This is exactly the problem with college football/the draft

I have been thinking, and saying, that the root cause of the problems with the plethora of NFL busts, at WR, QB, and OL, and therefore, why it's always better to draft Defensive Backs high is: that college football offense has been regressing since the late 1990s/early 2000s. I have been in many arguments on this board since 2005 about why drafting CBs/Ss is a better plan for this simple reason: a DB can't hide on tape. One can clearly determine who is elite, good, etc. from tape when it comes the secondary positions, because those positions primarily depend on innate talent, and secondarily on brains. Those, and, there's nowhere to hide when you're position means you're all alone most of the time. It's simply a matter of what we can measure vs. what we can't. The problem with college football, for at least 15 years now is: the offensive coaching has made true measurement and comparison exponentially more difficult.

This article proves it: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/10/draft-wide-receiver-wr-first-round-busts-kyle-lauletta-jimmy-garoppolo-chad-kanoff-princeton

Once again we see that the egos of college football coaches constantly get in the way of improving their players. Once again we see that given the chance, they'd rather be coaching high school JV programs...because JV is where the coach has autocratic power. So, instead of coaching players properly, thus having to do the much harder work of working with the individual player, what he can and can't do/what he sees/allowing him to have some autonomy(or even, knowledge when it comes to reading defenses)? These coaches force the JV system upon players whose bodies and minds have developed far beyond it.

As I have said before: college football is now unwatchable for me. It's quite simple. When I see and entire offense huddle, then line up, then stop, and every player except the Gs and Ts(and sometimes it the whole O line), looks over to the sidelines? I am sorry, but that is JV football.

Today's college game isn't "innovative" :lol: at all. It's regressive. It's regressive in that it is going back to a time when players didn't have the innate, intentionally trained for their entire lives, abilities that they do now. Knute Rockne created the jump pass, and many other downfield throws. That was innovation, in f'ing 1913. :lol: Knute Rockne ran the RPO(look at the "Notre Dame Box" at the link...it's the F'ing "wildcat". :rolleyes: ).

Seriously, WTF are we doing playing 1913 football 100 years later?

The answer is simple: ego. College coach ego. They don't even get that if Rockne was alive today, and saw the kind of talent available to him, that he never would have dreamed of back in the early 1900s, the first thing he'd do is kick these egomaniacs in the balls...on sheer principle, then, he'd figure out a way to use the talent. 

Rockne was able to beat Army, badly,(think: beating the 90s Bulls, or the 70s Canadiens), precisely because he broke from the dogmatic, run-only offense of his time and used "the forward pass"(It's always hilarious to hear that phrase. Try saying out loud, and not snicker. Try watching this movie: with Ronald Reagan, as George "The Gipper" Gipp). The great irony here is that his 100 year-old offense is being used today, and being called "innovative", :lol: , when he ran the offense himself ON THE FIELD when he played, and let his players run it themselves when he coached.

Edited by OCinBuffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

A college football coach’s job is to win, period. It is not to groom NFL players. 

Producing quality NFL players helps a college coach win because top prospects will want to go to where they have the best path to the NFL. That being said if they have a system that wins but isn't always the best for the pros they will continue to run it as long as they win. 

3 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

A college football coach’s job is to win, period. It is not to groom NFL players. 

That may be true, but, I guarantee that misusing talent, by not using it at all, will always lose against using it properly.

Yeah, I get the big business/winning aspect. But I am telling you: Knute Rockne kicked the crap out of "the winning way", and any coach who had Rockne's cajones today would smoke the rest of the JV people. In fact, that would be my recruiting pitch: real innovation/real pro offense. I know that there's a coach out there at Unknown State who is contemplating doing that right now. It's too obvious to miss. Somebody is gonna do the Phi Slamma Jamma thing on the rest of FBS. It's just a matter of time.  

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

Lol “using it properly”? If the coach wins, that’s “properly.”

Not the point. I don't care what the sport is(because I have coached in 3 sports), if you use your players properly, meaning take the full advantage of their talents, you have a much higher propensity to win. I can go on and on about why, giving personal examples in work and sports, or, you can just accept that I draw on a vast range of experience that proves what I am saying is true.

