Big Day Today: Josh Allen Pro Day 2pm on NFL Network

KDIGGZ

overall I thought he looked pretty good.  i was expecting a little more fireworks.  there were definitely some very impressive throws but overall it was a tad sloppy compared to what we just saw from Darnold.  it's funny that he unleashed some 80 yard throws and after what he did at the combine it was just more of the same.  you forget how impressive that is!

i don't think that will be enough to take him #1.  i think they will see Darnold as the safer pick.  but do the Jets take a chance on him at 3?  I saw GM Maccagnan there on the sideline with a football flying 60mph towards his direction.  Hopefully he was impressed

Jets GM Mike Maccagan chatting it up with Josh Allen after his pro day

The guy hit by my calculations at least 50 of his first 52 passes (one was off camera) - I only saw him miss one. At the end he was launching 80 yard bombs that the receivers couldn't catch even if it was placed well. Huge improvement in footwork which led to his accuracy going way up. Still in play for Browns because the guy can roll out and on a full run throw a dart to the sideline accurately. Biggest talent at QB in draft - will need a year to learn though. 

Edited by Greensleeves
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

The guy hit by my calculations at least 50 of his first 52 passes (one was off camera) - I only saw him miss one. At the end he was launching 80 yard bombs that the receivers couldn't catch even if it was placed well. Huge improvement in footwork which led to his accuracy going way up. Still in play for Browns because the guy can roll out and on a full run throw a dart to the sideline accurately. Biggest talent at QB in draft - will need a year to learn though. 

I think Allen will be our pick. He has a lot that really impresses teams (size, arm, athleticism) and if he falls out of the top 5 I think they will view that as great value considering how some think he could go #1 overall. It's either him or Mayfield at this point. I think Rosen and Darnold are tier 1 and then Mayfield and Allen are tier 2 so right now if the best we can do is the tier 2 guys then so be it.

Edited by kdiggz

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I think Allen will be our pick. He has a lot that really impresses teams (size, arm, athleticism) and if he falls out of the top 5 I think they will view that as great value considering how some think he could go #1 overall. It's either him or Mayfield at this point. I think Rosen and Darnold are tier 1 and then Mayfield and Allen are tier 2 so right now if the best we can do is the tier 2 guys then so be it.

I think Rosen is the one that will slide. Not sure who the Jets take between Allen and Mayfield but I don’t think they’re taking Rosen. 

40 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think Rosen is the one that will slide. Not sure who the Jets take between Allen and Mayfield but I don’t think they’re taking Rosen. 

Just reported today that they want Rosen or Mayfield and all indications are they will take Rosen at 3

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

Just reported today that they want Rosen or Mayfield and all indications are they will take Rosen at 3

I understand what some of the reports say. I’m skeptical that it’s true. 

Edit: I hope that report is true. Rosen is the one I want the Jets to take personally. 

Edited by DCOrange

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

From Palmer's own website, here are other draft prospects he's "helped" in recent years.   Quite a stable of future-HOF guys.   Doh!    

http://qbsummit.com/palmer/

"NFL Draft prep has allowed me to train some of the top guys in the past 3 years such as Blake Bortles, Keith Price, Sean Mannion and Christian Hackenberg."

Plus this gem:

"The [NFL] quarterback rooms I've been in have been filled with names juch as Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler, Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne, Carson

Palmer, EJ Manuel, Josh McCown, Jimmy Clausen and many others."

Man he actually put that on his website?

Manziel had a better pro day.

Edited by Boca BIlls

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2018 at 1:42 AM, Lurker said:

From Palmer's own website, here are other draft prospects he's "helped" in recent years.   Quite a stable of future-HOF guys.   Doh!    

http://qbsummit.com/palmer/

"NFL Draft prep has allowed me to train some of the top guys in the past 3 years such as Blake Bortles, Keith Price, Sean Mannion and Christian Hackenberg."

Plus this gem:

"The [NFL] quarterback rooms I've been in have been filled with names juch as Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler, Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne, Carson

Palmer, EJ Manuel, Josh McCown, Jimmy Clausen and many others."

Wow, you mean there are guys not good enough to be NFL QBs even without coaching? Color me surprised and shocked!!!

He may very well have "helped" (Nice use of quotation marks, there) them to be as good as they could be, which might well have not been good enough to be successful. He says he can help anybody. He doesn't say he can turn anybody into a superstar or even a starter.

Any particular reason you guys left out the fact that he's worked with Deshaun Watson? Not to mention working an awful lot with his brother? Doesn't fit your narrative, maybe?

He's also worked with Stafford.

Does that mean he can definitely permanently cure Allen's problems? No. But he really is an exceptionally highly-regarded QB coach. Palmer says that the accuracy problems he needs to be responsible for are due to mechanical problems. Is that all of the problems? Dunno. But it really is true that his accuracy has gotten better every time people have seen him this offseason, Senior Bowl, combine and even more so at his Pro Bowl. So he's probably correctly diagnosed a real problem for Allen. 

Can Allen permanently change his mechanics so that he has good fundamentals even when the pressure is on and bullets are flying? Dunno. Some guys can. Many can't.

But again, this is why NFL teams are interested. It's why the fans don't like him but the clubs and pundits do. Some think he can make this change, that it will impact his accuracy and that he can make it permanent. I don't have a clue. But that's where the disconnect with Allen is.