Do You Give Panhandlers On Street Corners Money?

Rico

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

HOPE is huge. Who is happier? The guy who has been homeless and gets a job painting a junky apartment building, then finding a job as a superintendent with a room that gives him a roof over his head? A place to live, a pay check that allows him to buy food.  Or the millionaire developer who is struggling with his empire, possibly losing the mansion on the water, with his portfolio devastated? Bankers chasing him. The trophy wife wants out, maybe taking the kids. Where does the trend arrow point? That dictates a lot of your happiness level, I think.  The developer could still be millions ahead of the superintendent, but who’s happier? Who is more thankful for life? Hope. 

My son said recently he was aided in his recovery by the HOPE of getting his son back. Then he was cripple by the FEAR of losing him. Hope is great. Fear is awful. 

A couple things come to mind with this, for me.

The comparison between the homeless guy who gets a job vs. the millionaire is one I have implored upon my son from a young age (he's only 14 now).

Secondly, the fear of loss is huge.  Love = the fear of losing.  There's no quicker lesson in life to teach us that than becoming parents, is there?  Hope is a phenomenal motivator (another lesson I teach my son).  But I tell him that we can't be crippled by fear.  It is awful. 

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

A couple things come to mind with this, for me.

The comparison between the homeless guy who gets a job vs. the millionaire is one I have implored upon my son from a young age (he's only 14 now).

Secondly, the fear of loss is huge.  Love = the fear of losing.  There's no quicker lesson in life to teach us that than becoming parents, is there?  Hope is a phenomenal motivator (another lesson I teach my son).  But I tell him that we can't be crippled by fear.  It is awful. 

I’d rather be happy than rich. I’d still live in SW FL and play tennis almost every day, and work at the job I loved. Hit the beach when nearby. My wife was raised to be more driven. She was rewarded for achievement as a kid. She’s amazing and has allowed us to do everything possible to help our kids. Family is everything.

When she “retires” she will run a foundation. She has already been sought out to do this. She was on the Board for St Jude Children’s Hospital for years. She just won’t take the paycut yet. These jobs for big foundations pay well, and everyone loves the people handing out money. 

Sorry if this sounds....odd.  In several ways. I’d just like to be happy right now. Tough times... Working on it...

• Like (+1) 1