Mike Silver: Back2Campus with Josh Rosen

Everyone Hates Me

By Michael Silver | April 23, 2018

Everyone has an opinion about the NFL draft's most polarizing player, but Josh Rosen has his own story, and he's sticking to it

Josh Rosen reclines in his metal chair on a semi-crowded Starbucks patio, tugging on the strings of his hooded Billabong sweatshirt as he talks about his problem. 

"Everyone hates me," Rosen declares, offering half a smile, but making it clear he isn't playing for laughs. 

Rosen, the former UCLA quarterback who is one of the top prospects in the 2018 draft, knows he carries a stigma that has followed him from social media posts to draft meetings in NFL facilities across America -- but that, in and of itself, isn't necessarily an insidious issue. The hyper-confident 21-year-old can live with being cast as a brash and cocky kid with a privileged background and sharp mind that sometimes veers beyond the confines of the football field. He's cool with the critics who crush him for expressing unpopular opinions or drawing attention to himself in ways that athletes, especially in his chosen sport, are strongly encouraged not to. He's got an edge, and it pisses some people off. He gets it. That is not the problem. 

JoshRosen_Final_1800x760.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Good for josh. But it’s not good for trying to bring a locker room together with 52 different backgrounds. Is he going into the NFL to play football and be a leader or is he more interested in Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and Youtube. Is he a good player yes he is will he fit in with every team probably not. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074

Good profile piece.  I know folks are quick to criticize Silver but his story on Kim Pegula was really top notch and he is a hysterical twitter follow.  Speaking of Kim, you gotta think she finds an open-minded, tennis playing QB a good fit for her and Terry's team.

Thanks for sharing 26CB...

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JoeF said:

Good profile piece.  I know folks are quick to criticize Silver but his story on Kim Pegula was really top notch and he is a hysterical twitter follow.  Speaking of Kim, you gotta think she finds an open-minded, tennis playing QB a good fit for her and Terry's team.

Thanks for sharing 26CB...

You're quite welcome.  He's quite the interesting guy in addition to being a very good QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Good for josh. But it’s not good for trying to bring a locker room together with 52 different backgrounds. Is he going into the NFL to play football and be a leader or is he more interested in Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and Youtube. Is he a good player yes he is will he fit in with every team probably not. 

His teammates, those from all different backgrounds, are the ones who love him the most.

It's everyone else, like nobodies on a football message board, who want to hate the kid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You're quite welcome.  He's quite the interesting guy in addition to being a very good QB. 

I think Josh Rosen (with his uncle Jay Rosen as a superfan) can lead us to a Lombardi, but who am I?  I would love Josh R. on the Bills.

2 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Interesting guy.  I do like his competitiveness.  Injuries and lack of real mobility worry me a bit more than the other stuff.

His mobility in the pocket is considered the best among the top for quarterbacks. There’s mobility and then there is “mobility”

When there are  a number of different guys on a team the most important aspect is to be yourself. No one likes a person who tries to be something they aren't. Are there going to be guys on the team who don't like him? Maybe. But that is true of pretty much every team. Win and none of it matters. 

Another long form piece on Rosen.

Time for Josh Rosen’s true personality to shine as QB’s NFL career approaches – Daily News
It doesn’t take much questioning to get Chad Johnson to start defending his former pupil.

Josh Rosen’s offensive coordinator at St. John Bosco is asked how excited he is to see his former player less than a week away from possibly being a top-10 draft pick. Johnson, now the head coach at Mission Viejo, is bursting with pride.

“I’m excited for him, I’m proud of him and I think he’s a really good guy,” he says.

His own words trigger another two-minute and 30-second soliloquy about Rosen, his character and his path from an all-boys school in Bellflower, through Westwood, to Dallas, where Johnson will accompany Rosen as he is likely to become the first UCLA quarterback since 1999 to be selected in the first round of the NFL draft Thursday.

Although he is considered by many draft analysts to be the most pro-ready quarterback in this class, Rosen’s public reputation with youthful social media missteps, outspoken interviews with national outlets and injury-marred, disappointing results at UCLA has the 6-foot-4, 226-pound signal-caller in danger of falling out of the top 10.