Mike Rowe's Pledge---Watcha Think?

Mike Rowe's "SWEAT Pledge" - Would YOU sign it? Agree with it? Or is it nonsense?

Mike Rowe, from "Dirty Jobs" has the following pledge on his website:

“THE S.W.E.A.T. PLEDGE”
(Skill & Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo)

1. I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.

2. I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.

3. I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.

4. I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.

5. I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.

6. I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.

7. I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.

8. I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.

9. I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.

10. I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.

11. I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.

12. I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.
  • Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Keukasmallie said:

I've "signed it" a number of times over the years and I believe in it as much today as I did when I started my working life at Kantz' drug store in the Greyhound Terminal (long gone) in Elmira, NY (Many would argue Elmira's long gone too.).

Isn't Elmira over there near Endicott and Johnson, the shoe capitol of the world?

On 4/8/2018 at 10:36 AM, 3rdnlng said:

Isn't Elmira over there near Endicott and Johnson, the shoe capitol of the world?

I'll have you know that Elmira is located just a bit east of Big Flats and slightly west of Wellsburg.  It is the hometown of Ernie Davis.

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

No, some jobs are just awful. There are bad jobs and that's why people quit them. So I disagree on that one. I do thank my lucky stars that I was born here and now, though. 

If I had given it a seconds worth of thought I would have realized that you would have found a way to disagree with the OP.

Just to note, the guy who likes to talk about dirty, blue collar jobs went to college and received his degree in Communication Studies and then went to work as a TV host. He sang professionally in the Baltimore Opera. He has a pretty extensive White Collar job history for the entirety of his life.

That isn't to say that he hasn't worked hard at his profession, or put his time in. I don't want to take away from his success, which he has rightfully earned.

But it's a little jarring to see this "Life isn't fair Rah Rah" stuff from him, knowing that he's advocating for an approach he didn't have to live. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Just to note, the guy who likes to talk about dirty, blue collar jobs went to college and received his degree in Communication Studies and then went to work as a TV host. He sang professionally in the Baltimore Opera. He has a pretty extensive White Collar job history for the entirety of his life.

That isn't to say that he hasn't worked hard at his profession, or put his time in. I don't want to take away from his success, which he has rightfully earned.

But it's a little jarring to see this "Life isn't fair Rah Rah" stuff from him, knowing that he's advocating for an approach he didn't have to live. 

http://www.csend.org/images/articles/files/20101009-FernandoPessoa.pdf

10 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Rowe was born in Baltimore, Maryland to John and Peggy Rowe. He stated in commercials for Dirty Jobs that the show is a tribute to his father and grandfather. He became an Eagle Scout in 1979 in Troop 16 in Baltimore,[25] and he read aloud to students at the Maryland School for the Blind during his service project for Eagle Scout. He cites this as one of the reasons that he became interested in narrating and writing.[25][32] In June 2012, Rowe was awarded the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award by the Boy Scouts of America.[33]

Rowe attended Kenwood Presbyterian Church in Baltimore, which his parents still regularly attend. He graduated from Overlea High School where he excelled in theater and singing under choir director Freddie King, whom Rowe credits for his interest in performing.[34] He then studied at Essex Community College.[34] He was named an Honorary Life Member of the Barbershop Harmony Society on July 8, 2017 at the Society’s international convention in Las Vegas.[35] He graduated from Towson University[36] with a degree in communication studies.[37]

Rowe sang professionally with the Baltimore Opera.[38][39] He resides in San Francisco, California.[40][10] In 2016, he was subject to baseless rumors describing his death, leading him to quote the famous line attributed to Mark Twain: "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Rowe

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

20130916.png

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Rowe was born in Baltimore, Maryland to John and Peggy Rowe. He stated in commercials for Dirty Jobs that the show is a tribute to his father and grandfather. He became an Eagle Scout in 1979 in Troop 16 in Baltimore,[25] and he read aloud to students at the Maryland School for the Blind during his service project for Eagle Scout. He cites this as one of the reasons that he became interested in narrating and writing.[25][32] In June 2012, Rowe was awarded the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award by the Boy Scouts of America.[33]

Rowe attended Kenwood Presbyterian Church in Baltimore, which his parents still regularly attend. He graduated from Overlea High School where he excelled in theater and singing under choir director Freddie King, whom Rowe credits for his interest in performing.[34] He then studied at Essex Community College.[34] He was named an Honorary Life Member of the Barbershop Harmony Society on July 8, 2017 at the Society’s international convention in Las Vegas.[35] He graduated from Towson University[36] with a degree in communication studies.[37]

Rowe sang professionally with the Baltimore Opera.[38][39] He resides in San Francisco, California.[40][10] In 2016, he was subject to baseless rumors describing his death, leading him to quote the famous line attributed to Mark Twain: "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Rowe

I'm...not sure what your point is. Honestly. I mean, it's pretty much what I said...

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

And if you've ever read his Congressional testimony on job creation, you'd know that he knows more about the unskilled and semi-skilled labor market than all of us combined.

But you keep pushing that Identity Fallacy for all it's worth.