21 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Sez u

No. Says my experience. Look: I can drop a book on you in 5 minutes if that's what you require. The posters who've been here as long as I have know I can, and they will cry about it. I'm trying something different...just to see if it works, and, to make fun of them at the same time.

Are you daring me to drop a book(write an extremely long post) on you, and the end of which, I will completely prove my point in every facet and detail? 

(As I said, this is more about F'ing with them, than you.) Or, would you rather just take it from somebody who has coached/managed 100s of young people(for most of my life, as a young person, and managed people older than me), and gotten the most out of them(see: my record of winning)?

Edited by OCinBuffalo
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

100% correct. But that is part of why quarterbacks are not prepared. 

I think the bigger issue is the lack of development in their mechanics and things if that nature. Also the fact that they are so young these days. Darnold, Rosen, Jackson are all 21 when the season starts. Back in the day, pretty much everybody took a redshirt and stayed in college for 5 years making them 23-24 year old rookies. That is such a big difference. 

lol check yourself, Francis. You can “drop” anything you want, but your main thesis is faulty. College coaches use schemes that will A) best suit their personnel, and B) most likely give them wins against the defenses they play against. That’s it. 

High school prospects will go where they get a scholarship. Only a handful of elite prospects can pick and choose where they go, yet most will still choose a winning program instead of choosing one that will make them more “pro-ready.” 

Again, it is not a coach’s job to make his players pro-ready. It is to win. That’s it.

say all you want, but whatever you “drop” won’t be refuting these simple facts.

While you may have coached before, I’m an English professor, and my grade for you is C+. Interesting subject, but poorly organized with a faulty premise.

<mic drop>

Edited by Domdab99

31 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

lol check yourself, Francis. You can “drop” anything you want, but your main thesis is faulty. College coaches use schemes that will A) best suit their personnel, and B) most likely give them wins against the defenses they play against. That’s it. 

High school prospects will go where they get a scholarship. Only a handful of elite prospects can pick and choose where they go, yet most will still choose a winning program instead of choosing one that will make them more “pro-ready.” 

Again, it is not a coache’s job to make his players pro-ready. It is to win. That’s it.

say all you want, but whatever you “drop” won’t be refuting these simple facts.

While you may have coached before, I’m an English professor, and my grade for you is C+. Interesting subject, but poorly organized with a faulty premise.

<mic drop>

Heh! This F is talking to me about writing. It must be late on Friday night. 

Can't wait until tomorrow, when all the(hopefully funny) jokes start. OK professor, that's it for tonight. When I get done replying to the 5-10 PM's from the old-school posters here, after they read this tomorrow, and laugh, I'll get back to you. 

43 minutes ago, OCinBuffalo said:

Heh! This F is talking to me about writing. It must be late on Friday night. 

Can't wait until tomorrow, when all the(hopefully funny) jokes start. OK professor, that's it for tonight. When I get done replying to the 5-10 PM's from the old-school posters here, after they read this tomorrow, and laugh, I'll get back to you. 

I can't tell you how scared I am of you and your old school posters laughing at me. Write all you want, Skippy, I probably won't read it. I said what I had to say, you're wrong, and I'm done with you. The fact that you want to keep vomiting pages of meaningless blather won't change that fact. Noe does it mean I have to read it.

But you can be sure I will still be here quaking in my boots over people I'm talking to on the Internet. People who assume their experience is somehow better than someone else's without bothering to find out. The arrogance is astounding. It is only matched by your poor premise.  

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Producing quality NFL players helps a college coach win because top prospects will want to go to where they have the best path to the NFL. That being said if they have a system that wins but isn't always the best for the pros they will continue to run it as long as they win. 

....well stated....winning is everything.......butts in the seats, happy boosters and  a mega million dollar bowl game top the priority list.........

6 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Exactly. I want ND to win a championship. I don't care if Brian Kelly has them pro ready or not. The NCAA is also making money hand over fist so don't expect the product to change any time soon. 

What happened? I'm still waiting on the massive "drop" that's going to bury me in coaching wisdom. 

19 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

12 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I like how you don't think before you talk. It must be very liberating :)

Feel free to rebut my very simple statement. It should be easy for you, since you've had all this time to think about it. 

Edited by Domdab99