Answering Points With Points

SinceThe70s

Someone in the Shoutbox today mentioned how the Bills have been answering opposing team points with their own, something I'd been thinking as well so I looked it up. Looking at the scoring summaries the opposing team has scored twice in a row 4 times, and it hasn't happened three times in a row but we answered 18 times.

Jets: we answered 2 of their 3 scores

Panthers: 1 of 3

Broncos: all 4

Falcons: all 3

Bengals 3 of 4

Bucs all 4 EDIT: 4 of 5

Call it what you want, but I call it encouraging.

What's missing is we rarely score first (1 out of 6 games) and rarely score three straight times (once against the Broncos)

Edited by SinceThe70s

This is an interesting topic. I never really thought about it. Do we know how this compares to other teams in the league? Is there a correlation between this and winning? Intuitively I would say that there is because the more times you answer someone the more points that you are scoring. I suppose though it's possible that some teams score consecutively and give up consecutive scores. The "momentum" part of it intrigues me.

This is an interesting topic. I never really thought about it. Do we know how this compares to other teams in the league? Is there a correlation between this and winning? Intuitively I would say that there is because the more times you answer someone the more points that you are scoring. I suppose though it's possible that some teams score consecutively and give up consecutive scores. The "momentum" part of it intrigues me.

I have for the past few seasons.

The Bills offense HAS to be able to score point for point when facing NE, OAK, Brees and the 4-2 Saints and KC

I have for the past few seasons.

The Bills offense HAS to be able to score point for point when facing NE, OAK, Brees and the 4-2 Saints and KC

Yeah, obviously but is it different when a team scores 3 straight and then the other team scores 3 straight vs. them trading back and forth 3 times? That's the question.

Yeah, obviously but is it different when a team scores 3 straight and then the other team scores 3 straight vs. them trading back and forth 3 times? That's the question.

You'd think so, mentally. Guys can get deflated as a deficit increases, but if you're always within striking range you're still engaged. It'd be interesting to see this fleshed out for sure.

You'd think so, mentally. Guys can get deflated as a deficit increases, but if you're always within striking range you're still engaged. It'd be interesting to see this fleshed out for sure.

On the flip side of the coin it sends a message to the other team that we're not going away which could deflate them.

More than anything I think its a positive sign that the team is headed in the right direction and not the same old Bills we've seen during the drought.