Trade Up? What it would take

TigerJ

7 minutes ago, wppete said:

Wow that is crazy expensive to move up. I say stay put go after Marson Rudolph or Baker Mayfield at #21 if they are available and keep building with all those picks and FA.

I like Mayfield a lot.  I doubt he falls to #21.  Rudolph probably will be there, but I am not impressed with him.  I just think qb is too crucial for long-term success to not take a more proactive approach.  I am hoping Mayfield drops just enough that a less expensive trade up becomes possible.  If you do just wait for the draft to come to you, I'd much prefer Jackson.  I can see a team falling in love with his athleticism and taking him early, but he could also be sitting there at #21.  If you take Jackson, however, you better have a decent vet as a bridge qb, because he needs to sit and learn (and of equal importance, put on muscle and weight so the league doesn't RG3 his career.)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I like Mayfield a lot.  I doubt he falls to #21.  Rudolph probably will be there, but I am not impressed with him.  I just think qb is too crucial for long-term success to not take a more proactive approach.  I am hoping Mayfield drops just enough that a less expensive trade up becomes possible.  If you do just wait for the draft to come to you, I'd much prefer Jackson.  I can see a team falling in love with his athleticism and taking him early, but he could also be sitting there at #21.  If you take Jackson, however, you better have a decent vet as a bridge qb, because he needs to sit and learn (and of equal importance, put on muscle and weight so the league doesn't RG3 his career.)

I don't like Jackson, but I'm not big on athletic scramblers.

I fully agree with your assessment of him that he needs to sit and put on some muscle.

I also agree there is no way Baker drops to #21 unless he murders somebody before the draft and on jail, or gets caught with a bevy of hookers.

Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield will all be gone by 15.

One thing to look at is the teams ahead of us in the draft, and their QB situation.

There aren't a bunch who are in dire need, so they may be willing to swap spots with us or others.

We have to take into account what other teams offer.

I think 3 QBs go in top 6.

You have the Browns (twice), broncos, and jets in the top 6.

Darnold and Rosen will be two of those picks.

The third is a wild card.

Mayfield or Allen most likely, with the one not taken sliding down.

The one who slides and Rudolph should be in the teens.

Can't go cheap when it comes to finding a QB.  If Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, or Allen are their guy and they can go up and get him, I won't complain if they give up a bounty.  If Cousins is their guy and they 'over-spend' to get him, I won't complain about that.  With so many teams looking for a QB, gonna have to go all in to get a QB they feel strongly about because other teams will fell strongly about that guy too.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

And there is a 0% chance to get a QB in the draft of you don't, you know, actually draft one.

Everybody acts like the other draft picks we have would be automatic pro bowlers, so God forbid we trade them to gamble on a QB.

Guess what?

Every draft pick is a gamble.

Higher draft picks are less of a gamble.

QBs are a higher priced scratch off ticket than a linebacker is.

That's because if you hit big on a QB it's worth more than hitting big on a linebacker.

That's just a fact.

It costs more to play a $5,000,000 jackpot lottery ticket than it does to play a $1000 jackpot ticket.

You still have to buy the ticket to win.

If we don't gamble on a QB in the draft then we are gambling twice as hard on a free agent, since they most likely won't want to sign with us over Denver.

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

At the end of the day, if you swing and miss, you end up a middling team. If you don't take a chance, you are the same middling team we have been for the last 20+ years...

This franchise will be even more laughable if they don't get a QB, since it continues to be ignored. Hoping to pull a 2nd stringer off of another team or a FA QB and expecting them to do much for you is foolhardy and has not worked out well frequently enough to subscribe to this approach. 

That's what all gamblers say. Gotta play to win. Not exactly a retirement plan, though.

It's worth noting that many of the great franchise quarterbacks were not high picks. So I don't buy this trade-up-at-all-costs mentality, and I bet neither do McBeane.

Hopefully the guy they target won't break the bank. He may even fall to us. That would be awesome. But, please, no "Ditka" moves.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's what all gamblers say. Gotta play to win. Not exactly a retirement plan, though.

It's worth noting that many of the great franchise quarterbacks were not high picks. So I don't buy this trade-up-at-all-costs mentality, and I bet neither do McBeane.

Hopefully the guy they target won't break the bank. He may even fall to us. That would be awesome. But, please, no "Ditka" moves.

Agreed.

I'm not advocating trade up at all costs.

And equating it to "that's what all gamblers say" is true, but the reality is EVERY draft pick is a gamble, so is every free agent.

My point was that high stakes gambling, like for a high pick and a QB, costs more to enter the game.

Many high pick busts have unforeseen consequences that derail their career (Ryan leaf being a closet lunatic, rg3 and luck injuries, getting drafted by the browns lol, etc)

If they do their research, and really like a guy, and don't think he'll be available at 21, they should decide ahead of time what the max are willing to part with, and stick to it. 

Don't compromise and reach.

I'm advocating for a calculated risk, with the assets they deem willing to pay, but if your guy isn't available for the price you want, don't go crazy and bet the rent money too.

5 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't like Jackson, but I'm not big on athletic scramblers.

I fully agree with your assessment of him that he needs to sit and put on some muscle.

I also agree there is no way Baker drops to #21 unless he murders somebody before the draft and on jail, or gets caught with a bevy of hookers.

Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield will all be gone by 15.

One thing to look at is the teams ahead of us in the draft, and their QB situation.

There aren't a bunch who are in dire need, so they may be willing to swap spots with us or others.

We have to take into account what other teams offer.

I think 3 QBs go in top 6.

You have the Browns (twice), broncos, and jets in the top 6.

Darnold and Rosen will be two of those picks.

The third is a wild card.

Mayfield or Allen most likely, with the one not taken sliding down.

The one who slides and Rudolph should be in the teens.

Yeah, it's a pretty complicated calculation.  My preference is for Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.  Allen has crazy arm talent, but a lot of question marks.  He's a gamble I'd be worried about trading up for.  Jackson I would not trade up for, but hypothetically, if he and Rudolph are sitting there at #21, I prefer Jackson.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Yeah, it's a pretty complicated calculation.  My preference is for Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.  Allen has crazy arm talent, but a lot of question marks.  He's a gamble I'd be worried about trading up for.  Jackson I would not trade up for, but hypothetically, if he and Rudolph are sitting there at #21, I prefer Jackson.

I don't agree with the preference, but I do understand the reasoning.

I like Allen better than Mayfield, Rudolph or Jackson.

I would be happy with Allen, Mayfield or Rudolph, somewhere in the teens.

Any higher I'm not sure I'm on board if the price is too high, which to get in that range it might be.