My observations from yesterday...

D521646

1. TT is what he is, we all know it, but we're going to have to get used to it AGAIN for at least one more season. We won't see any movement on him until at least the Cinccy game, IMO. If we're 1 - 3 going into that game the season is toast and we need to see what Peterman has.

2. This soft zone was getting beat all day yesterday; yes, they tightened up in the red-zone but CN missed two throws that should've put the game out of reach. The score was NOT indicative of the actual details. The defense played well, no mistaking that, but it was closer than it would have been if we were playing someone NOT coming off shoulder surgery, lacking accuracy past 20 yards, that's a fact.

3. Penalties, wow, only two I think, huge improvement all around.

4. Shady was bottled up, and Dennison needs to be prepared for this next week Vs. the Broncos, and he better have a plan. My plan is to roll out, screens, seam routes to the TE to open up the running lanes. We have to get the numbers in the box to match our running attack. Until that happens, Shady is going anywhere.

5. Matthews has decent hands and seems very into the game. He's a leader on the field and needs to be more involved, period.

6. Right side of the O-Line needs help right now. They'll get better over time, but right now they are in desperate need of scheming the offense away from that side.

7. Clock management? Nuff said, McD will get better.

8. Pass rush and LB play was the strength of the D yesterday, the zone defense was the weakness. Good news is that White and Gains are ballers, along with Poyer! It's a Dfense you can build around, with solid core of guys.

Theory:

TT does NOT see the field well, he just does not, and it isn't going to get better, rolling him out left and right will help with this, 7 step drops will also help, although perhaps not next week against the Broncos. I think TT problem is mostly mental. He (I think) prides himself on taking care of the ball, to a point where he's hard-wired at this point. There is exactly ZERO gunslinger mentality in him. He's too afraid of making a mistake, and I can appreciate that, but, it's not what the Bills need. We have a defense that can bail you out of a turnover here and there. TT needs to put it up, make a play, but more importantly understand that with higher risk comes a much higher reward. The reward here is that he'll most likely NOT throw that many picks, and more completed passes, and even more important, the running game will benefit greatly from this approach.

Go Bills!

Tim-

1. TT is what he is, we all know it, but we're going to have to get used to it AGAIN for at least one more season. We won't see any movement on him until at least the Cinccy game, IMO. If we're 1 - 3 going into that game the season is toast and we need to see what Peterman has.

2. This soft zone was getting beat all day yesterday; yes, they tightened up in the red-zone but CN missed two throws that should've put the game out of reach. The score was NOT indicative of the actual details. The defense played well, no mistaking that, but it was closer than it would have been if we were playing someone NOT coming off shoulder surgery, lacking accuracy past 20 yards, that's a fact.

3. Penalties, wow, only two I think, huge improvement all around.

4. Shady was bottled up, and Dennison needs to be prepared for this next week Vs. the Broncos, and he better have a plan. My plan is to roll out, screens, seam routes to the TE to open up the running lanes. We have to get the numbers in the box to match our running attack. Until that happens, Shady is going anywhere.

5. Matthews has decent hands and seems very into the game. He's a leader on the field and needs to be more involved, period.

6. Right side of the O-Line needs help right now. They'll get better over time, but right now they are in desperate need of scheming the offense away from that side.

7. Clock management? Nuff said, McD will get better.

8. Pass rush and LB play was the strength of the D yesterday, the zone defense was the weakness. Good news is that White and Gains are ballers, along with Poyer! It's a Dfense you can build around, with solid core of guys.

Theory:

TT does NOT see the field well, he just does not, and it isn't going to get better, rolling him out left and right will help with this, 7 step drops will also help, although perhaps not next week against the Broncos. I think TT problem is mostly mental. He (I think) prides himself on taking care of the ball, to a point where he's hard-wired at this point. There is exactly ZERO gunslinger mentality in him. He's too afraid of making a mistake, and I can appreciate that, but, it's not what the Bills need. We have a defense that can bail you out of a turnover here and there. TT needs to put it up, make a play, but more importantly understand that with higher risk comes a much higher reward. The reward here is that he'll most likely NOT throw that many picks, and more completed passes, and even more important, the running game will benefit greatly from this approach.

Go Bills!

Tim-

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that McDermott's philosophy. Doesn't matter much to him what happens between the 20's, just tighten up in the redzone and hold them to field goals?

Totally agree on Tyrod. He just needs to freakin throw it sometimes. Reminds me of Trent in that regard. Throw it away, give a receiver a chance to make a play, whatever. But we can't afford sacks or 2 yard qb scrambles when we are in a 2 min offense.

Also, 3 and outs are essentially turnovers, so in my book he had plenty. Rather have him heave one up with a chance at PI or something. Just 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out. It's brutal.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that McDermott's philosophy. Doesn't matter much to him what happens between the 20's, just tighten up in the redzone and hold them to field goals?

Yes, but the difference is that playing soft-zone on 1st, and 2nd down is typically what happens, and on 3rd down you tighten up, regardless of where you are on the field. I didn't see that yesterday at all except for in the red-zone.

Tim-

Totally agree on Tyrod. He just needs to freakin throw it sometimes. Reminds me of Trent in that regard. Throw it away, give a receiver a chance to make a play, whatever. But we can't afford sacks or 2 yard qb scrambles when we are in a 2 min offense.

Also, 3 and outs are essentially turnovers, so in my book he had plenty. Rather have him heave one up with a chance at PI or something. Just 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out. It's brutal.

Agreed, PI, or a contested catch down the field is as good as a punt IMO. What's to lose? Not enough of that going on at 1BD these days. If I'm going to suffer through yet again another middling season can we at least make it exciting to watch?

Tim-