Which is most fair and right?

Which is more American?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you honestly feel is more fair, American, and better for our country?

• Everyone should agree with my views and do as I think is appropriate
    • Everyone should make their own choice and do as they think if it is legal

That sounds like George Bernard Shaw.

Pretty sure I read on Facebook that it's from Tiglath-Pileser III

George Bernard Shaw was also a theatre critic, maybe even before he was a playwright. I could be mistaken, because there were a few of these guys who were great playwrights but also acerbic theatre critics themselves, but I think it was Shaw who was watching a particularly dreadful play one time, and he leaned forward, and tapped a woman on the shoulder right in front of him, and said, "Excuse me, madam, but would you be so kind as to put on your hat."

Many different people have been attributed with the long letter quote. Abe Lincoln. Mark Twain. Blaise Pascal. I have no idea who said it first.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Bernard Shaw was also a theatre critic, maybe even before he was a playwright. I could be mistaken, because there were a few of these guys who were great playwrights but also acerbic theatre critics themselves, but I think it was Shaw who was watching a particularly dreadful play one time, and he leaned forward, and tapped a woman on the shoulder right in front of him, and said, "Excuse me, madam, but would you be so kind as to put on your hat."

Many different people have been attributed with the long letter quote. Abe Lincoln. Mark Twain. Blaise Pascal. I have no idea who said it first.

It wasn't Twain, I'm sure. His style was more acerbic and less absurdist than that quote. It wasn't Pascal either, I'd wager.