My Thoughts on the Season So Far

JPicc2114

Then don't come in here and start attacking me immediately, when I post a clear statistical based observation, because I will jump right down your throat.

You'll jump down my throat? You're terrifying! Will you warn me when that's about to happen so I can go hide under my bed? What a joke...

Stats aren't much help in the actual game played on a given day.

You can pile up 6 very crummy opponents in a row in the NFL these days.

In college they crow about a RB getting amazing yards, but half the games were against Sisters of the Poor cupcakes.

You'll jump down my throat? You're terrifying! Will you warn me when that's about to happen so I can go hide under my bed? What a joke...

You are the joke, because I can statistically challenge every single one of your disagreements of what I said.

At the start of the season, we were slated as a 4-12 to 6-10 team according to many professional prognosticators. While they're not always right, they are expert at using their formulas to predict results based on talent. As we sit today, we will meet or exceed those expectations even under the worst-case scenarios. This is not due to misrepresentation of talent, but rather due to the coaching and management.

We have discovered some positive results at positions of need, such as our secondary. We have cut ties with players that don't fit the team model. We have also identified areas of future need, such as the OL and DL. Though, we have found some players that may grow into those roles, or may not. We have found guys like Matt Milano who will eventually make sorting out the LB roles easier.

It's easy to second guess this process when you view the microcosm of single games or even first seasons under this staff. If instead you look at this year as the learning experience that it really is, we ought to be pleasantly surprised. We may have fewer holes to fill than originally believed, and at the same time, we have a few holes to fill that we believed were passable.

As we move through the second-half of the season, I bet we'll win some games we didn't expect to win, and undoubtedly, we'll lose some we should've been able to win. At the end of the year, we, and the coaching staff and management will have a much better idea where to use all those draft picks and cap money to fill those holes and take the next step.

Kudos to McDermott and Beane for overachieving with a team that none of us figured would be any good. Honestly, I can't wait to see how this develops over the next several seasons. That's what makes this sport so darned much fun!

At the start of the season, we were slated as a 4-12 to 6-10 team according to many professional prognosticators. While they're not always right, they are expert at using their formulas to predict results based on talent. As we sit today, we will meet or exceed those expectations even under the worst-case scenarios. This is not due to misrepresentation of talent, but rather due to the coaching and management.

We have discovered some positive results at positions of need, such as our secondary. We have cut ties with players that don't fit the team model. We have also identified areas of future need, such as the OL and DL. Though, we have found some players that may grow into those roles, or may not. We have found guys like Matt Milano who will eventually make sorting out the LB roles easier.

It's easy to second guess this process when you view the microcosm of single games or even first seasons under this staff. If instead you look at this year as the learning experience that it really is, we ought to be pleasantly surprised. We may have fewer holes to fill than originally believed, and at the same time, we have a few holes to fill that we believed were passable.

As we move through the second-half of the season, I bet we'll win some games we didn't expect to win, and undoubtedly, we'll lose some we should've been able to win. At the end of the year, we, and the coaching staff and management will have a much better idea where to use all those draft picks and cap money to fill those holes and take the next step.

Kudos to McDermott and Beane for overachieving with a team that none of us figured would be any good. Honestly, I can't wait to see how this develops over the next several seasons. That's what makes this sport so darned much fun!

Good post. Realism at its finest!