Why not two quarterbacks in Round One?

finn

Like many of you, I've gotten my hopes up for every starting qb the Bills have had since Kelly:  Collins,  Losman,  Edwards,  Fitzpatrick, Manuel... the list is too painful to complete. Combine it with qb busts from other teams, especially the first-rounders, and it's plain that drafting a qb is a crap shoot. We have two first-round picks this year in a supposedly qb-rich draft. Why not use both on a qb? Take whichever of the Big Four drops to 12 (looks like one might) and take whoever drops still further--say, Lamar Jackson--with the 22nd. The stakes are about as high as they could be. You know the drill: we draft X, who shows promise! Ok, he's not great, but he needs time! Ok, he's had time, but he needs to be surrounded by better talent! A better D! A new scheme! And the years go by. This way, the Bills double their chances of a hit. Yes, it's asking for a quarterback controversy, but I'll take that over four years of "Just give E.J. a chance!" And if both (or all three) qb's look good, ship one or two away to get the picks back. Yet we know Beane is unlikely to do so. Why? 

1 minute ago, finn said:

Like many of you, I've gotten my hopes up for every starting qb the Bills have had since Kelly:  Collins,  Losman,  Edwards,  Fitzpatrick, Manuel... the list is too painful to complete. Combine it with qb busts from other teams, especially the first-rounders, and it's plain that drafting a qb is a crap shoot. We have two first-round picks this year in a supposedly qb-rich draft. Why not use both on a qb? Take whichever of the Big Four drops to 12 (looks like one might) and take whoever drops still further--say, Lamar Jackson--with the 22nd. The stakes are about as high as they could be. You know the drill: we draft X, who shows promise! Ok, he's not great, but he needs time! Ok, he's had time, but he needs to be surrounded by better talent! A better D! A new scheme! And the years go by. This way, the Bills double their chances of a hit. Yes, it's asking for a quarterback controversy, but I'll take that over four years of "Just give E.J. a chance!" And if both (or all three) qb's look good, ship one or two away to get the picks back. Yet we know Beane is unlikely to do so. Why? 

29356560_10155221995161231_4133994979762634752_n.thumb.jpg.e1a98ec7eded64da3c4c0f9ccdf9f038.jpg

When you have two quarterbacks, you don't have a quarterback. I think creating media circus is the exact opposite of what Beane is trying to do. This is exactly why I believe they avoided, or chose, not to afreesively persue a guy like Bradford or Keenum. If the move up and get a QB, they are all in on him. The last thing they'd want to do is create an even more difficult environment for him to succeed by cutting his reps 

I like your suggestion Finn! Im all for taking two in the first, especially if it falls that way. Skins did it with RG3 and Cousins was the last time I believe. Better luck at hitting on one if you have two and we would still have the rest of our picks. This draft is the most important for the Bills chise in close to 20 years to be able to sustain a winner for next 10 years.....SIGN ME UP ON THIS!

5 minutes ago, finn said:

Well, Beene has an aversion to pitchforks and torches for starters.

I think you follow the Redskins mold, for the only time in your life. A QB in Round 1 and then another in the 3rd or 4th if a guy you value drops there. It's not going to happen though with AJ and Nate here.