Buffalo Sports Print Reporters and WGR grudge

plenzmd1

I don't follow many Buffalo Sports journalists on social media, but more and more of them pop up in my timeline with an obvious grudge/snarkiness to the radio guys, particularly Jeremy White. It makes them appear so small and petty in my mind, hence why I don't follow them. And it extends to Wawrow, who was in a twitter beef with Jeremy the last couple of days.

I was wondering if anywhere on here knows why this schism exists in Buffalo, as it seems in so many cities the two forms of media seem to work together, with print guys often appearing on the radio to promote stories etc. BN guys are NEVER on GR. Maybe @JoshBarnettcould lend some insight, and maybe I am giving the radio guys some benefit of the doubt that I should not be???

Edited by plenzmd1

As someone who knows nothing about this I'd imagine it has to do with the fact that many journalists went to school for their trade and perfect their craft of writing perfect sentences

Whilst radio guys speak in statements and without grammar restrictions. Not to mention use Twitter like a pro.

Jealousy that radio guys get the glam, maybe?

On 2/10/2018 at 11:58 AM, plenzmd1 said:

I don't follow many Buffalo Sports journalists on social media, but more and more of them pop up in my timeline with an obvious grudge/snarkiness to the radio guys, particularly Jeremy White. It makes them appear so small and petty in my mind, hence why I don't follow them. And it extends to Wawrow, who was in a twitter beef with Jeremy the last couple of days.

I was wondering if anywhere on here knows why this schism exists in Buffalo, as it seems in so many cities the two forms of media seem to work together, with print guys often appearing on the radio to promote stories etc. BN guys are NEVER on GR. Maybe @JoshBarnettcould lend some insight, and maybe I am giving the radio guys some benefit of the doubt that I should not be???

if by "beef" you mean I called Jeremy White out for being a historic revisionist, then sure.

he stated his case. it was bereft of certain facts. and he got called out for it.

that Jeremy White deleted two of his tweets, one of which was blatantly wrong, reflects the person he is.

as only speaking for myself, to suggest that I have a grudge against every radio person is farfetched and mistaken.

i have no issues with many reporters in town, particularly Paul Hamilton who is very good at his craft, or radio personalities such as Chris Parker. i respect Howard Simon for the job he does.

my relationships or thoughts of them have nothing to do with Jeremy White's dismissive nature or cherry-picking posts that skip many of the things he said and got wrong.

if calling out people for being wrong is petty, i'm guilty as charged.

jw

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, john wawrow said:

if by "beef" you mean I called Jeremy White out for being a historic revisionist, then sure.

he stated his case. it was bereft of certain facts. and he got called out for it.

that Jeremy White deleted two of his tweets, one of which was blatantly wrong, reflects the person he is.

as only speaking for myself, to suggest that I have a grudge against every radio person is farfetched and mistaken.

i have no issues with many reporters in town, particularly Paul Hamilton who is very good at his craft, or radio personalities such as Chris Parker. i respect Howard Simon for the job he does.

my relationships or thoughts of them have nothing to do with Jeremy White's dismissive nature or cherry-picking posts that skip many of the things he said and got wrong.

jw

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about Mike Schopp?

xD

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about Mike Schopp?

xD

i've had drinks with Mike.

i have no issues with how he does his job.

and that's the basis for issues i have with Jeremy White, who failed his listener by dismissing any counter-point, and is now distorting the past by conveniently avoiding things he said.

(and same goes for his former cohort, the pseudo-college-baseball-star, matthew caller.)

jw

1 minute ago, john wawrow said:

i've had drinks with Mike.

i have no issues with how he does his job.

and that's the basis for issues i have with Jeremy White, who failed his listener by dismissing any counter-point, and is now distorting the past by conveniently avoiding things he said.

(and same goes for his former cohort, the pseudo-college-baseball-star, matthew caller.)

jw

So he's not insufferable in person?

interesting.

44 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

jw

Thanks for the reply John. As mentioned, maybe I was missing things. I tend to agree with Jeremy that the tank worked just fine, it was GMTM that was problem. I am not sure what was in the deleted tweets, be interesting to get your take. 

Major impetus for my post was I really enjoyed when you were on the radio during the team sale, and would be great if you would be back on regularly. I enjoy the debate on here, and be great to hear you and Jeremy debates these things... that would be good radio no?

I also would love your take on why no, and i mean no, print guys are ever on GR. Think guys like you , Vogl Skurski, Vic would be  great .

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thanks for the reply John. As mentioned, maybe I was missing things. I tend to agree with Jeremy that the tank worked just fine, it was GMTM that was problem. I am not sure what was in the deleted tweets, be interesting to get your take. 

Major impetus for my post was I really enjoyed when you were on the radio during the team sale, and would be great if you would be back on regularly. I enjoy the debate on here, and be great to hear you and Jeremy debates these things... that would be good radio no?

I also would love your take on why no, and i mean no, print guys are ever on GR. Think guys like you , Vogl Skurski, Vic would be  great .

i can't speak for others.

as for the rest: as noted above, i outlined the reasons i have lost respect for Jeremy White and have noted he is the reason i no longer appear on GR in the morning. my guess is that Jeremy would as much not want me on at this point as i would agree to ever be on the show. that ship sailed a long time ago.

jw

Edited by john wawrow
  • Thank you (+1) 1

John...you are a real journalist with credentials.

When you exchange in online "wars" on platforms like Twitter with the likes of Jeremy from WGR, you come across as being unsophisticated and amateurish.

Just my 2 cents from my perspective.

I used to enjoy when Jerry Sullivan was on WGR. I think at some point WGR management decided to stop having local newspaper media on. Don’t know why. Do they get an appearance fee?

Regardless, Jeremy was right about the tank and made a tough time enjoyable. Those that try to conflate the tank with the rebuild and the attitude of current players, most of whom weren’t on the team for the tank, are wrong. Harrington must be trying to get people to reply to him by continuing this false narrative.

i like team graham and his show on mondays and wednesdays.  i tune in and its a breath of fresh air and through much less of a filter.  i actually really do like sullivan a lot.  its nice they can cover things other than the bills and sabres.  

a also do like jeremy white too though.  our age group isnt really represented in local sports media.  i think he does well on the radio and seems to put effort into watching/attending sports... something schopp, bulldog, and even howard come off at times being tired of... and i like those gus too, its just a little tired.

Now this from PAUL Hamilton on the GR website. The sniping between the media as it relates to the Sabres is really rather funny, can’t believe both sides don’t see how the different viewpoints would be great radio. I mean Fox and ESPN are almost 100% debate now. My guess is both sides take themselves to seriously. 

Wonder who’s Paul is talking about here, Gleason or Harrington would be my guess. 

”It’s hard to believe this with what we’ve seen from the Sabres this season, but the emergence of Casey Nelson has gotten me to thinking about what is in the system right now. Many writers with agendas say the cupboard is bare. I disagree.