NY Daily News: Jets no interest in Law

JoeF

I think the Coles deal really puts them up against it cap wise.

Lawless in NY

Honestly, I don't think the Bills have interest in Law either. I would redo and extend Nate right now. Something like $14 M SB and $37 Million for 6 years.... The guy is a perennial pro bowler in the making (this past year begins the streak) and this is market value--if we structure it like this...I am still pissed about the Jacksonville play--but he is a stud corner who likes Buffalo--just pay him.

Cap hits in parenthesis

05 750K ($3.08M--about $1.5 M in cap savings this year)

06 $1.25 M ($3.58M)

07 $4 M ($6.33M)

08 $5 M ($7.33M)

09 $5.5 M ($7.83 M)

10 $6.5 M ($8.83M)

This is $1 M More contract value and $1M in gauranteed money than Ken Lucas's contract with the Panthers...

I think the Coles deal really puts them up against it cap wise. 

Lawless in NY

Honestly, I don't think the Bills have interest in Law either.  I would redo and extend Nate right now.  Something like $14 M SB and $37 Million for 6 years....  The guy is a perennial pro bowler in the making (this past year begins the streak) and this is market value--if we structure it like this...I am still pissed about the Jacksonville play--but he is a stud corner who likes Buffalo--just pay him.

Cap hits in parenthesis

05  750K      ($2.08M--about $2.5 M in cap savings this year)

06  $1.25 M  ($2.55M)

07  $4 M        ($5.33M)

08  $5 M        ($6.33M)

09  $5.5 M        ($6.83 M)

10  $6.5 M        ($7.83M)

This is $1 M More contract value and $1M in gauranteed money than Ken Lucas's contract with the Panthers...

264814[/snapback]

Good job on those numbers, and good post! The problem is, I doubt NC would accept it. Smoot wants much more, but hey, you never know.

Good job on those numbers, and good post! The problem is, I doubt NC would accept it. Smoot wants much more, but hey, you never know.

264820[/snapback]

I doubt if Smoot gets more than Lucas, Bill..Lucas is pretty darn good in run support, Fred is a little timid...I think Smoot gets in the range of Lucas because of his a tad better coverage skills..

Gary Baxter signed with the Browns for 6 years, $30M, $10.5 M SB he was an up and comer--but still the 2nd best corner on the Ravens...

Law's still having trouble getting around. He has a very serious injury and may not even play next year. A little bit of a shame - the guy has been a terrific player for stretches in his career. I doubt he's going to get any kind of big bucks this offseason.

I like Ty Law, but I would much rather see the Bills lock up Nate. I know he will be expensive, but we'll have to accept that. If things do not get done with Nate Clements this year, the Bills do have both a Franchise tag & a Transition tag available. Should the Bills use either one of them on Nate?

Do you really think Nate is a stud cornerback? I don't. There's no reason to throw that much cash at one player in the NFL --- it doesn more harm than good no matter who the player is.

265032[/snapback]

RJ--I do think he is a stud cornerback and this is the market price. Nate has now made a pro bowl...

Fred Smoot-no pro bowl

Ken Lucas - pro bowl alternate just like Nate, 6 years, $36M, $13 M signing bonus

Gary Baxter - no pro bowl 6 years, $30 M, 10.5 M signing bonus

If we can get him for cheaper--we should obviously....and maybe there is a $3 or 4 million in salary over 6 years home team discount--but its not going to be significant -- this market is set..and its probably not going to decrease by the '06 offseason...

Again just my opinion...

Honestly, I don't think the Bills have interest in Law either. I would redo and extend Nate right now. Something like $14 M SB and $37 Million for 6 years.... The guy is a perennial pro bowler in the making (this past year begins the streak) and this is market value--if we structure it like this...I am still pissed about the Jacksonville play--but he is a stud corner who likes Buffalo--just pay him.

Cap hits in parenthesis

05 750K ($3.08M--about $1.5 M in cap savings this year)

06 $1.25 M ($3.58M)

07 $4 M ($6.33M)

08 $5 M ($7.33M)

09 $5.5 M ($7.83 M)

10 $6.5 M ($8.83M)

Why the high base in the last 3 years. Why not keep the total value the same, but offer 17 mil in SB, thereby lessening the numbers over the last 3 years. Spending over 7 mil on a player, even a very good one, seems like a recipe for cap hell.

More habit than anything else billsfan--could do it either way....the cap increases every year too...

I think with a 17 mil SB, he's more likely to bit on the deal. He's get one of the highest SB's for a CB in the last couple of years, and thats what players and agents really care about.

Then the numbers would look something like this...

Cap hits in parenthesis

05 750K ($3.58M--about $1.5 M in cap savings this year)

06 $1.25 M ($4.083M)

07 $4 M ($6.83M)

08 $4 M ($6.83M)

09 $4.5 M ($7.33 M)

10 $4.5 M ($7.33M)

The last couple of years are a bit more workable with the higher SB.

When and if we sign Nate (and I'm for signing him at $6M per year) the first thing MM should do is take him off freakin' punt return duty. That's an accident waiting to happen, and he's not worth the 5 extra yards he might get.

We have other punt returners on the squad, and there are some good WR in the draft who return kicks.