NY Daily News: Jets no interest in Law

JoeF

When and if we sign Nate (and I'm for signing him at $6M per year) the first thing MM should do is take him off freakin' punt return duty. That's an accident waiting to happen, and he's not worth the 5 extra yards he might get.

We have other punt returners on the squad, and there are some good WR in the draft who return kicks.

265977[/snapback]

I dont think we could EVER get him for 6 mil per season, but I fully agree about the punt return issue!

Last season, both our starting corners were returning kicks....a disaster waiting to happen. Just ask Jason Sehorn.

CBs are now to costly imo to place at such risk.

I'll repeat what I posted in another thread because I am a postslut:

It could very well be that because Law is in a wheelchair, and after he makes his rounds realizes that no one is going to break the bank for him until he proves he is back to 100%, that he feels his best bet is to sign a one year contract and prove himself and then do this FA thing next year. The best place, perhaps, for him to do this, would be to re-unite with his buddy Lawyer, stick it to the Pats, join the Bills veteran defense and secondary which will very likely be at the top of the league again, and work his way back to the top of his game. It would help the Bills in the short run. Put Mcgee back at nickle back which will be a short step back but be able to be on the field and learn from one of the best. Not kill our salary cap with a huge bonus. And then, if we can't resign Nate, have a leg up on teams trying to sign Law in 2006.

It could very well be that because Law is in a wheelchair, and after he makes his rounds realizes that no one is going to break the bank for him until he proves he is back to 100%, that he feels his best bet is to sign a one year contract and prove himself and then do this FA thing next year. The best place, perhaps, for him to do this, would be to re-unite with his buddy Lawyer, stick it to the Pats, join the Bills veteran defense and secondary which will very likely be at the top of the league again, and work his way back to the top of his game. It would help the Bills in the short run. Put Mcgee back at nickle back which will be a short step back but be able to be on the field and learn from one of the best. Not kill our salary cap with a huge bonus. And then, if we can't resign Nate, have a leg up on teams trying to sign Law in 2006.

Well said!

Add to this the benefit of having Law as a bargaining chip when dealing with Nate, and having the Law-Clements for a year as tutors for McGee. If Law is unready by Game 1 of the real season, he'd still be a superb mentor on a 1-year contract.