An amazing secondary

Dawgg

Yeah, our #2 overall Defense blows.

Would that be the same defense that got spanked by Pitts 2nd and 3rd Stringers?

Let's get real here. Yes, the bills have a pretty good defense... but... the only >.500 team they manged to beat was the Jets. So, if you hang your hat on the bills #2 ranking on D, you're gonna lose that hat.

Furthermore... with the bills losing Pat Williams, it's not only that DT position they've managed to mess up, because without a better than average DT next to him, Sam Adams is totally ineffective. One Adams starts to get double teamed, he's done... and none of the the Bills DEs consistently beat their man straight up. So, unless someone emerges at DT, get used to watching that #2 defense get consistenly busted up the middle.

Thank you. Add to that that we aren't playing the pathetic NFC West next year, the going will get much tougher. I'm sorry, but I just don't think McGee and Thomas are adequate #2 and #3 corners, respectively.

Would that be the same defense that  got spanked by Pitts 2nd and 3rd Stringers?

Let's get real here.  Yes, the bills have a pretty good defense... but... the only >.500 team they manged to beat was the Jets.  So, if you hang your hat on the bills #2 ranking on D, you're gonna lose that hat.

Furthermore... with the bills losing Pat Williams, it's not only that DT position they've managed to mess up, because without a better than average DT next to him, Sam Adams is totally ineffective.  One Adams starts to get double teamed, he's done... and none of the the Bills DEs consistently beat their man straight up.  So, unless someone emerges at DT, get used to watching that #2 defense get consistenly busted up the middle.

265101[/snapback]

Would that be the same defense that  got spanked by Pitts 2nd and 3rd Stringers?

Let's get real here.  Yes, the bills have a pretty good defense... but... the only >.500 team they manged to beat was the Jets.  So, if you hang your hat on the bills #2 ranking on D, you're gonna lose that hat.

Furthermore... with the bills losing Pat Williams, it's not only that DT position they've managed to mess up, because without a better than average DT next to him, Sam Adams is totally ineffective.  One Adams starts to get double teamed, he's done... and none of the the Bills DEs consistently beat their man straight up.  So, unless someone emerges at DT, get used to watching that #2 defense get consistenly busted up the middle.

265101[/snapback]

I was at the Pittsburgh game and I honestly think that the only play that the Defense really broke down was that backup RB's long run...and it came with Pat Williams getting pushed FAR back and out of the play. Plus, put the game into perspective...Drew & Company werent doing anything on offense, and the Defense was forced to be on the field for an insane amount of time. I remember them looking amazingly tired and I was hoping that our offense could give them a break, but alas...they couldnt. Reminded me a lot of the Todd Collins year when our Defense looked exhausted all the time since Collins couldnt string an offensive series together. No matter how good a Defense is, putting them on the field for 75% of the game always results in failure. No NFL conditioning is THAT good.

Our Defense is damn good, and I dont share your pessimistic outlook that one player out of 11 will cause the downfall of our Defense. Pat Williams will be missed, but Ron Edwards or Tim Anderson I think can fill the void decently. Of course there will be a drop-off when you lose a player like Pat Williams, but it wont be back-breaking by any means.

You sell the defense out too quickly...you blame them for not "winning" games, but they cant do everything by themselves. We cant beat teams unless the offense pulls its weight, and in some games it was a one sided affair.

265101[/snapback]

Put that blame on the front 7. They couldn't stop the Scrubs from running

over them....Some whinni name Willy parker ran roughshod over us on

that day...On a 9 minute drive, they ran the ball every single time and our

front 7 couldn't stop them and get off the field....

They just signed Ken Lucas and they have two young studs in Ricky Manning jr and Chris Gamble.  They have an awesome front 4... I wish our secondary was that good.

265094[/snapback]

i agree, their secondary looks very sharp........combined with the best DL in football, they are going to be tough to move the ball on.........i wouldn't be surprised to see them add a OLB first day of the draft as well, although they still have a lot of questions on offense that need addressed.........

Actually, if you watched the game you would realize that the Steelers' starting OL played the entire game.

265101[/snapback]

Let's get real here.   Yes, the bills have a pretty good defense... but... the only >.500 team they manged to beat was the Jets.  So, if you hang your hat on the bills #2 ranking on D, you're gonna lose that hat.

265101[/snapback]

So what you're saying is that the fact that NE got spanked by Pitt during the regular season somehow means they weren't REALLY the world champions? I'm sorry, but our D (nor our O, nor our ST) is not going to be perfect every quarter of every game. Our D did a helluva lot more right than they did wrong last year, even in the game against Pitt.

Put that blame on the front 7. They couldn't stop the Scrubs from running

over them....Some whinni name Willy parker ran roughshod over us on

that day...On a 9 minute drive, they ran the ball every single time and our

front 7 couldn't stop them and get off the field....

265319[/snapback]

Again, the Pitt starting o-line played the entire game. Let's not rewrite history.

Give him a year. Ohio State sure knows how to develop corners... Clements, Winfield, Plummer, etc...

Chris Gamble is a stud? This Panthers season ticket holder disagrees.

265322[/snapback]

Give him a year.  Ohio State sure knows how to develop corners... Clements, Winfield, Plummer, etc...

265337[/snapback]

Yep. Last season, Nate Clements had 53 solo tackles, 20 assists, and 6 picks. Gamble had 68 solos, 6 assists and 6 interceptions. I'd expect that with experience, Gamble's number of assists will rise - an indication of learning how to break coverage and come to the ball.

Again, the Pitt starting o-line played the entire game. Let's not rewrite history.

265336[/snapback]

i see your point, but remember we knew they had to run because brian st. pierre was qbing (he's atrocious). also, the bills were facing their 4th string rb, and he still managed to collect yardage.

I wish our secondary was that good.

You will see our secondary be among the top 3 in football this year. With the possible exception of Philly, noone's is better.

Safties we have to be #1, with Milloy and Troy Vincent. Remember TV made the transition on the fly last year. With a whole offseason to prepare, I think we're looking at a Pro-Bowler there.

Corners, Nate was rated #1 in football by Dr. Z this past year (an opinion I respect), McGee is an up and coming playmaker who really only had one bad game when named the starter. Thomas is adequate at nickel.

As it is currently constructed, I put it in the top 3.

Now, if Law does sign with us (below market, incentive laden, with Lawyer's goading), pushing McGee to nickel, you can forget it...#1 in football.

Yep. Last season, Nate Clements had 53 solo tackles, 20 assists, and 6 picks. Gamble had 68 solos, 6 assists and 6 interceptions. I'd expect that with experience, Gamble's number of assists will rise - an indication of learning how to break coverage and come to the ball.

265377[/snapback]

Those stats are great but, don't be too hasty. It doesn't tell the story of the number of times he was out of position and got burned. I saw most of the Panthers games last year and Gamble showed a lot of promise but I wouldn't be that excited about him yet. Also, since he was the rookie last year QB's went after him a lot, so he had many more opportunities to make plays.