Two more DT's off the market

VABills

I'm confident in Edwards... I liked what I saw from him last year. Each year he has gained bulk to make him harder to block. His assets will go well with Sam Adams. Both are very capable of rushing the passer.

If I may throw some props at Dave McBride who threw out the idea that Pat & Sam dominating the number of snaps may have hurt the Bills' defense.

With Pat gone, you will likely see more of the committee DTs, and the improved speed may actually help in the pass rush department andf the line will definitely be fresher late in games.

The only downside I envision is making Bills more vulnerable for runs up the middle, as none of the subs are as good as Pat in occupying space & blockers, which would leave the undersized Fletcher in a bigger bind.

If I may throw some props at Dave McBride who threw out the idea that Pat & Sam dominating the number of snaps may have hurt the Bills' defense. 

With Pat gone, you will likely see more of the committee DTs, and the improved speed may actually help in the pass rush department andf the line will definitely be fresher late in games. 

The only downside I envision is making Bills more vulnerable for runs up the middle, as none of the subs are as good as Pat in occupying space & blockers, which would leave the undersized Fletcher in a bigger bind.

259835[/snapback]

why thanks, gerry! it does seem that they're high on anderson, and he'll be a guy to watch come the preseason. i'm really curious. the one thing i've wondered about that pick is the fact that immediately before the bills selected him, randy starks went. starks was projected higher than the third in every draft prognostication i read, and he had a very solid rookie season.

my memories of ron edwards aren't particularly good -- in 02 (his second year) he was a real weak link. maybe he's improved (i honestly didn't pay much attention to his game this year), but he's never really impressed in the past. can anyone shed light on either of these guys?

my memories of ron edwards aren't particularly good -- in 02 (his second year) he was a real weak link.  maybe he's improved (i honestly didn't pay much attention to his game this year), but he's never really impressed in the past. can anyone shed light on either of these guys?

260716[/snapback]

I may be off on this, but I recall that when Sam Adams threw a sh-- fit at Jerry Gray, Edwards stepped in for him and played very, very well. Big Sam shaped up pretty quick after that. :(

why thanks, gerry! it does seem that they're high on anderson, and he'll be a guy to watch come the preseason. i'm really curious.  the one thing i've wondered about that pick is the fact that immediately before the bills selected him, randy starks went. starks was projected higher than the third in every draft prognostication i read, and he had a very solid rookie season.

my memories of ron edwards aren't particularly good -- in 02 (his second year) he was a real weak link.  maybe he's improved (i honestly didn't pay much attention to his game this year), but he's never really impressed in the past. can anyone shed light on either of these guys?

260716[/snapback]

Edwards in my opinion, is a smaller version of Sam Adams. Quick, seems to like to shoot gaps and disrupt the backfield. His problem is he can get off balance and pushed around on running plays. Add to that he likes to shoot the gaps, he easily gets beat in trap and cut back runs. Since this is also Sams weakness we easily could just get run over this year on the ground. Neither will keep players off from Fletcher so Fletcher who is not known to fight defender off very well will struggle as a result

I do not know much about Anderson.

I may be off on this, but I recall that when Sam Adams threw a sh-- fit at Jerry Gray, Edwards stepped in for him and played very, very well.  Big Sam shaped up pretty quick after that.  :(

260729[/snapback]

That was the Miami game where phinsheads ran all over us in the first half, and Edwards had a monster 2nd half.

Edwards has improved dramatically since '02, and gives Bills the pass rush up the middle that's been misisng since PW's younger days.

260716[/snapback]

I thought that Ron Edwards was VERY impressive last year. I think he can immediately step up and be the starter. PW only had 2 1/2 sacks, starting all 16 games. Edwards had 4 sacks as a reserve. I was impressed with him, and is the reason why I'm not panicking that the Vikings got PW.

That was the Miami game where phinsheads ran all over us in the first half, and Edwards had a monster 2nd half.

Edwards has improved dramatically since '02, and gives Bills the pass rush up the middle that's been misisng since PW's younger days.

260765[/snapback]

aha. i missed that miami game.