Bill Polian would take AJ McCarron over 2017 NFL Draft prospects

On 3/20/2018 at 7:18 AM, GunnerBill said:

I'd still try and move up if I could get Josh Rosen. There is a reason teams move on from Alex Smith.  He is a really good QB (and I don't actually think McCarron can be Alex Smith v2.0) but he is too limited to go and win you a Championship unless everything around him is not just good but basically perfect.  If I had a QB of a Smith level though then I would not consider anyone other than Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield in this draft. 

Is Alex smith better than Nick Foles? I think so. Good teams win, a QB is just a piece of that puzzle. Develop a system around a competent QB and we can win.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:19 AM, rodneykm said:

My preference would be Baker as well, but I think they'll go for Rosen or Darnold ( or maybe Allen ) instead based on what Beane is looking for in a QB. My hope is that it is not Darnold. 

My preference is Baker as well.  If they go for Rosen (too slender IMO and has injury history), Allen (please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!), or Darnold (I just don't see him as a consistent enough passer to be a good NFL QB - he had good games in college, but had some woofers as well) after trading a lot of picks to move up into a higher position I think they are going to be looking for another QB in 2020-21.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, unclepete said:

Is Alex smith better than Nick Foles? I think so. Good teams win, a QB is just a piece of that puzzle. Develop a system around a competent QB and we can win.

Nick Foles had a near perfect team around him.  That's the point.  The Eagles were loaded last year.  They were only able to do that because they were paying Wentz and Foles combined less than a franchise QB not on a rookie deal would get.  That was the Seattle model for their Superbowl too..... loaded roster, cheap (though very good) young QB. There is almost no way the Bills can build a roster like that around McCarron given our cap position.  The easiest way is draft out rookie and build around him over the next 3 years while he is cheap.  By 2020 maybe we can follow the Eagles model.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nick Foles had a near perfect team around him.  That's the point.  The Eagles were loaded last year.  They were only able to do that because they were paying Wentz and Foles combined less than a franchise QB not on a rookie deal would get.  That was the Seattle model for their Superbowl too..... loaded roster, cheap (though very good) young QB. There is almost no way the Bills can build a roster like that around McCarron given our cap position.  The easiest way is draft out rookie and build around him over the next 3 years while he is cheap.  By 2020 maybe we can follow the Eagles model.   

I believe we can if we hit on our picks. Giving up a years worth of draft picks when there’s no can’t miss Qb I’d risky. Those picks could very well build the Bills nucleus for many years to come. 

HELLO !! That is what i have thought since he came out of the draft & didn't understand why he went in such a late round !!

The guys lowest completion percentage through out his entire college & now NFL career has been no lower than 62% & has went as high as 68% in college not to mention one of a very few QB's that led his college team to back to back national titles !!

But many Bills fans ragged him out (surprise) before he got brought to the team I just hope & can't wait when he gets his chance to prove them all wrong !!

Go Bills ! Go AJ !! 

Edited by T master