Salary Cap Update for 2004 & 2005

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=53875

Cap Update for 2004 & 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the 53 man roster is set, I can give y'all a cap update for both 2004 & 2005. Mind you, 2005 is still very preliminary and it must be remembered that the Bills have a number of FAs, unrestricted and restricted, after the season.

I presently have the Bills $5,894,754 under an adjusted cap of $79,759,085 with $5,327,910 dead cap. Bills have 54 players (includes Travis Brown) under contract. What's missing from that number?

1) Any roster or other bonuses that I'm unaware of for players that made 53 man roster. Some may be LTBE

2) ALL bonus information for J.P. Losman. I presently have his cap hit at only his salary of $230,000. However, while it's been reported he rec'd no signing bonus, he's likely to have rec'd a roster bonus of some kind.

3) Workout bonuses: every player receives modest workout bonuses during the offseason. Usually, they must be on the roster at the beginning of the League Year, which was early March. Each player makes a few thousand, but when added up throughout the roster, could be over $100,000. I have NOT included this in my numbers.

4) Practice squads are now up to 8 players. I do not know what the pay rate of these players are at this time. If it's $5,000/wk, then $5,000 x 8 players x 17 weeks = $680,000 that must be accounted for by the end of the season.

Again, these numbers are very preliminary. However, I've been asked by many what the future holds. So........

with 38 players under contract for 2005, I presently have the Bills $14,677,052 under an estimated salary cap of $84,000,000 with $670,443 dead cap. What NOT is that number?

1) Cap adjusment: each of the past 3 seasons that I've known about cap adjustments, the Bills have had a debit which decreases available cap space.

2) Bonus information for J. P. Losman. (I hope to get this info very soon)

3) 13 more players need to be signed to comply with top 51 rule (even at minimum of $235,000, that's $3.055 million off the available cap space

4) Players who have (or may have) salary escalators: Mike Williams, Willis McGahee?, J. P. Losman(unlikely to achieve)

5) Bills have a number of FAs as follows:

UFA:DE Schobel, DT P. Williams, OT Jennings, FS Reese, OT M. Price, DT Edwards, QB Matthews, QB T. Brown, TE Neufeld

RFA:RB Burns, OL Pucillo, CB Thomas

EFA:DB Baker, LS Dorenbas, CB Greer, LB Stamer

Players likely to have contracts re-worked:

WR Eric Moulds: has a cap number of $8.75 million in 2005

OT Mike Williams: salary escalator which could take his salary from $726,875 to as high as $4 million. He also has a $3 million roster bonus due. His cap number is nearly $6 million.

Bills face a tight cap situation next year

I'll have more on the 2005 cap later in the season

Please read the above thread I just posted. I know some of y'all here have asked :(

19570[/snapback]

You know, with the cut of Gildon and a few others vets, as well as the fairly significant amount of cap space that TD had saved in case a Lawyer-esque cut happened on the eve of the season, maybe we WILL be able to renegotiate one of the big three's contracts this season and give an extra 3-4 million now to one of them before they opt to see what's out there in FA next year.

Would someone mind cutting and pasting what was said here.  Please.

19624[/snapback]

I think there are ownership/copywrite issues to consider, but CP indicates he thinks the Bills are roughly $5 Million under the cap this year after PS salaries etc. are taken into account. The big unknown he mentions is any bonuses JP might have received.

Next year we look to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 Mil under if we fill the roster with players making the minimum to cover our FA losses. The biggest diffference I see is $5Mil+ dead cap this year and way under $1 Million dead cap next year. This is certainly progress by our GM! ...of course 2005 speculation is a bit premature at this point.

I think there are ownership/copywrite issues to consider, but CP indicates he thinks the Bills are roughly $5 Million under the cap this year after PS salaries etc. are taken into account.  The big unknown he mentions is any bonuses JP might have received.

Next year we look to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 Mil under if we fill the roster with players making the minimum to cover our FA losses.  The biggest diffference I see is $5Mil+ dead cap this year and way under $1 Million dead cap next year.  This is certainly progress by our GM!  ...of course 2005 speculation is a bit premature at this point.

19634[/snapback]

Thank you CD. Summary is great. I figured we would be under (2004), but am pleasantly surprised to see it's that much. Gives us some room should injuries hit (hope that doesn't jinx us .... hehehe).

You know, with the cut of Gildon and a few others vets, as well as the fairly significant amount of cap space that TD had saved in case a Lawyer-esque cut happened on the eve of the season, maybe we WILL be able to renegotiate one of the big three's contracts this season and give an extra 3-4 million now to one of them before they opt to see what's out there in FA next year.

19586[/snapback]

They will have even more money under the cap when Milloy comes back and they cut Pierson Proileau

I think they should look to extend A Schobal or N Clements if they can't get an extension with them then try P Williams or J Jennings, ifyou can't get an extension with then then try both M Price and K Thomas

hmmm.

With about 15 mil next year(According to Clump) can we sign all 3?

If we have to choose and can only sign 2 at best.

We go for Jennings and, Schobel. Let Anderson develop and let Pat walk.

19630[/snapback]

i agree good point

They will have even more money under the cap when Milloy comes back and they cut Pierson Proileau

I think they should look to extend A Schobal or N Clements if they can't get an extension with them then try P Williams or J Jennings, ifyou can't get an extension with then then try both M Price and K Thomas

19662[/snapback]

My understanding is that after two weeks on the roster all the contracts are guaranteed for the full season. Thus, the thought that some have expressed that there will be big savings when Milloy comes back and Prioleau is cut may not materialize if Milloy is not available until the 3rd week of the season.

