Best Bartender in the World

Fadingpain

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

But how much would it cost??

Gin, rum, tequila, vodka, triple sec, plus the mixes, adjusted for 30+ years of inflation in a resort/tourist location....I think they were probably close to $30+?  My beer was probably $2.25? 

On a related note, 20+ years ago we were in a tourist joint in San Francisco and I got the seafood special. I wish they had mentioned that (even back then!) it was I believe $89. That was worth a heads up. It wasn’t the French Laundry. It was tourist seafood. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Gin, rum, tequila, vodka, triple sec, plus the mixes, adjusted for 30+ years of inflation in a resort/tourist location....I think they were probably close to $30+?  My beer was probably $2.25? 

On a related note, 20+ years ago we were in a tourist joint in San Francisco and I got the seafood special. I wish they had mentioned that (even back then!) it was I believe $89. That was worth a heads up. It wasn’t the French Laundry. It was tourist seafood. 

Jeez that's  ridiculous 

I'd be pissed

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Jeez that's  ridiculous 

I'd be pissed

Tourist joints count on suckers! They don’t expect to earn repeat business. I lived in resorts for 30 years before (sadly and against my will) moving to Atlanta. Never be ashamed to ask “how much?”  

I’d move back to a resort area if I could pull it off! 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I lived in Hilton Head, SC back when they still had mini-bottles for all liquor. Tourists would come into a place I frequented and ask for a Long Island ice tea. Bar tenders had to warn them that it would be enormous, and about as much as one mortgage payment. 

I remember those when I worked there. Could never figure out why they used them and never got a straight answer as to why they used them. 

18 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I remember those when I worked there. Could never figure out why they used them and never got a straight answer as to why they used them. 

I think it was all about $$$$ and laziness. They wanted their tax dollars and it made things easy. 

On a side note: I remember when they made it illegal to driive with an open container. I was PISSED! I didn’t know it was legal, and I felt like I really miised out on something! I would have driven around in my 1975 Buick Lesabre convertible (the size of a houseboat) with the top down and my cold beer....wait... maybe I was pissed I had to be discreet? 

26 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

A buddy of mine used to use those at his bar because he was able to get case after case from a friend who was a liquor rep. They had some sort of “deal.” Pretty sure they said “not for resale” on them as well. ?

On 2018-02-21 at 8:45 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Funny this thread came up today...just found out yesterday Eddie Gadowski died on Christmas Eve this past year. Everybody in the Falls knows this guy was the best bartender ever.

Had Fish and Pierogis every Friday at Gadowskis growing up..what a guy

RIP Eddie

I love places like that! Sad that many old characters like that are gone! Cheers to him! 

Edited by thebug

On 2/22/2018 at 8:14 PM, Augie said:

I think it was all about $$$$ and laziness. They wanted their tax dollars and it made things easy. 

On a side note: I remember when they made it illegal to driive with an open container. I was PISSED! I didn’t know it was legal, and I felt like I really miised out on something! I would have driven around in my 1975 Buick Lesabre convertible (the size of a houseboat) with the top down and my cold beer....wait... maybe I was pissed I had to be discreet? 

Thats what I assumed. It was a tax $$ thing.