O-Line

Griff28

Losing Incognito hurts, but the line has been worse before.   

I have to plead ignorance on Bodine and Newhouse, they seem to have plenty of starting experience, but how good are they?  Unless they are notoriously bad, Dawkins, Bodine and Newhouse would be 3 of the 5 spots. 

Groy and Ducasse are servicable and Miller could rebound with a new offensive coordinator.   Add a couple of draft picks to that mix, and it may turn out decent. 

46 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Losing Incognito hurts, but the line has been worse before.   

I have to plead ignorance on Bodine and Newhouse, they seem to have plenty of starting experience, but how good are they?  Unless they are notoriously bad, Dawkins, Bodine and Newhouse would be 3 of the 5 spots. 

Groy and Ducasse are servicable and Miller could rebound with a new offensive coordinator.   Add a couple of draft picks to that mix, and it may turn out decent. 

Ducasse is servicable is a generous grade.  I think Bodine is maybe a C minus starter.  Folks on these boards who seem informed were opining that Newhouse is terrible.  I am hoping, based on not much, that Connor McDermott will be a step up at RT.  Definitely need a few fairly early draft picks devoted to oline.  It would help if we can get the qb in the 6 to 10 range and keep most of our draft picks.

Edited by Dr. Who

25 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Ducasse is servicable is a generous grade.  I think Bodine is maybe a C minus starter.  Folks on these boards who seem informed were opining that Newhouse is terrible.  I am hoping, based on not much, that Connor McDermott will be a step up at RT.  Definitely need a few fairly early draft picks devoted to oline.  It would help if we can get the qb in the 6 to 10 range and keep most of our draft picks.

If Bodine and Newhouse are poorly rated that is a different story.    Some high draft picks on the oline may be needed then. 

6 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

If Bodine and Newhouse are poorly rated that is a different story.    Some high draft picks on the oline may be needed then. 

My computer glitched.  Sorry about the double post.  Fixed it. 

I am relaying the evaluations I read on the board by folks who seem insightful to me.  I personally don't know about Bodine and Newhouse.  I am pretty confident Ducasse isn't any good.  I am sorta hoping Miller rebounds.  If it was a system fit problem, maybe we will find a way to maximize his potential with the new OC.

Edited by Dr. Who

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Certainly work to be done, but O line play around the league isn't very good

Any idea why?  Rule changes, player development at the college level, just not enough big guys with requisite athleticism?  Is there something about this era of football that makes it harder to find o-lineman?  

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Any idea why?  Rule changes, player development at the college level, just not enough big guys with requisite athleticism?  Is there something about this era of football that makes it harder to find o-lineman?  

Part of it is the college offenses.  Not much running game, and with spread offenses they don't really learn how to get out of a stance to pass protect.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, MJS said:

That's the plan for now I am sure.

Oline is important for sure, but you can stitch one together and make it work. Teams have to do it every year because of injuries.

I do hope and expect that we invest serious draft capital, including high picks, in the oline over the next few years. We need a total rebuild besides maybe Dawkins.

Teams that have stitched up OL's are generally losing teams.  That's just a fact.  I've accepted that the Bills are in rebuild mode and whoever the QB is will be running for his life a lot.

Edited by NewEraBills