Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it make more sense to judge what a 6-year vet can do in the NFL based on what he's done over the course of 2 regular seasons as a starter, or based on what he's done in 2 quarters of a preseason?

IF We have to compare the two we should do so with the same system.

Logic would dictate it.

Tell you what: name 5 things that Peterman has proven he can do better than Tyrod at the NFL level.

1. read defenses
  2. throws with anticipation
  3. throws into coverage
  4. hits his target in stride
  5. steps up into the pocket

I meant to be sarcastic, but damn that was easy

Watching the all 22 shows Tyrod isn't ready to start Sept.10

OUCH

Once again, its Preseason! :doh:

CORRECT.

Yet we see people complaining about 50% from a ROOKIE and not see them mentioning TT's 53%.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1. read defenses
  3. throws into coverage

Let's set aside for a moment the fact that every one of those is an eye-test metric, and that none of them can be quantified or supported by fact.

That said, let me get this straight: Peterman has somehow proven to you, in his 3 quarters of preseason action against 2's and 3's running base defensive schemes, that he does all of those things better than Tyrod? Furthermore, it is your opinion that the eye-test performed on those traits (by you) should supersede what Tyrod has done over 2 years as a starter?

You cannot seriously think that that's a logical position to take.

Look, I'm not exactly the type to stump for Tyrod, but good grief. You want to replace a guy that's got a 15-14 record as a starter (despite playing on a team with a hugely-underachieving defensive unit) and has proven that he can lead a top-10 scoring offense while minimizing turnovers with a 5th-round rookie that is currently completing 50% of his passes against backups?

Surely you must recognize that your position makes no sense, right?

IF We have to compare the two we should do so with the same system.

Logic would dictate it.

Then wouldn't you want to go back to what Tyrod did in the preseason when running Dennison's scheme in Baltimore and add that in for context?

Let's set aside for a moment the fact that every one of those is an eye-test metric, and that none of them can be quantified or supported by fact.

That said, let me get this straight: Peterman has somehow proven to you, in his 3 quarters of preseason action against 2's and 3's running base defensive schemes, that he does all of those things better than Tyrod? Furthermore, it is your opinion that the eye-test performed on those traits (by you) should supersede what Tyrod has done over 2 years as a starter?

Look, I'm not exactly the type to stump for Tyrod, but good grief. You want to replace a guy that's got a 15-14 record as a starter (despite playing on a team with a hugely-underachieving defensive unit) and has proven that he can lead a top-10 scoring offense while minimizing turnovers with a 5th-round rookie that is currently completing 50% of his passes against backups?

It's hard to defeat shiny new toy (QB) syndrome with hard evidence when fans are desperate for an end to the signal caller purgatory we've been in since the retirement of Jim Kelly.

The Bills have two QB's now that despite being drafted in the later rounds could possibly go on to become legit starters in the NFL in my humble opinion. The difference between them is one QB has had enough play time to gauge an approximate ceiling while the other signal caller we have barely scratched the surface on.

Then wouldn't you want to go back to what Tyrod did in the preseason when running Dennison's scheme in Baltimore and add that in for context?

He's proven, although good, he's not good enough to win when it matters. Coming close in his "two" best games of the season out of 16 meh to suck games.

So yes. IF TT remains the same then I want to see a change and fast.

Lets end the misery sooner than later.

Of the list I provided - which ones do you disagree with that TT needs to improve on?

Don't confuse my recognition of some of Nates talents as a guarantee for anything else.

It's hard to defeat shiny new toy (QB) syndrome with hard evidence when fans are desperate for an end to the signal caller purgatory we've been in since the retirement of Jim Kelly.

until proven otherwise signal caller purgatory remains in place with TT.

1. read defenses
  3. throws into coverage

OUCH

CORRECT.

Yet we see people complaining about 50% from a ROOKIE and not see them mentioning TT's 53%.

Pre season is meaningless. This is ridiculous. Play with the first unit in a meaningful game is the only way to judge. Of course if he didn't play as well, you'd blame the lack of WRs probably, which could be true. Too bad you don't allow TT the same "excuse".

http://wham1180.iheart.com/featured/bob-matthews-column/content/2017-08-21-matthews-thoughts-on-anquan-boldin-and-tyrod/

A popular topic among Bills fans is the status of Tyrod Taylor as starting quarterback. Rookie Nathan Peterman against opposing second-line defenders has looked better than Taylor through the first two meaningless preseason games. A few wishful-thinking Buffalo fans are wondering if Peterman might be the 2017 version of last season’s Dak Prescott with the Dallas Cowpokes. Dream on.

Tyler isn’t likely to guide this season’s Bills to the NFL’s promised land -- In Western New York, that means the playoffs. He’s not Superman. In opinion, he’s just a fairly average NFL QB on a slightly below-average NFL team.

