Bills picked a great year to go...

Justice

Seriously. There isn't one single Free agent worth over paying for this year. Including Jonas and Pat. Good job TD. Wait for the June cuts and then make a splash in free agency.

I'll be more interested to see how we do in this year's draft.  There's a lot of good talent at the interior OL positions, and I sure hope we end up with a couple good ones.

266400[/snapback]

Hey Rich, do you think we need to make some moves to get a first round pick or are can we still do well finding OL talent in the second round?

Hey Rich, do you think we need to make some moves to get a first round pick or are can we still do well finding OL talent in the second round?

266423[/snapback]

As of yet, teams don't put the same emphasis on guards and centers in the first round that they do tackles. Good ones, very good ones, can be found in round 2. Actually, most of the guards and centers will be taken after the first round. But, I do think that there will be a few guards taken in the 2nd, possibly before we pick. Even still, there will be a good interior OL available when our pick comes up.

It's interesting to read the differences in the board from week to week.

266413[/snapback]

Even the differences from hour to hour!!! :huh:

I do agree with the original post and with R.Rich, 2006 is a big year for the Bills to make a lot of tough decisions, why cap out now on guys now and look towards the draft to find good interior lineman, especially a center and even aother LB.

As of yet, teams don't put the same emphasis on guards and centers in the first round that they do tackles.  Good ones, very good ones, can be found in round 2.  Actually, most of the guards and centers will be taken after the first round.  But, I do think that there will be a few guards taken in the 2nd, possibly before we pick.  Even still, there will be a good interior OL available when our pick comes up.

266427[/snapback]

I agree Rich. If TD doesn't address the OL with the talent pool available in this draft, I'm really going to start doubting that this team IS heading in the right direction.

I would be pleased if the Bills used three or four picks on O-linemen

in this draft.  Is that is where the strengh is, so be it.  We need the help.

266503[/snapback]

Do we need to revisit the need vs. best available argument?

I alwys want to pick for need and get shouted down for it.

266526[/snapback]

Sure, let's do it!

The "need" vs. "best available" are two approaches, then there is the

unit draft, to build or rebuild a unit. This year is very interesting because

we obviously have needs on the O-line, and this primarily is where the draft

is said to be the strongest. Although, this is also said to be a weal draft

overall.

Why not focus on the weakest unit on the team, in a weak draft that just

happens to have some depth in the interior O-line category?

I don't think either the 'need' or 'best available' situation fits every team every time. I wouldn't say never do either. Sometimes taking the best player works, as it did for the Bills in drafting McGahee with the first round pick a couple years ago. Sometimes it doesn't, as was the case when Tennessee drafted Ben Troupe last year. Then again, you can draft for need and end up better off (Ruben Brown) or no better and maybe even worse (Erik Flowers).

266526[/snapback]

Because that's how you end up with guys like Erik Flowers and Travares Tillman. But don't let little things like facts get in the way... :D

It's also how you end up with Bruce Smiths and Jim Kellys.

:D

266834[/snapback]

Who weren't the best players available when they were picked? Uh, OK. Drafting for need in the very same draft that lotted Bruce Smith also got us Derrick Burroughs. Instead of Jerry Rice.

It also got us Tony Hunter instead of Darrell Green.

Who weren't the best players available when they were picked?  Uh, OK.  Drafting for need in the very same draft that lotted Bruce Smith also got us Derrick Burroughs.  Instead of Jerry Rice.

It also got us Tony Hunter instead of Darrell Green.

266835[/snapback]

Drafting the best player available (which is a relative term, because it relies on the evaluations of the team, which isn't foolproof) isn't always the best move. I'll bet the Titans valued Ben Troupe as the best available at the time, but they would've been better suited using that pick on an O lineman (maybe Justin Smiley or Jacob Rogers) or even a linebacker (like Dontarrious Thomas), something they now acknowledge they really need. Maybe if they had taken Thomas there wouldn't be a need to go after a guy like Derrick Johnson of Texas this year, though they could still look to bring in a CB like Pac Man Jones of WVA, especially after letting Rolle go.

Don't roll your eyes at me, punk.  :D

Seriously, there were so many people clamoring for us to fill our need at QB with Flutie instead of Smith that I'm truly surprised that was one of the examples that you used.

266845[/snapback]

Well, those people were idiots.

Anyone that would have taken 4'1" Flutie over Bruce Smith should hav had their head examined.

My point is, picking for need does not necessarily equate to picking poorly.

Pittsburgh needed a QB last year and took Roethlisberger. Worked pretty well, no?

All this draft talk and not one Nugent post... good job guys! As for OL on draft day, someone should fall into the 2nd round.

Alex Barron, Florida State

Jammal Brown, Oklahoma

Khalif Barnes, Washington

Marcus Johnson, Mississippi

Adam Terry, Syracuse