better yet, why haven't they even made an effort as of yet?

274880[/snapback]

Historically, the Bills are not a team to tie up large sums of money at the cb position, and it does not seem to matter who is GM. Maybe it has something to do with RW, I dont know.

What they seem to do is draft a ton of cbs in the 1st round, such as Burress, Winfield, T. Smith, and Clements. I think that Henry Jones was even drafted as a corner.

Just based on this, the odds of keeping Nate dont appear to be strong. What I DO think is that much of it will be up to him. He could opt for security and sign early for less, as was the case for Schobel, or he could wait, which would bring more cash, but to wait is to also risk injury and get nothing.

What I DO think is that much of it will be up to him. He could opt for security and sign early for less, as was the case for Schobel, or he could wait, which would bring more cash, but to wait is to also risk injury and get nothing.

274907[/snapback]

or perhaps the bills could treat him fair and not lowball him at all, giving him both a deal early and for a price that he would receive on the open market?

that is what teams do to retain their best, young talent.......

example:

shaun ellis

ladian thomlinson

donovan mcnabb

dante culpepper

chad pennington

chris chambers

ray lewis

peyton manning

shaun rogers

brian urlacher

mike vick

kris jenkins

mike rucker

tory holt

i could go on and on.......all of these guys are top 10 players at their positions and all decided to forgo free agency for signing long-term with their current clubs......why? because they were offered deals comparable to what they could get on the open market.......

i really hope a deal gets done, but i am also prepared for things not to come together and for him to test free agency.......however, unlike the majority, i would put most of the blame for that on the bills, not nate, and i don't think it's excusable when they have a healthy enough cap to get a deal completed.........

>>>>or perhaps the bills could treat him fair and not lowball him at all, giving him both a deal early and for a price that he would receive on the open market?<<<<

This point and the others in your post are well taken, but it would make sense for TD to bid low, considering that NC IS under contract, and by not extending, take a risk of losing millions due to injury.

Personally, I would be afraid to take this kind of risk. My ego would mean less than this kind of financial security for my family.

It worked for AS, and I hope it works for NC.

>>>>or perhaps the bills could treat him fair and not lowball him at all, giving him both a deal early and for a price that he would receive on the open market?<<<<

This point and the others in your post are well taken, but it would make sense for TD to bid low, considering that NC IS under contract, and by not extending, take a risk of losing millions due to injury.

Personally, I would be afraid to take this kind of risk. My ego would mean less than this kind of financial security for my family.

It worked for AS, and I hope it works for NC.

274931[/snapback]

i know what your saying, but i think it's the wrong way to approach negioations........

the risk of injury does not play into the equation the way it used to because players can go out and get insurance that negates the risk of playing out their contract years.........in fact, most agents would insist on it now for their marquee clients........

we saw what happened when the bills tried to get cute with AW.......we saw what happened when the bills tried to get cute with JJ.........i just hope they don't try to be cute with NC.........he has earned a big time contract, and the bills should not hesistate to be fair with him.........

we saw what happened when the bills tried to get cute with AW.......we saw what happened when the bills tried to get cute with JJ

Please tell me you're not seriously suggesting (over and over again) that the Bills should have offered either of those two anywhere near the contracts they got in the open market, cuz that's what it would have taken to keep them from exploring free agency and neither one of them is remotely worth it.

If the Bills followed your business model of overpaying everybody in sight before their contracts were up, they'd have about 6 good players, be in perpetual debt and go 4-12 every year until they moved.

Please tell me you're not seriously suggesting (over and over again) that the Bills should have offered either of those two anywhere near the contracts they got in the open market, cuz that's what it would have taken to keep them from exploring free agency and neither one of them is remotely worth it.

If the Bills followed your business model of overpaying everybody in sight before their contracts were up, they'd have about 6 good players, be in perpetual debt and go 4-12 every year until they moved.

274945[/snapback]

i am talking strategy.......and the bills strategy with both players was to lowball them, correct? i.e. they offered much less then they ended up getting on the open market........

is that the strategy you want them to employ with nate? if that is the case, you can kiss him goodbye because it won't work.......just like it didn't work with JJ and AW.........

274945[/snapback]

Oh, he's serious.

i am talking strategy.......and the bills strategy with both players was to lowball them, correct? i.e. they offered much less then they ended up getting on the open market........

Offering less money than they received on the open market is not lowballing when the number they received on the open market far exceeds their actual worth. So instead of lowballing them, the Bills offered a contract commesurate to their actual worth as opposed to wildly overpaying for them ala Minnesota and SF.

is that the strategy you want them to employ with nate? if that is the case, you can kiss him goodbye because it won't work.......just like it didn't work with JJ and AW.......

Yes, offering him what he is actually worth(as opposed to what somebody else will overpay for him) is the exact strategy I hope they employ with Nate. If we have to kiss him goodbye cuz he wants to chase the money and sign a contract that is far exceeds the worth of a corner (even teh best corner Ihave ever seen in a Bills uni) then so be it.

But no single FA in the history of the NFL is worth more than maintaining the fiscal integrity of the entire team.

I'll take my roster of 50 good players and beat the hell out of your roster of 5 great players and 45 Arena leaguers any day of the week.

And twice on Sunday.

Offering less money than they received on the open market is not lowballing when the number they received on the open market far exceeds their actual worth. So instead of lowballing them, the Bills offered a contract commesurate to their actual worth as opposed to wildly overpaying for them ala Minnesota and SF.

take a look at the list of players from above who resigned with their clubs before free agency..........

are you telling me that those guys took less then they would have received on the open market?

or perhaps the bills could treat him fair and not lowball him at all, giving him both a deal early and for a price that he would receive on the open market?

that is what teams do to retain their best, young talent.......

example:

274921[/snapback]

Bills do it as well. Examples: Schoebel and Moulds. I know you think the Bills don't resign their own players, but actual facts don't support your perceptions.

Bills do it as well. Examples: Schoebel and Moulds. I know you think the Bills don't resign their own players, but actual facts don't support your perceptions.

274971[/snapback]

i have given him credit for these moves (as well as moorman)........i just hope i can give him credit for getting nate signed as well but based on his handling of the JJ and AW situations i have little faith he can get it done.......