Sotguns for the homeless

I can't say that I see the Libertarian argument for providing shotguns to the homeless, but this guy has successfully created a headline for himself.

“Getting them pistols is probably next to impossible. The pistols need to be registered, people have to have addresses.”   :lol:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/16/arm-homeless-with-shotguns-to-reduce-crime-us-senate-hopeful-says.html

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Azalin said:

I can't say that I see the Libertarian argument for providing shotguns to the homeless, but this guy has successfully created a headline for himself.

“Getting them pistols is probably next to impossible. The pistols need to be registered, people have to have addresses.”   :lol:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/16/arm-homeless-with-shotguns-to-reduce-crime-us-senate-hopeful-says.html

With the introduction of positive rights into American Constitutional Law, one could argue that if the "Right to Healthcare" means that others are required to provide you with healthcare, then the Second Amendment means that others are required to provide you with firearms.

I think it's a poor argument, but it's at least internally logically consistent.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Hmmmm. Why not cut out the trade goods and just give them a couple cases of wine?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

With the introduction of positive rights into American Constitutional Law, one could argue that if the "Right to Healthcare" means that others are required to provide you with healthcare, then the Second Amendment means that others are required to provide you with firearms.

I think it's a poor argument, but it's at least internally logically consistent.

The internal consistency also makes it an argument useful for banning abortion under "right to life."  

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

I cannot imagine anything going wrong with giving shotguns (and ammunition, I presume) to the homeless.

I have no problem at all with the homeless using their prerogative to exercise their natural rights, though as I understand them, those natural rights do not include demanding others arm them.

Poverty is not a crime.  It should not separate an individual from their rights.  If they can acquire arms, they have a right to them. 

11 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

This entire thread reminds me of that movie with Don Knotts about the field goal kicking mule.  I think Tim Conway was in it too.  He played the homeless guy with a shotgun...and a heart of gold.

This post reminds me of the 2017 Browns.