Who would you rather have...Mathews or St. Pierre

The Tomcat

The Steelers will sign QB Brian St. Pierre to the practice squad if he clears waivers (i.e., if his 2003 offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey doesn't claim him as Buffalo Bills property).

I know its KFFL but would the Bills really get another QB at this point?.....The only way I see us getting another QB would be if someone like Gannon becomes available.....Tim Couch maybe....I don't know anything about St.Pierre but his familiarity with our offense could be valuable....any thoughts?

Sorry it was PROFOOTBALL TALK . COM NOT KFFL.....(although kind of the same thing anyways)

Edited by THE TOMCAT

The Steelers will sign QB Brian St. Pierre to the practice squad if he clears waivers (i.e., if his 2003 offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey doesn't claim him as Buffalo Bills property).

I know its KFFL but would the Bills really get another QB at this point?.....The only way I see us getting another QB would be if someone like Gannon becomes available.....Tim Couch maybe....I don't know anything about St.Pierre but his familiarity with our offense could be valuable....any thoughts?

Sorry it was PROFOOTBALL TALK . COM NOT KFFL.....(although kind of the same thing anyways)

20466[/snapback]

I'd say this is just an educated guess on the part of PFT. In order to claim him on waivers don't we have to sign him to the active roster?

And to answer the question, I'd rather have Matthews. St. Pierre has never played in an actual game if I am not mistaken.

I'd say this is just an educated guess on the part of PFT. In order to claim him on waivers don't we have to sign him to the active roster?

And to answer the question, I'd rather have Matthews. St. Pierre has never played in an actual game if I am not mistaken.

20614[/snapback]

Seems you can sign a player that was eligible for one team's PS to your PS. Yesterday, the B'gals signed two of the Skin's cuts - one player went on the roster, and the other was signed to their PS.

Seems you can sign a player that was eligible for one team's PS to your PS.  Yesterday, the B'gals signed two of the Skin's cuts - one player went on the roster, and the other was signed to their PS.

20616[/snapback]

My understanding (which may be wrong in this fast changing CBA world so please correct me with a link to the actual rule if useful) is that in the case you mentioned, the B'gals were signing FA players who were not on anyone's roster rather than signing them off of the 'Skins PS.

In order to sign a player off of another team's PS you must place them on your active roster. In this case, the B'gals were dealing with an unsigned player who was cut and the parties could agree to place them whereever they agreed to place them.

Buffalo can only sign St. Pierre away from Pittsburgh if they sign him to the active roster, which won't happen because Matthews would be considered a more reliable second string guy and the Bills are using a roster spot for Losman. After the season if there is a chance to pick up St. Pierre, then I say go for it.

After the season if there is a chance to pick up St. Pierre, then I say go for it.

20781[/snapback]

I can see that happening. Drew will still be #1 next year with JP the solid #2 after getting some practice time and mop-up duty at the end of this year. The the team can pick up St. Pierre as the #3 for next season with the idea of him moving up to backup JP after that.