Read more: http://wham1180.iheart.com/featured/bob-matthews-column/content/2017-08-21-matthews-thoughts-on-anquan-boldin-and-tyrod/#ixzz4qhCS8MQN

He's proven, although good, he's not good enough to win when it matters. Coming close in his "two" best games of the season out of 16 meh to suck games.

So yes. IF TT remains the same then I want to see a change and fast.

Lets end the misery sooner than later.

Of the list I provided - which ones do you disagree with that TT needs to improve on?

Don't confuse my recognition of some of Nates talents as a guarantee for anything else.

until proven otherwise signal caller purgatory remains in place with TT.

You're conflating two points. No, Tyrod isn't good enough. No, Peterman has certainly not shown that he is better than Tyrod at any of those traits--perhaps further along as a rookie than Tyrod was though.

You're conflating two points. No, Tyrod isn't good enough. No, Peterman has certainly not shown that he is better than Tyrod at any of those traits--perhaps further along as a rookie than Tyrod was though.

Why so serious?

Is in and of itself sarcasm.

I think it is a logical position to take with the points he made.

The reason is because Tyrod has never been able to do some of his points. That's not the type of QB he is. In 3 quarters in preseason last year, I think it's safe to say Jacoby Brissett can scramble better than Brady....doesn't mean he's a better QB obviously. Jacoby Brissett doesn't have to prove it over a long period of time that he's more mobile than Brady....

Just because Peterman can work better inside the pocket and throws with anticipation much better doesn't mean he's a better QB now. He just does some things better than Taylor.

The one positive with Peterman over Tyrod is the unknown. Let's be honest, Tyrod isn't going to become Tom Brady. Peterman is the only QB on the roster who still has a shot to become an elite QB and that's why people want him to start. If you want an elite QB and nothing else you want us to move on from Tyrod right away. I don't agree with that stance but the logic makes sense. If we're hovering below .500 after Week 9 I would support changing to Peterman to see if he has a decent chance of becoming our franchise.

The reason is because Tyrod has never been able to do some of his points. That's not the type of QB he is. In 3 quarters in preseason last year, I think it's safe to say Jacoby Brissett can scramble better than Brady....doesn't mean he's a better QB obviously. Jacoby Brissett doesn't have to prove it over a long period of time that he's more mobile than Brady....

Just because Peterman can work better inside the pocket and throws with anticipation much better doesn't mean he's a better QB now. He just does some things better than Taylor.

Thank you fellow Mr Spock .....

The one positive with Peterman over Tyrod is the unknown. Let's be honest, Tyrod isn't going to become Tom Brady. Peterman is the only QB on the roster who still has a shot to become an elite QB and that's why people want him to start. If you want an elite QB and nothing else you want us to move on from Tyrod right away. I don't agree with that stance but the logic makes sense. If we're hovering below .500 after Week 9 I would support changing to Peterman to see if he has a decent chance of becoming our franchise.

What about Peterman says he has a realistic chance to be among the NFL's elite QBs?

That's not accurate...if you go back and look at Tyrod's performance in the preseason as a Raven, he was able to do plenty of those things.

I feel that you folks are falling into the trap of comparing Tyrod vs 1's in the regular season to Peterman vs. 2's and 3's in the preseason, which is apples-to-oranges at best.

For example:

Plenty of accurate throws, quick releases, throws to covered targets, and stepping into the pocket there.

And that's the point: what Peterman is showing against 2's and 3's in the preseason is in no way uncommon for a late-round pick, and portends nothing more than that he's got the potential to be a roster-worthy NFL QB.

Thank you fellow Mr Spock .....

Again, if you're looking at Peterman based on preseason vs 2's and 3's, then you need to look at Tyrod in Dennison's offense in the same situation.

Now that, my friend, would be logical.

Come on 26CB, read what is written and think again what he said.

a possibility exists. We don't know.

Yates - never

Taylor - very low probability

And I'll add that "we don't know" isn't automatically better today than "we don't think so"

That's not accurate...if you go back and look at Tyrod's performance in the preseason as a Raven, he was able to do plenty of those things.

I feel that you folks are falling into the trap of comparing Tyrod vs 1's in the regular season to Peterman vs. 2's and 3's in the preseason, which is apples-to-oranges at best.

Plenty of accurate throws, quick releases, throws to covered targets, and stepping into the pocket there.

And that's the point: what Peterman is showing against 2's and 3's in the preseason is in no way uncommon for a late-round pick, and portends nothing more than that he's got the potential to be a roster-worthy NFL QB.

Then what happened?

Again, if you're looking at Peterman based on preseason vs 2's and 3's, then you need to look at Tyrod in Dennison's offense in the same situation.

Now that, my friend, would be logical.

And I'll add that "we don't know" isn't automatically better today than "we don't think so"

Why is it you didn'tt answer the question.

Which of those items does TT not need to improve on?

Edited by ShadyBillsFan