SSLB could use an upgrade

Houston signed Morlon Greenwood, and are reportedly looking to trade Sharper to escape his huge cap number. Obviously, Baltimore would seem the likely return destination for him, but if he were cut and available at reasonable cost, it would certainly be worth the Bills taking a look at him, IMO. Sharper is an OLB talent playing ILB for the Texans, and has been rolling up big tackle numbers since he was acquired in the expansion draft. He is a better player than Posey at run defense, pass coverage and he can get to the QB. With a potential dropoff looming at DT, perhaps a better player on the strong side would be helpful.

On the flip-side, oft-injured Seahawks WLB Anthony Simmons was just released. He was a hot free agent two years ago and considered a possiBillity before they signed Spikes. Could he switch to the strong side? At 6'0" he is short, but he is not small, and is one of the fastest LB's in the NFL, and the best defender on the Seahags, when NOT injured. Missed 9 games with wrist injury in 04'. When healthy, he is a playmaker.

Houston signed Morlon Greenwood, and are reportedly looking to trade Sharper to escape his huge cap number.  Obviously, Baltimore would seem the likely return destination for him, but if he were cut and available at reasonable cost, it would certainly be worth the Bills taking a look at him, IMO.  Sharper is an OLB talent playing ILB for the Texans, and has been rolling up big tackle numbers since he was acquired in the expansion draft.  He is a better player than Posey at run defense, pass coverage and he can get to the QB.  With a potential dropoff looming at DT, perhaps a better player on the strong side would be helpful.

On the flip-side, oft-injured Seahawks WLB Anthony Simmons was just released.  He was a hot free agent two years ago and considered a possiBillity before they signed Spikes.  Could he switch to the strong side?  At 6'0" he is short, but he is not small, and is one of the fastest LB's in the NFL, and the best defender on the Seahags, when NOT injured.  Missed 9 games with wrist injury in 04'.  When healthy, he is a playmaker.

263918[/snapback]

I don't know hom much Sharper or Simmons would cost the Bills, but I am all in favor of finding a replacement for Posey. He disappears for games at a time. He is not like an OL where if you don't hear their name called much they must be doing a good job. He is playing the position of OLB and should be involved in the play more.

Simmons was having a terrific year on an otherwise woeful Seachicken defense before his injury. I'm wondering if they released him because he's not recovering?

I'd take Sharper over Posey anyday. Simmons is a no brainer if he can pass a physical but I don't think we can afford him.

Simmons was having a terrific year on an otherwise woeful Seachicken defense before his injury.  I'm wondering if they released him because he's not recovering?

I'd take Sharper over Posey anyday.  Simmons is a no brainer if he can pass a physical but I don't think we can afford him.

263977[/snapback]

Simmons has only played 27 of the 48 games last 3 years and didn't get along with his LB coach. He was due a modest roster bonus, something like $500,000. Haven't heard anywhere that they were concerned about the wrist, just concerned about his durability in general. He is known as a hard charging player and tends to get injured. With either Chad Brown or Simmons constantly out of the lineup, they just want a more durable player on the weakside.

Simmons was having a terrific year on an otherwise woeful Seachicken defense before his injury.  I'm wondering if they released him because he's not recovering?

I'd take Sharper over Posey anyday.  Simmons is a no brainer if he can pass a physical but I don't think we can afford him.

263977[/snapback]

darin - when i see something like this, i have to wonder: is something else up? does seattle know something we plebes don't? of course, they probably do. that said, the seahags ponied up a lot of money to their stars and probably had to release some people to make things manageable. however, if the guy was that good, that doesn't make sense unless they know some medical stuff.

darin - when i see something like this, i have to wonder: is something else up? does seattle know something we plebes don't? of course, they probably do.  that said, the seahags ponied up a lot of money to their stars and probably had to release some people to make things manageable. however, if the guy was that good, that doesn't make sense unless they know some medical stuff.

264535[/snapback]

I think BADOL hit the nail on the head by pointing out Simmons injury history and the large percentage of games he's missed. When the dude is healthy, he's a witch.