Mike Williams Contract Question

We have all been saying for a while that MW needs to restructure his contract because his cap number is off-the-wall in comparison to what his actual worth has been? My question to you all that either think he should or shouldn't is... "Why would he?"

Yes, he hasn't lived up to the money he is making. Yes, he is grabbing TD by the balls with that number. But why on earth would a young tackle, who seems to be very fragile emotionally, take a pay cut from 9 million to anything less? To help his team -- maybe, but other than being a funny man off the field does he have any attachment to the area, or the team that would prompt a restructuring of his contract (i.e. Moulds).

Is there a chance the big man gets cut this year? We take the cap hit and move on while TD hopes his other draft picks out perform his biggest mistake in my opinion? Or do we wait and see if it finally clicks for MW and he goes out and earns every penny of that 9 mil by having a pro-bowl type year?

Thoughts...

We have all been saying for a while that MW needs to restructure his contract because his cap number is off-the-wall in comparison to what his actual worth has been?  My question to you all that either think he should or shouldn't is... "Why would he?"

Yes, he hasn't lived up to the money he is making.  Yes, he is grabbing TD by the balls with that number.  But why on earth would a young tackle, who seems to be very fragile emotionally, take a pay cut from 9 million to anything less?  To help his team -- maybe, but other than being a funny man off the field does he have any attachment to the area, or the team that would prompt a restructuring of his contract (i.e. Moulds). 

Is there a chance the big man gets cut this year?  We take the cap hit and move on while TD hopes his other draft picks out perform his biggest mistake in my opinion?  Or do we wait and see if it finally clicks for MW and he goes out and earns every penny of that 9 mil by having a pro-bowl type year?

Thoughts...

262215[/snapback]

His cap hit would kill us...the money we save, if there is any, would be so small there would no point in cutting him. If you thought things were bad now in terms of the salary cap, cutting Williams would make things even worse and leave us 3 open holes on our O-Line.

His cap hit would kill us...the money we save, if there is any, would be so small there would no point in cutting him.  If you thought things were bad now in terms of the salary cap, cutting Williams would make things even worse and leave us 3 open holes on our O-Line.

262217[/snapback]

Oh i hear ya, my original post is not something i think the bills should do. Just options they have presently. I like to think i am pretty savvy about the goings on and the players in the NFL, but it is not my career and at times like this i am glad i am not a GM for a professional team. It is an option that is out there, cut ties, trade the guy, figure something out but he is not living up to expectations, and if he continues not to, he may not have a career in this league after his first contract expires. So why would he care to restructure? Personally, i hope he reduces his salary a bit, plays at a pro-bowl level for the remainder of his contract and then problem solved.

I think he should restructure to show a willingness to win in Buffalo. In my opinion a team player with the desire to win would be willing to negotiate a more cap friendly salary so that the team could afford to bring in the talent required to make a run at the play-offs. He would not make less with a restructured contract he would just spread it out to free up some cap space. I get your point, and can see why he might be unwilling to re-structure but if it were me, I would think I would want to do what it takes to make sure my team had the cash to sign the best players available.

We have all been saying for a while that MW needs to restructure his contract because his cap number is off-the-wall in comparison to what his actual worth has been?  My question to you all that either think he should or shouldn't is... "Why would he?"

Yes, he hasn't lived up to the money he is making.  Yes, he is grabbing TD by the balls with that number.  But why on earth would a young tackle, who seems to be very fragile emotionally, take a pay cut from 9 million to anything less?  To help his team -- maybe, but other than being a funny man off the field does he have any attachment to the area, or the team that would prompt a restructuring of his contract (i.e. Moulds). 

Is there a chance the big man gets cut this year?  We take the cap hit and move on while TD hopes his other draft picks out perform his biggest mistake in my opinion?  Or do we wait and see if it finally clicks for MW and he goes out and earns every penny of that 9 mil by having a pro-bowl type year?

Thoughts...

262215[/snapback]

One, very few guys take pay cuts when they restructure. They usually convert salary into bonus money, ala Eric Moulds, thereby letting the team spread out the money over a longer period of time. Sometimes, as in Chris Samuals with the Skins, the contract is extended and a significant bonus is given, but for purposes of the cap it has the same effect.

So, for Williams to restucture, you would essentially be buying into him for the long term. If you have any questions wheather this is a guy you want on your squad long term, better to eat his deal now and not have to deal with dead cap space down the road. On the other hans, if you believe, as I do, that this guy is just coming into his own, you wopuld want to da Chris Samuals type restucture. IMHO, this is the art of being a GM. Who do you commit to?

Thoughts...

262215[/snapback]

he should take a pay cut for the good of the team, like Drew did.

oh, wait-

Drew got paid MORE money, and cost the Bills $ mil in dead space.

sorry

There is no way that he would extend/restucture his contract and take less money. I can't believe that we are going to pay this guy $9 million dollars when he probably should be paid in the $3 million range.

