Amazon announces Lord of the Rings series

/dev/null

Interesting.

The series will be about events before "The Lord of the Rings", but it's after "The Hobbit".

So this will have to be all screenplay, and not based on written material.

I can get into that.

I'm still waiting for Peter Jackson to make a move on the Temeraire series. That would be great.

Interesting.  Lots of stuff in "The Silmarillion" if they can get access to it (it is why the the two "blues" were not named in movie).  I sort of have Amazon Prime (student version for my daughter when she was going to college) but never attempted to watch anything on it and not sure if I have rights; I did not have it when I attempted to by pad on Deals for my wife for her birthday.

5 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

While he overdid the Hobbit, there’s no arguing that the LOTR is one of the best, if not the best, fantasy movies/trilogies ever. 

It sure is.

The Hobbit did not need to be three movies long, but it was very entertaining.

49 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

It sure is.

The Hobbit did not need to be three movies long, but it was very entertaining.

Blame MGM and their grab for money. I think Jackson was kind of screwed out of funding. He's said something to that extent in interviews, that the MGM bankruptcy messed up a LOT of plans. 

9 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

While he overdid the Hobbit, there’s no arguing that the LOTR is one of the best, if not the best, fantasy movies/trilogies ever. 

I'm a big time fan of the books going way back.  I thought he more or less ruined them.

His CGI world was a failure and unfortunately, he reminds me of a guy like George Lucas.

Way too much interest in techno gadgets and that side of film making...but very little art on display.

Poor casting; predictable; thinking his ideas for the books were better than Tolkien's.

I can go on.

The good news is that I think the door is open for a different type of director to come along, some day, and try it again, with a totally different approach to film making.  That will take some time though.

58 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I'm a big time fan of the books going way back.  I thought he more or less ruined them.

His CGI world was a failure and unfortunately, he reminds me of a guy like George Lucas.

Way too much interest in techno gadgets and that side of film making...but very little art on display.

Poor casting; predictable; thinking his ideas for the books were better than Tolkien's.

I can go on.

The good news is that I think the door is open for a different type of director to come along, some day, and try it again, with a totally different approach to film making.  That will take some time though.

Are you talking about the Hobbit trilogy or the LOTR one? If its the latter, I completely disagree. He went all out for realism, only using CGI when it was actually needed. The rest was all practical effects.