Bills Chiefs postgame thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, Marty McFly said:

Thats crazy nothing passed 20 yrds. I wonder if its bc the plays werent there or if he jus wasnt seeing those reads open.

It seems as if the early season success with Smith throwing downfield to Hill and Kelce for big plays was a mirage. 

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It seems as if the early season success with Smith throwing downfield to Hill and Kelce for big plays was a mirage. 

I was reading an article about them using college spread type plays weaved into their west coast offense. Teams are using variations of cover 2 man zone to shut them down.  Once Pittsburgh laid the blue print to stop it, they haven't been able to adjust yet.

Kinda like what happened at the 2nd jets game to our defense. 

8 reasons to be encouraged, 2 reasons to worry

By Ryan Talbot | Contributing writer

The Buffalo Bills ended their three game skid in Week 12 after upsetting the Kansas City Chiefs 16-10. Quite a few positives could be taken from the game, but there were a few negatives that came from the win as well. Here are 8 reasons to be encouraged and 2 reasons to worry about the Bills following their sixth win of the season.

ENCOURAGED: Team performance

ENCOURAGED: Travaris Cadet

ENCOURAGED: Charles Clay

ENCOURAGED: Tre'Davious White

WORRIED: Offensive play-calling

ENCOURAGED: Run defense

ENCOURAGED: Pressure

ENCOURAGED: Keeping composure

ENCOURAGED: Chiefs' 1st round pick

WORRIED: Offensive line play

TOP 5 GRADES:

TE Charles Clay, 86.2 overall grade

Micah Hyde, 85.6 overall grade

CB Tre’Davious White, 84.2 overall grad

LB Preston Brown, 81.0 overall grade

Edge Jerry Hughes, 78.8 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:

LT DION DAWKINS, 47.9 OVERALL GRADE

Playing tackle in the NFL as a rookie is far from easy, but Bills’ second-round pick Dawkins has adjusted well to life as a pro. He wasn’t at his best against the Chiefs, but his mauling run-blocking skillset remained evident. Dawkins earned a grade of 85.0 in the ground game, using his stout frame to dominate on the front foot. In pass protection however, Dawkins looked less comfortable. He gave up five hurries, including a handful of quick pressures, only bailed out by Tyrod Taylor’s quick feet. So far though, it’s a positive start for the Temple product.

QB TYROD TAYLOR, 71.6 OVERALL GRADE

Returning to the starting lineup after a brief hiatus, Taylor showed he remains a viable NFL quarterback. Although far from spectacular, Buffalo’s signal-caller took care of the football, unlike his counterpart in red. He was methodical underneath (missing only three passes shorter than 10 yards) and quick to pickup yards on the ground when opportunities presented themselves. Taylor was fortunate on one throw, tossing a risky pass that Marcus Peters really should have picked. He also missed a couple of open passes low, perhaps through being overly conservative. Ultimately however, Taylor gives Buffalo a chance to win low-scoring games.

MICAH HYDE, 85.6 OVERALL GRADE

Hyde was only targeted twice and did not yield a reception thrown into his coverage. Hyde also added a run stop in defense and had another tackle as well. Nothing will pop out on the stat sheet for Hyde but his consistency is notable.

CB TRE’DAVIOUS WHITE, 84.2 OVERALL GRADE

White yielded one reception for 6 yards on 3 passes thrown into his coverage. White also had the game-sealing interception on an in route that was thrown behind the receiver. Time and time again White and the Bills defense forced the Chiefs offense off the field on third down

59 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

From what I have read defenses made adjustments that now are trying to force Smith to hit more medium range passes which he is far less likely to do because the coverage have LB's sitting for INT's. They also starting losing some jump balls and just seem to have given up on shots deep which i dont understand.

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

From what I have read defenses made adjustments that now are trying to force Smith to hit more medium range passes which he is far less likely to do because the coverage have LB's sitting for INT's. They also starting losing some jump balls and just seem to have given up on shots deep which i dont understand.

You'd think the brilliant Andy Reid would have anticipated the adjustments defenses have made with a plan to counteract what DCs are now doing.

47 minutes ago, Marty McFly said:

I was reading an article about them using college spread type plays weaved into their west coast offense. Teams are using variations of cover 2 man zone to shut them down.  Once Pittsburgh laid the blue print to stop it, they haven't been able to adjust yet.

Kinda like what happened at the 2nd jets game to our defense. 

Its why the defense staying in their lane and properly tackling is soo clutch. Our LB core in is not very talented and does not have the talent to of come mistakes in scheme. I will say the Jets game to me was the offense making too many mistakes that finally just broke the will of the D. I think had Matthews not fumbled and the game been 10-10 at halftime the Bills would've been in a better place, in hindsight they came out very jittery on both sides despite only being down by 3.

And yea read the same thing on the Cover 2. I am surprised Reid hasn't been able to adjust though he typically is quite strong at that.

Tyrod Taylor and the Bills' defense

A league full of decision makers who prize leadership out of their quarterbacks must have taken notice how Taylor handled the rocky previous two weeks. He accepted his benching with equanimity, leaned on his love of the game when it was most tested and then delivered when he inevitably was called upon again. Taylor hasn't shown anything different in his six quarters of play since coming back off the bench than he showed before, leading the Bills to 33 points with one turnover.

He can be spectacular for a few plays at a time, like early during Sunday's winagainst the Chiefs when he converted a third-down throw while getting hit low, just a play before he threw a pinpoint touchdown rolling to his left. He can be careful, almost to a fault, like a parallel universe Alex Smith. But Taylor has showed the steadfast temperament required of an NFL starting quarterback, especially one that resides in the middle class of signal callers who earn hefty contracts with little lasting respect from fans and management. I don't think he'll get a "financial apology" contract in Buffalo like Donovan McNabb once did, but how Taylor handled this drama should only help him find another starting job.

If the Bills struggled to turn to Nathan Peterman during the season, just imagine trying to do it in March if Taylor leads the Bills to the playoffs for the first time since 1999. Buffalo has the Patriots twice coming up, but the improved defensive effort Sunday led by rookie cornerback Tre'Davious White and safety Micah Hyde could still help the Bills finish with a winning record.

I have no idea if the return to form on defense will stick, just like no one had any idea what was going to happen when the national media collectively decided the Bills were "for real" just before their "Thursday Night Football" loss to the Jets sent the team into a tailspin. Buffalo still has two games left against Miami and another against the Colts. Wins in those games would get them to nine, which might just be enough. After an offseason that looked like a rebuilding project and a three-week stretch as the worst team in football, that sounds pretty good.