He would actually benefit in the form of a bonus check being presented to him, which could be spread out. Anyone remember Bledsoe last year ? He lessened his cap hit and walked away with a large bonus check. I'm sure Williams would like that.

He would actually benefit in the form of a bonus check be presented to him, which could be spread out. Anyone remember Bledsoe last year ? He lessened his cap hit and walked away with a large bonus check. I'm sure Williams would like that.

262640[/snapback]

Unless he's angry about the way he's been treated by the Buffalo media and fans and just wants to play out his deal rather than add years here. Can't say I'd blame him given what we see here on a daily basis.

I have not been critical of his play, but I am not sure any player is worth $9 million a year. Even if Mike Williams is considered very solid, I don't think many right tackles are being paid more than $5 million per year.

I am sure that he would take an extension/restructuring that would give him bonus cash now, but I doubt he would do so if his comp is significantly lowered over the life of the contract from what he is currently making.

I have not been critical of his play, but I am not sure any player is worth $9 million a year.  Even if Mike Williams is considered very solid, I don't think many right tackles are being paid more than $5 million per year.

I am sure that he would take an extension/restructuring that would give him bonus cash now, but I doubt he would do so if his comp is significantly lowered over the life of the contract from what he is currently making.

262658[/snapback]

Apparently TD didn't get the memo.

B-)

Guys.....Mike Williams IS going to be here for the long term....

You just dont take and cut a 4th over all player in the draft...you dont....it would KILL your team. It will KILL this team to carry that kind of a cap hit and they are not going to do it......

I really think Mike will get bonus cash and his contract reworked.....it will open up big time money to spend on this team and Mike isn't going anywhere......

Some folks act like the guy was a total bust....once he got his fat ass into shape last year I thought he was dominating people...

He is going to have to at least try to play LT at some point in his career

Some folks act like the guy was a total bust....once he got his fat ass into shape last year I thought he was dominating people...

262676[/snapback]

He certainly was - but facts sometimes have a hard time getting through the gelatinous mass here at TBD.

But can we afford to pay him $9 million a year going forward?

There are many on the board that seem pleased that we are not overpaying for free agents and challenging the worth of players like Williams and Jennings. I don't get that. I think you pay for what you need, even if it may be more than you should be paying. Having said that, I still can't rationalize paying Williams $9 million a year. Do Walter Jones, Ogden or Pace make that much? Is he in their class?

Form previous threads on MW's contract, if we cut him this year he would count 7 mil aginst our cap. Since he currently counts 9.2, that would save us 2.2 mil. The dead money would be off next year which, combined with Bledsoe's dead money, would give us 11.3 mil in cap room from those two alone.

I was in favor of cutting him, if we could have re-signed Jonas and made the Shelton deal, thereby giving us two legit tackles. With Jonas gone to SF and the Shelton deal seemingly shelved, it makes no sense to cut him.

However, if he won't restructure, then hopefully TD makes plans to dump his overpaid bloated a$$ next offseason. That is, unless he develops into a Pro Bowler. Then he must be extended and kept.

Pay for performance, not potential.

That is, unless he develops into a Pro Bowler.  Then he must be extended and kept. 

262759[/snapback]

The Pro Bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest and should never be used as a measure of whether a player is getting it done. Mike Williams played as well as any RT in football the 2nd half of last season and it wasn't a surprise that he got better after finally playing next to a capable guard AND with his first true OLine coaching at the NFL level.

Form previous threads on MW's contract, if we cut him this year he would count 7 mil aginst our cap.  Since he currently counts 9.2, that would save us 2.2 mil.  The dead money would be off next year which, combined with Bledsoe's dead money, would give us 11.3 mil in cap room from those two alone. 

I was in favor of cutting him, if we could have re-signed Jonas and made the Shelton deal, thereby giving us two legit tackles.  With Jonas gone to SF and the Shelton deal seemingly shelved, it makes no sense to cut him. 

However, if he won't restructure, then hopefully TD makes plans to dump his overpaid bloated a$$ next offseason.  That is, unless he develops into a Pro Bowler.  Then he must be extended and kept. 

262759[/snapback]

TD would never cut him. His ego won't let him. We will be suffering

with this guy for several years, unless he just quits or doesn't show up.

The Pro Bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest and should never be used as a measure of whether a player is getting it done. Mike Williams played as well as any RT in football the 2nd half of last season and it wasn't a surprise that he got better after finally playing next to a capable guard AND with his first true OLine coaching at the NFL level.

You are right. I should have said top 3 RT's in football rather than used the Pro Bowl as the standard.

If he continues playing next to Villarial and under McNally, Willis ought to be able to run right for 4 yards anytime he wants next year (except obvious overload situations). If that happens, I would consider him top 3 RT's in football.