Tequila, takilled'em

Tequila contest turns deadly

March 08 2005 at 09:20AM

Santo Domingo - The 21-year-old winner of a competition to drink the most tequila died on Monday and three other contestants were gravely ill in the hospital, officials said.

Ricardo Ivan Garcia drank more than 50 shots of tequila on Sunday night at Santo Domingo's Blanc, Dance and Lounge discotheque to win the prize of 10 000 pesos (about R2 000) at a Mexican night celebration.

But he had taken ill, and rushed to hospital where he died within hours, apparently from heart failure brought on by alcohol poisoning, said public prosecutor Jose Hernandez Peguero.

Three other contestants remained in serious condition in the hospital, family members said.

He went out a winner. How can you beat that ? Oh that's right, 51 shots.  :lol:

267641[/snapback]

Well, maybe at this years tailgate we can try to beat the record !!! I think some people came up just short last year, but with 10,000 pesos on the line, we may have some more competition.

Well, maybe at this years tailgate we can try to beat the record !!!  I think some people came up just short last year, but with 10,000 pesos on the line, we may have some more competition.

267645[/snapback]

I make Hammer the morning line favorite at 8/5. Cuervo sends him Christmas cards.

That's an idea.  I'm sure they don't actually make sure these people are really drinking alcohol.

267669[/snapback]

With as much tequila as there would be in that bar, do you think they'd be able to tell the difference? Plus, the bartender is probably as smashed as the judges and contestants.

Didnt something eerily similar happen in Russia? replace tequila with vodka, and pesos with rubles, and you've got your story.