Ron Torbert the head ref in the Titans vs Pats game

Buffalo03

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Players are better athletes at QB now.  They are of the few player groups that likely spend much of the offseason staying in shape.  The best ones do anyway.

It's not just Brady.  Trees, same thing.  Big Ben, both Mannings playing/played forever at high levels. 

They have to be in better shape--the guys hittiing them are better and stronger than in Montana's day.  They are getting hammered more often nowadays.  Look how many QBs went out this year due to injury.  You rarely saw that in Montana's day--1/4 of the starters out at a time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_by_games_played

This is most games played, four QBs are from this era, Farve, Manning, Brady and Brees. After that is Tarkenton of all people who I believe played 14 game seasons. Next are Marino and Elway. I think that the fact that four are from an era where the rules are designed to protect the QB has to be considered. Farve was an animal, he had nineteen injuries and played through eighteen of them. I know at least early in his career he had some pharmaceutical help. Brady by comparison has had five played through four.

I agree with you that conditioning, lifestyle, probably medical care have a good deal to do with longevity. 

By the way I once caught a pass from Tarkenton.

Edited by chris heff

4 minutes ago, chris heff said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_by_games_played

This is most games played, four QBs are from this era, Farve, Manning, Brady and Brees. After that is Tarkenton of all people who I believe played 14 game seasons. Next are Marino and Elway. I think that the fact that four are from an era where the rules are designed to protect the QB has to be considered. Farve was an animal, he had nineteen injuries and played through eighteen of them. I know at least early in his career he had some pharmaceutical help. Brady by comparison has had five played through four.

I agree with you that conditioning, lifestyle, probably medical care have a good deal to do with longevity. 

By the way I once caught a pass from Tarkenton.

If they are trying to protect the QB, all evidence proves they are not doing a very good job of it.

Tarkenton wouldn't survive 3 16 game seasons against today's defenders.  Zero chance.  If he took a fraction of the hits that, say Cam Newton takes, that tiny QB would have been done (possibly 6 feet tall, 190 lbs).

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If they are trying to protect the QB, all evidence proves they are not doing a very good job of it.

Tarkenton wouldn't survive 3 16 game seasons against today's defenders.  Zero chance.  If he took a fraction of the hits that, say Cam Newton takes, that tiny QB would have been done (possibly 6 feet tall, 190 lbs).

Tarkenton is a bigger dude than I thought, but he probably bulked up with age. I haven’t run into him in a while. 

9 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Tarkenton is a bigger dude than I thought, but he probably bulked up with age. I haven’t run into him in a while. 

Those were his playing stats.  He would have looked like a small CB next to Cam, Big Ben, Wentz.

Guys like Brees and Wilson are fitness freaks, so their size isn't as much of a liability these days.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, stevewin said:

I absolutely hate this argument.  Would Lance Armstrong have been legitimately formidable if he wasn't doping?  Would Mark McGwire have been the HR King?  And I'm convinced the cheating in the Cheaters case is even more insidious - systematic and varied and ingrained in their entire operation, for years.

It drives me crazy when people even put Brady and Bellicheat in the GOAT conversation.  They had success BECAUSE they cheated.  Sometimes I feel like I'm in a twilight zone episode where everyone with a pig face is beautiful and admired (yes the Pats** are the pig-faced cheaters in this analogy) - Hellooooo people.  Cheaters!?

Well, I am sorry to exasperate you.  Achievement without virtue is negligible, imo.  I share your wrath towards the Pats**, though perhaps you are more vehement.  Do you think they are not talented apart from cheating?  I grant that one cannot really know how they would do without the extra help.  I guess what I am suggesting is that they appear more contemptible to me, because I surmise they have talent.  A bad team that cheats is almost understandable.  A team that could achieve without it is sinister in a particularly appalling way.