[Vague Title]You don't know squat

I am looking at it this way.

Last year McDermott came in and a few months later he picked the draft himself and he Pwoned them. 

(Pwned is a young people's spelling, which by now probably means middle aged people :( , of the word "Owned" but with an emphasis and a subversive flavor).

They will probably do ok this year.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

They know.  We don't.  

I've been saying this for years.   

I'd love to be on the inside to see and hear what these guys are thinking about.   In GM, about the Giants' GM Ernie Accorsi, they recount his scouting trip to Happy Valley.  Watching the game, Accorsi commented about how well coached Posluzny was, noting that his first step, either right or left, forward or back, always was with the correct leg in the correct direction.   I mean, really, who on this board watches that stuff?  Tiny details, observed and collected.   People don't believe it when Beane says he really hasn't begun his evaluation of the QBs in the draft, but I do.   If they're collecting that kind of data about prospects, it's completely believable that (1) they haven't completed collecting and assimilating the data and (2) Beane hasn't had time yet to begin studying it.   As the Bills continue to sign free agents over the past day or two, it's clear that his focus is still elsewhere.  

Listening to McBeane, it's clear they've learned a process with the Panthers (and the Eagles, in McD's case), and they follow the process.  They have to consider pros and cons, compare apples and oranges, collect information from agents, other GMs, other coaches, wondering all the time how reliable that information is.  Precision is necessary to get it right, and almost all aspects of the process are imprecise.   

The Kevin Costner film Draft Day is typical Hollywood fare, but it captures the uncertainty and the tension as Costner decides what to do about HIS quarterback situation.   

7 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I am looking at it this way.

Last year McDermott came in and a few months later he picked the draft himself and he Pwoned them. 

(Pwned is a young people's spelling, which by now probably means middle aged people :( , of the word "Owned" but with an emphasis and a subversive flavor).

They will probably do ok this year.

Since they'e arrived, I've been impressed.   They're not going to get 'em all correct, but they sure seem to be on the right path.   Watching the draft will be fun.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I've been saying this for years.   

I'd love to be on the inside to see and hear what these guys are thinking about.   In GM, about the Giants' GM Ernie Accorsi, they recount his scouting trip to Happy Valley.  Watching the game, Accorsi commented about how well coached Posluzny was, noting that his first step, either right or left, forward or back, always was with the correct leg in the correct direction.   I mean, really, who on this board watches that stuff?  Tiny details, observed and collected.   People don't believe it when Beane says he really hasn't begun his evaluation of the QBs in the draft, but I do.   If they're collecting that kind of data about prospects, it's completely believable that (1) they haven't completed collecting and assimilating the data and (2) Beane hasn't had time yet to begin studying it.   As the Bills continue to sign free agents over the past day or two, it's clear that his focus is still elsewhere.  

Listening to McBeane, it's clear they've learned a process with the Panthers (and the Eagles, in McD's case), and they follow the process.  They have to consider pros and cons, compare apples and oranges, collect information from agents, other GMs, other coaches, wondering all the time how reliable that information is.  Precision is necessary to get it right, and almost all aspects of the process are imprecise.   

The Kevin Costner film Draft Day is typical Hollywood fare, but it captures the uncertainty and the tension as Costner decides what to do about HIS quarterback situation.   

Since they'e arrived, I've been impressed.   They're not going to get 'em all correct, but they sure seem to be on the right path.   Watching the draft will be fun.  

Very interesting detail there about how close they look. I get a glimpse of that when I go to camp with Billsfann. He sees that kind of stuff.

But he can still be wrong he liked I forget the name but a superb physically, washout mentally and maturity wise wideout who got cut and went to the colts. I would have cut the guy at the first chance. (Just in case you read this Billsfann ;) )

Anyway so yeah. But the QBs aren't linebackers and they have been scrutinizing them closely for a long time. But I think Beane means he has not evaluated them himself, personally, in as much detail as he wants. And  he should because it is his head on the chopping block for a pick like that. However I think the organization as a whole has a definite set of opinions already.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Of course it's semantics.  Just that the poster seems to want to provide his version of an English lesson.

Beane and McD and the rest of the front office have a plan, they know what they want to do, they know what kinds of players they need to make the team what they want it to be.

They know.  We don't.  Which was the point of my starting this thread. 

words have meaning. whether one chooses to fit that meaning into their own narrative by implying that that meaning is not really what that word means is another matter entirely. some might call this having rose colored glasses.

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

words have meaning. whether one chooses to fit that meaning into their own narrative by implying that that meaning is not really what that word means is another matter entirely. some might call this having rose colored glasses.

Words have meaning, yes.  Whether that meaning actually has meaning, maybe not.  The discussion centered around complete vs. partial rebuild, and given there's no way to really quantify that it becomes a semantic use of words.  Everyone understands the new regime is building the kind of team they want. Whether it's a complete or partial rebuild, based on whether they keep a few players or not, is semantics.  It's just people thinking they're smarter than the other guy at that point.

I don't understand your rose colored glasses comment.

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Words have meaning, yes.  Whether that meaning actually has meaning, maybe not.  The discussion centered around complete vs. partial rebuild, and given there's no way to really quantify that it becomes a semantic use of words.  Everyone understands the new regime is building the kind of team they want. Whether it's a complete or partial rebuild, based on whether they keep a few players or not, is semantics.  It's just people thinking they're smarter than the other guy at that point.

I don't understand your rose colored glasses comment.

thinking of something in terms other than what reality is.