So going into camp, is it a qb competition for starter?

Steptide

3 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

Let them battle it out.  May the best man win.  If it's the rookie great if not don't throw him in there and potentially destroy his career.

Letting a QB sit doesnt do anything but keep them from experiencing what they need to so they can become better. The only thing that can destroy a QB's career is if they were never meant to be a NFL QB in the first place.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

Letting a QB sit doesnt do anything but keep them from experiencing what they need to so they can become better. The only thing that can destroy a QB's career is if they were never meant to be a NFL QB in the first place.

No way.  Sitting allows a qb to learn the nuances of the NFL.  If a guy isn't mentally ready to play the game then you're just going to destroy him not develop him by putting him into start day 1.  I believe you can teach the mental aspect of the game where as you cannot teach the physical aspwct of the game.  So if the rookie has all the physical tools but is struggling with reading a defensive coverage or the terminology of the offense letting him sit and learn these thing would be way more beneficial than throwing him to the wolves.  I feel like this does happen to guy which just slowly destroys them over time.

Edited by Zebrastripes

If they trade up, I could see a guy like Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield starting year 1.

I could also see them holding onto picks 21 and 22 and taking whoever falls to them, then grabbing a guy like White on day 2. That gives them, perhaps a better chance of finding a long term solution. 

The plot thickens! I'm genuinely surprised that we got pick 65 for Tyrod too. He's going to have a solid supporting cast in Cleveland also.

3 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Good grief! Can we draft a guy 1st? How can this be answered before then?

How can it not? I can't think of any qb we can sign in free agency or draft that could be automatically the starter. 

6 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

No way.  Sitting allows a qb to learn the nuances of the NFL.  If a guy isn't mentally ready to play the game then you're just going to destroy him not develop him by putting him into start day 1.  I believe you can teach the mental aspect of the game where as you cannot teach the physical aspwct of the game.  So if the rookie has all the physical tools but is struggling with reading a defensive coverage or the terminology of the offense letting him sit and learn these thing would be way more beneficial than throwing him to the wolves.  I feel like this does happen to guy which just slowly destroys them over time.

Hopefully the Bills don't make that mistake again and pick a QB by your description will be nothing more then a career backup. In the NFL you either get it or you won't.

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

Hopefully the Bills don't make that mistake again and pick a QB by your description will be nothing more then a career backup. In the NFL you either get it or you won't.

Rodgers and Jimmy G. we're both lower graded qb prospects.  Both of them sat and learned the nuances of the game.  Look where they are at now far from a backup qb.

2 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Rodgers and Jimmy G. we're both lower graded qb prospects.  Both of them sat and learned the nuances of the game.  Look where they are at now far from a backup qb.

They would have been fine if they started immediately. Both were forced to be behind HoF QBs... The Bills don't have one of those.

Edited by Boca BIlls

1 minute ago, Zebrastripes said:

How can you say this with such certainty?

No different then you saying sitting helped. Hell coaches try to sit the rookies but they end up getting shoved in ASAP b c sitting does nothing in reality.

The only way to get better is to actually play the game, learn the speed of the game.

6 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

No different then you saying sitting helped. Hell coaches try to sit the rookies but they end up getting shoved in ASAP b c sitting does nothing in reality.

The big difference is you cant ruin a guy by letting him learn as much as he can in a back up role.  You most certainly can ruin a guy by starting him prematurely.

Edited by Zebrastripes
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Zebrastripes said:

The big difference is you cant ruin a guy by letting him learn as much as he can in a back up role.  You most certainly can ruin a guy by starting him prematurely.

A QB can only ruin himself if he was never meant to be a starting QB. 

8 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

The only way to get better is to actually play the game, learn the speed of the game.

Completley disagree with this. Some players need to sit and learn. A lot come from offenses that don't translate to the pros or have issues with their footwork or throwing motion.  Throwing a guy in that isn't ready can ruin a player. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Completley disagree with this. Some players need to sit and learn. A lot come from offenses that don't translate to the pros or have issues with their footwork or throwing motion.  Throwing a guy in that isn't ready can ruin a player. 

Will only ruin them if they were never meant to be a starter in the first place. Throughout these guys lives they hire coaches to get them ready for the NFL. By this time in their life they are either ready to face NFL or they aren't.

Edited by Boca BIlls