The Kodi Thread

/dev/null

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Did you have to enter your credit card info, even though they said they would not charge you?

No. They are always 100% free on reddit. You don’t have to enter any info at all. Just find the link to the game you want to watch and click on it. 

Thr only thing you may have to do is close a tricky pop-up ad or two (they tend to have more than 1 ‘X’ to close them) before you are able to start watching. 

On 1/7/2019 at 9:07 PM, /dev/null said:

Same way you installed Kodi.  Use the Downloader app to install the APK for Titanium TV

Could be a number of things

Your ISP is unlikely to block you specifically from using it.  They may however be blocking some of the content providers, especially any outside the US

Most likely your add-ons are out of date.  Your repositories are probably out of date as well.  

The version of Kodi that you are running probably won't affect playback, but will definitely affect scripting.  The scripting is what the add-ons use to find streams.  So while you don't necessarily have to update Kodi to Krypton to play the video back, you probably should update it to keep your add-ons up to date.

Oh, and there was a massive security bug a year or so ago.  So it might be time to update

Thank you. 

Question - I’ve read some places that say you should do a totally clean install when switching to a totally new version (like from Jarvis to Krypton/Leia). Do I need to do that? And how do I do that?  I should probably update to Leia right? 

I bought mine this way so I’m not exactly familiar with how to do this stuff. 

Can I do it right on the fire stick? I have never had it hooked up to a computer and don’t even know how. 

Also, will updating Kodi automatically update my add-ones etc? Or do I have to update them 1 by 1? And if so, how do I do that? 

I’m just scared to screw it up (not that it matters I guess, since it isn’t working anyway). 

Sorry for all the questions. Don’t worry about it if you don’t have the time to answer. 

Looks like streaming services are going to start cracking down on password sharing

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/19/01/10/225242/netflix-password-sharing-may-soon-be-impossible-due-to-new-ai-tracking

On 1/9/2019 at 11:02 AM, BillsFan4 said:

Thank you. 

Question - I’ve read some places that say you should do a totally clean install when switching to a totally new version (like from Jarvis to Krypton/Leia). Do I need to do that? And how do I do that?  I should probably update to Leia right? 

I bought mine this way so I’m not exactly familiar with how to do this stuff. 

Can I do it right on the fire stick? I have never had it hooked up to a computer and don’t even know how. 

Also, will updating Kodi automatically update my add-ones etc? Or do I have to update them 1 by 1? And if so, how do I do that? 

I’m just scared to screw it up (not that it matters I guess, since it isn’t working anyway). 

Sorry for all the questions. Don’t worry about it if you don’t have the time to answer. 

You don't have to do a clean install, but if you have problems doing a full uninstall/re-install is a troubleshooting step

To give you an idea on the state of Kodi, Kodi versions major releases are based on the year.  The current stable version is still Krypton (17.6).  Leia (version 18) never made it to a production release

You can do the installation directly from the firestick:.  https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Fire_TV

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Looks like streaming services are going to start cracking down on password sharing

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/19/01/10/225242/netflix-password-sharing-may-soon-be-impossible-due-to-new-ai-tracking

This is interesting.   We use my daughter's account on Netflix.  She pays an up charge to have more than two? users on at the same time.  So IP tracking can be her, ours or any remote place either of us are at.   I have even taking my firebox overseas to use.  

Since Netflix is a losing proposition, I am surprised they have not put more effort into this.

3 hours ago, Greybeard said:

This is interesting.   We use my daughter's account on Netflix.  She pays an up charge to have more than two? users on at the same time.  So IP tracking can be her, ours or any remote place either of us are at.   I have even taking my firebox overseas to use.  

Since Netflix is a losing proposition, I am surprised they have not put more effort into this.

There costs are pretty fixed so more customers the better, Essentially