Don't count on Prioleau being gone, particularly sense he was one of the players who really excelled on ST last year such as his blocked punt against KC and how he was smart enough to stay in his lane on a Jets return but quick enough to come all the way across the field with a TD saving tackle on Santana Moss.

My understanding is that after two weeks on the roster all the contracts are guaranteed for the full season.  Thus, the thought that some have expressed that there will be big savings when Milloy comes back and Prioleau is cut may not materialize if Milloy is not available until the 3rd week of the season.

Don't count on Prioleau being gone, particularly sense he was one of the players who really excelled on ST last year such as his blocked punt against KC and how he was smart enough to stay in his lane on a Jets return but quick enough to come all the way across the field with a TD saving tackle on Santana Moss.

20349[/snapback]

I believe if a "vested veteran" is on the roster at the beginning of the season, their salary is guaranteed. That's part of the reason we've seen some vets cut. I would be surprised if Ritzmann is released after week 1 and McKenzie is re-signed

Cap Update for 2004 & 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the 53 man roster is set, I can give y'all a cap update for both 2004 & 2005. Mind you, 2005 is still very preliminary and it must be remembered that the Bills have a number of FAs, unrestricted and restricted, after the season.

I presently have the Bills $5,894,754 under an adjusted cap of $79,759,085 with $5,327,910 dead cap. Bills have 54 players (includes Travis Brown) under contract. What's missing from that number?

1) Any roster or other bonuses that I'm unaware of for players that made 53 man roster. Some may be LTBE

2) ALL bonus information for J.P. Losman. I presently have his cap hit at only his salary of $230,000. However, while it's been reported he rec'd no signing bonus, he's likely to have rec'd a roster bonus of some kind.

3) Workout bonuses: every player receives modest workout bonuses during the offseason. Usually, they must be on the roster at the beginning of the League Year, which was early March. Each player makes a few thousand, but when added up throughout the roster, could be over $100,000. I have NOT included this in my numbers.

4) Practice squads are now up to 8 players. I do not know what the pay rate of these players are at this time. If it's $5,000/wk, then $5,000 x 8 players x 17 weeks = $680,000 that must be accounted for by the end of the season.

Again, these numbers are very preliminary. However, I've been asked by many what the future holds. So........

with 38 players under contract for 2005, I presently have the Bills $14,677,052 under an estimated salary cap of $84,000,000 with $670,443 dead cap. What NOT is that number?

1) Cap adjusment: each of the past 3 seasons that I've known about cap adjustments, the Bills have had a debit which decreases available cap space.

2) Bonus information for J. P. Losman. (I hope to get this info very soon)

3) 13 more players need to be signed to comply with top 51 rule (even at minimum of $235,000, that's $3.055 million off the available cap space

4) Players who have (or may have) salary escalators: Mike Williams, Willis McGahee?, J. P. Losman(unlikely to achieve)

5) Bills have a number of FAs as follows:

UFA:DE Schobel, DT P. Williams, OT Jennings, FS Reese, OT M. Price, DT Edwards, QB Matthews, QB T. Brown, TE Neufeld

RFA:RB Burns, OL Pucillo, CB Thomas

EFA:DB Baker, LS Dorenbas, CB Greer, LB Stamer

Players likely to have contracts re-worked:

WR Eric Moulds: has a cap number of $8.75 million in 2005

OT Mike Williams: salary escalator which could take his salary from $726,875 to as high as $4 million. He also has a $3 million roster bonus due. His cap number is nearly $6 million.

Bills face a tight cap situation next year 

I'll have more on the 2005 cap later in the season

19570[/snapback]

>>>OT Mike Williams: salary escalator which could take his salary from $726,875 to as high as $4 million. He also has a $3 million roster bonus due. His cap number is nearly $6 million<<<

Do you know exactly how much it would cost to cut him both before and after 6/1 if he does not play up to this salary level?

I sure hope that it doesn't come to this.

>>>OT Mike Williams: salary escalator which could take his salary from $726,875 to as high as $4 million. He also has a $3 million roster bonus due. His cap number is nearly $6 million<<<

Do you know exactly how much it would cost to cut him both before and after 6/1 if he does not play up to this salary level?

I sure hope that it doesn't come to this.

20422[/snapback]

I was wondering the same thing. As of right now, he's not worth that much jack.

Definitely a crossroads year for MW...

if JJ has a big year (including staying healthy) and MW still sucks,

I say give the $$$ to JJ.

Now clumping this statement can't be "Bills face a tight cap situation next year"  Now I was told when I said this earlier this year that I was full of stevestojan and didn't know what I was talking about.

20460[/snapback]

By who? Not by me. I don't believe you are or were full of stevestojan :)

$14+ million under. Subtract $3.1 million to get to top 51 that leaves about $11 million. Subtract a likely cap adjustment. If Mike Williams plays most of the season, subtract the amount of the salary increase. Without releasing players or restructurings, that would leave about $8 million. Subtract the tenders for RFAs, that's another $1 million (adjust top 51). Also, $84 million is an estimate. If higher, that helps obviously

Now Bills can find plenty of cap space by re-working Moulds, "simple restructures", cutting a few players, etc. Many variables :flirt:

I'm hoping that TD can get one of the prime UFAs done soon along with using the "Eagles loophole" on a player like Reese that basically transfers cap space to the next cap year (Vikes got over $10 million extra in 2004 by using this).