Anyone Else Here Cut the Cable/Dish?

T&C

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I have a Verizon plan like that (2007 or 2008). The first time someone tried to "help" me with an "upgraded phone" after they started throttling and capping everyone on new contracts I nearly took the guy at Verizon's head off.  Full priced phones only for me so I can get continue to be unlimited and unthrottled - it is lovely.  (And I seldom upgrade my phone... this Galaxy S8 is driving me nuts. I want my old S4 to work again!  :cry: )

I live near Comp Park (como/borden)..we were told Verizon would be available here...about 7 hrs later..still no service offered.

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I have a Verizon plan like that (2007 or 2008). The first time someone tried to "help" me with an "upgraded phone" after they started throttling and capping everyone on new contracts I nearly took the guy at Verizon's head off.  Full priced phones only for me so I can get continue to be unlimited and unthrottled - it is lovely.  (And I seldom upgrade my phone... this Galaxy S8 is driving me nuts. I want my old S4 to work again!  :cry: )

Samsung's Touchwiz is the culprit. The S8 actually is a great piece of hardware. It puzzles me why Samsung feels the need to customize every corner of Android and include so much bloatware to boot.  I would not use a Samsung for a coaster let alone a phone.

I have a Nexus 5x right now which replaced a Nexus 5.  Both are LG phones with plain jane Android on them and they are rock solid. I get Android security updates every month in contrast to the S8 which might get the updates I just received in about 6 months. Why? Because Samsung has to make the same changes to their code base and test prior to release. Assinine.

I am not sure what I will do when I need a new phone.  I am not impressed with the Pixels other than they are unadulterated Android.  Probably look at what Moto is selling then. Many of their phones are straight Android too.

The new Nokia stuff is interesting.  Used to love Nokia phones.  Have to keep an eye on them.

Edited by simool
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

FoxFi App - cost $7 I think

One time purchase.

Lifetime hotspot without paying Verizon's $20 per month Hot Spot fee

I had that but my galaxy has a hotspot app on it.  My brother got charged after averaging 230-280 gig a month to run his whole house - 2 kids and him. Netflix etc.  They took away his free hotspot.  Won't even let him do FoxFi

18 hours ago, KD in CA said:

What do cord cutters do for internet?

I assume if I ditched cable, Comcast would just double the bill for internet, and I assume the small providers don’t have nearly as fast connection.

I use Comcast internet and added hulu. Saved $80/mo.

On 3/7/2018 at 3:31 PM, Misterbluesky said:

I live near Comp Park (como/borden)..we were told Verizon would be available here...about 7 hrs later..still no service offered.

No Verizon service at all? Or no FIOS? Two different things.