Weird rule question

When passing into the end zone from the 2 yard line, it's likely that PI occurred in the end zone. So yes, the ball is placed at the 1. It's a coincidence that that's also half the distance, but you're right - PI isn't a "half the distance" penalty.

I'm guessing the penalty only moved the ball one yard, so the extra point would be snapped from the 14-yard line. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was at the 15 yard line, or the 7.5 yard line instead.

That gets subjective though. That's my point. It's a throw, in the pocket, not near an eligible receiver and not past the LOs. By definition that is grounding.

By definition, it is a different category of pass. I believe the rule book defines that specific play.

It's kinda like asking why a FT in basketball is only worth 1 point, when a shot from the same spot in the run of play results in 2.

Additionally, grounding is an infraction motivated by a desire to avoid getting sacked. Spiking isn't. It is an immediate act by which the quarterback forfeits a down in order to preserve time, not yardage.

That gets subjective though. That's my point. It's a throw, in the pocket, not near an eligible receiver and not past the LOs. By definition that is grounding.

No, by definition that is not intentional grounding as long as the passer is not attempting to avoid a sack. Yes, technically it is subjective. In this case the official has to make the delicate decision of whether the passer was grounding the ball to avoid a loss of yardage or spiking the ball to stop the clock. They don't usually get it wrong.

It's in the rule book. Spiking the ball (as long as it's done immediately after the snap) to stop the clock is not intentional grounding just because there was no receiver in the area.

ARTICLE 1. DEFINITION. It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.
Furthermore-
Item 3. Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.
According to the 2017 Official Playing Rules Of The National Football League, this is the answer to why spiking the ball is not intentional grounding.
Edited by Tuco