T. Henry, not signing Williams and Jennings

jahnyc

1. If we can't get a first day pick, we should keep Henry. I understand that it is the last year of this deal and that he may hold out, but he is reasonably priced and would be an outstanding back-up for Willis next year, particularly since we can't be entirely sure about Willis' durability.

2. If some of these numbers are accurate, maybe we did not have the cap space to sign either Williams or Jennings. That would explain the lack of effort in re-signing them (I still think that TD made a decision to move forward without them a long time ago).

3. I know many of you have praised TD for not overpaying and his overall management of the cap, but I am still a bit mystified about the cap numbers for Williams, Clements, Wire and Moulds. I also think, as noted above, that we did not have the cap room for P. Williams or Jennings and that is at least part of the reason for their departure.

I am still a bit mystified about the cap numbers for Williams, Clements, Wire and Moulds.

Williams, Clements and Wire are all on their rookie contracts. Not much you can do about that. Tastes like chicken.

Moulds...you can blame on donahoe if you like, but he is one heck of a reciever, and when TD came here back in 2001 getting EM an extension was one of the first things he did. He recently extended EM as well, which will spread his cap hit out some.

2.  If some of these numbers are accurate, maybe we did not have the cap space to sign either Williams or Jennings.  That would explain the lack of effort in re-signing them (I still think that TD made a decision to move forward without them a long time ago).

I disagree.... If TD really wanted to keep either one, he would have got real creative & found the cash. He has other plans in mind on staffing this team ;)

I agree, it would be the right thing to do, but I also don't want the Bills to give him away. I guess it is a non-issue since he probably would not report to the Bills. 

say he doesn't get traded, then chooses not to report to training camp. Wouldn't he be fined, suspended w/o pay? What's the maximum reprocussion allowed by the CBA?? Hopefully they won't take away his happy meal money. After all, the guy still needs to date...

Are you sure that the salaries of Wire, Williams and Clements are the result of typical rookie contracts. With regard to Williams, I am not aware of many high first round picks making $9 million in base. For Clements, I thought that most first round picks in the last year of the their contract typically don't make big money (because of the large up-front bonus received upon signing).

I guess what I am asking, is whether the escalators in the contracts of these players is typical. I don't know the answer, but I was surprised that Wire, a back-up safety, somehow managed to trigger his escalators.

we need to let henry go we will find some one

264447[/snapback]

That would be a very bad idea. If we can't trade him then we keep him. If he wants to play elsewhere next year (he can't "sit out, B word and moan"), he'll have to swallow his pride and be the backup. It would be stupid to make yourself a cancer on the last year of your contract.

I think he wants to leave so badly now and still get paid that he will do what's necessary.

Before I get some nasty posts, I thought that I read that Williams counts $9 million in cap space. this year. I described it in an earlier post as $9 million in base. I assume some of that must be from residual bonus or roster payments.

Henry was anything but an outstanding backup for Willis in 2004. Why would 2005 be any different? Trade him for anything you can get asap.

264491[/snapback]

I agree absolutely. The dropoff when Travis came in for Willis was dramatic.

Blitz pickup was a joke. Does Travis think "this is not my job, let a fullback do this blitz pickup schitt!" or what? He does it very poorly and half-heartedly.

I would like to see Travis gone very soon. For a 4th rounder, whatever...

1.  If we can't get a first day pick, we should keep Henry.  I understand that it is the last year of this deal and that he may hold out, but he is reasonably priced and would be an outstanding back-up for Willis next year, particularly since we can't be entirely sure about Willis' durability.

2.  If some of these numbers are accurate, maybe we did not have the cap space to sign either Williams or Jennings.  That would explain the lack of effort in re-signing them (I still think that TD made a decision to move forward without them a long time ago).

3.  I know many of you have praised TD for not overpaying and his overall management of the cap, but I am still a bit mystified about the cap numbers for Williams, Clements, Wire and Moulds.  I also think, as noted above, that we did not have the cap room for P. Williams or Jennings and that is at least part of the reason for their departure.

264446[/snapback]

I'm pretty much convinced that Henry won't get traded, if he does it will be after the draft when a team needs a RB badly. I have also come to realize, and respect the fact, that TD did not go apeshit and sign anyone for too much $$ on day 1 and 2 of free agency. Look at his past record and it will show that his best signings have come late in the FA period, ie Spikes, Fletcher, Vincent.

Remember that TH and his agent are out actively seeling teams for trades. If they can't find any takers, then it would be in TH's best interest to play one more year, do a good job, and improve his free agent standing in 2006.

PTR

Does Travis think "this is not my job, let a fullback do this blitz pickup schitt!" or what? He does it very poorly and half-heartedly.

264546[/snapback]

Maybe he just does it cluelessly. I remember Henry absolutely destroying Zach "Speaking Of Overrated" Thomas on a delay blitz. Gash blasted him the next time he came, and I don't think they sent him again the rest of that game.