Could this be what TD's strategy is?

Is it possible TD is holding out to sign GB's Rivera? If so, i would like the move. He is old, yes, but i think we are poised to contend this year and next with this team (assuming JP is the real deal). Then we will have a ton of FA's in 2006 so our 2006 roster make look completely different. Anyway, we sign Rivera to a two year contract at a reasonable number. We draft a Guard that will be given the starting spot after being on the roster for two years. I think this move, or other moves similar (get a temporary fix, draft the replacement) is what TD may be looking at doing this year in the Free Agent Market.

Thoughts?

It could be that its not TD's strategy, but McNally's.... that is, when McNally was a Giant he consistently went with unheralded players and undrafted free agents. Maybe he wants to do it again....

JDG

It could be that its not TD's strategy, but McNally's....    that is, when McNally was a Giant he consistently went with unheralded players and undrafted free agents.  Maybe he wants to do it again....

JDG

260081[/snapback]

And the Giants OL was absolutely awful his last year there. He's a good OL coach, but he can't perform miracles. He needs some talent to work with.

It could be that its not TD's strategy, but McNally's....    that is, when McNally was a Giant he consistently went with unheralded players and undrafted free agents.  Maybe he wants to do it again....

JDG

260081[/snapback]

yeah - right

McNally worked with what the front office game him, which wasn't much.

I highly doubt he purposely had a hand in bringing in inferior players just so he could work miracles with them.

JDG

260081[/snapback]

I am not privy to what happened with the Giants, but always assumed it was the NYG front office that just ignored the OL when it came time to draft. Could it be that McNally was telling them that he could get by with what they have? I don't know.

I am not privy to what happened with the Giants, but always assumed it was the NYG front office that just ignored the OL when it came time to draft.  Could it be that McNally was telling them that he could get by with what they have?  I don't know.

260146[/snapback]

I suspect that that is what McNally was doing.... he told them that he could "coach up" just about anybody to be decent.

Not a bad strategy actually..... if the UDFA's and whatnot perform competently, he's a miracle-worker. If not, then he can't be blamed - he didn't have the talent.

JDG

I think TD has to use some of the cap space this year to lock up bills that will be free agents next year like Clements and Fletcher. If you look at the list of bills free agents next year it is much worse than just JJ and PW.

Another variable we dont know and hopefully TD & co do is how many teams need a guard and what is the value of a guard relative to their other needs. This gives us an idea of when to strike. It is all about the cap. The entire NFL is all about the cap. It doesnt take a genius to rate talent about players with 3 year track record in the NFL. Gee do you think Randy Moss is any good? Was Takeo worth it? Or that Mahle, assuming no injury, can play guard? (even Terrel Buckley is a known commodity to all ) Did all teams have even any interest in any of these three examples? No. Teams have different needs in a sport that limits choices via cap.

I suspect that that is what McNally was doing.... he told them that he could "coach up" just about anybody to be decent.

260358[/snapback]

The Patriots have been doing that for 4 years now. We just need all the other coaches to step up.

So i take it you're on the "TD is a cheapskate" wagon?

I'll call TD many things, but cheapskate isn't one of them.

260532[/snapback]

Nope, I am patient. But it sure looks like Dallas is trying to make a run at it over the next 2 years.

I think TD has to use some of the cap space this year to lock up bills that will be free agents next year like Clements and Fletcher.  If you look at the list of bills free agents next year it is much worse than just JJ and PW.

260458[/snapback]

FLETCH IS SIGNED THROUGH '06.........who starts these rumours??