Always something new to see

row_33

Cards at Brewers started with back to back homers and ended with back to back homers, Braun with the walkoff

can’t recall that happening before in 4 decades of watching 

good game to tape and watch

Edited by row_33

• 5 weeks later...

Morton was on with his 3 to 9 curve and breaking ball for the Yankees

a pitch to Didi started two feet off the right side and ended up in the centre of the plate, worthy of a dozen watchings 

was informed that the  1 hit and 18 strikeouts combined by starters (at that stage) in a Yankees/Astros game was a first last week

Dick Fowler threw the other Canadian no hitter in 1945, for the Philly A's against the St Louis Browns.

JD Martinez hits a potential double but runs into Chapman obstructing at first base, wasn’t really gunning for two and ump’s discretion holds him to a singlep

the D obstructs and the O interferes, catchers interference is an acknowledged misnomer.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at the Mets game last night and saw something that was new to me. In between pitches Amed Rosario would circle around the runner taking a lead off second. I had no idea what he was doing until the guy sitting in front of me clued me in. He was blocking the runner so he couldn't steal the sign from the catcher. 

https://elitesportsny.com/2018/06/01/new-york-mets-news-jason-heyward-yells-at-amed-rosario-for-sign-block/

• 1 month later...

Probably not what you had in mind row, but this is definitely something I've never seen. Bad enough the home plate ump was asleep at the wheel, but the first base ump too? Might be more than meets the eye going on here.

Umps who made the worst check-swing call in history of baseball suspended for rest of season

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/umps-who-made-the-worst-check-swing-call-in-history-of-baseball-suspended-for-rest-of-season/

————-

mets used a contingent 4th out to end an inning 

bases loaded with two out, single to left scores one and the next runner is out at the plate, catcher throws to third to get a 4th out on taqhe trail runner

replay overturns the call st home, run scores and 4th out ends the inning

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Couldn't decide whether this fit better here or in the Mets thread, but the day after Jose Reyes gave up 2 HR's in the Mets 25-4 loss, he hit two the following day. 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24256733/jose-reyes-new-york-mets-makes-history-two-home-runs-loss

gotta be a first!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Bottom 9, two outs, Cubs hit a walk off grand slam to win 4-3.

I did this a ton of times growing up except it was a 3-2 count and in the world series.

Best Cubs moment in 108 years?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 7:44 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Probably not what you had in mind row, but this is definitely something I've never seen. Bad enough the home plate ump was asleep at the wheel, but the first base ump too? Might be more than meets the eye going on here.

Umps who made the worst check-swing call in history of baseball suspended for rest of season

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/umps-who-made-the-worst-check-swing-call-in-history-of-baseball-suspended-for-rest-of-season/

I love that it was the top of the 1st.  I guess they hadn't gotten over the hangovers.

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

No, they actually went 4 wide...LF, LCF, RCF, RF.

The overshifts we see with the 2b in short right is closer to the rover mentality. 

in some game watched last week a long fly ball to the track in right had the secondbaseman getting to within a few feet of the RF making the routine play

the announcers laughed and asked just where the 2B was positioned in the first place

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

No, they actually went 4 wide...LF, LCF, RCF, RF.

The overshifts we see with the 2b in short right is closer to the rover mentality. 

when I played slo-pitch the 4th OF was a "Rover" position, which took up a suitable gap for D