Neoliberalism, New Democrats, Third Way

I'm curious about the defense of any position which denies poor families the ability to seek the best possible education for their children, and instead asserts that the state owns them for the good of the state.

In what way does the state acknowledge this?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interested in hearing how the public education system denies poor families the ability to seek the best possible education for their children and subjects them to state ownership.

You're kidding, right?

What choice does a parent of a kid in an underperforming public school district have?

I would be interested in hearing how the public education system denies poor families the ability to seek the best possible education for their children and subjects them to state ownership.

You've never heard the argument against charter schools, empowering parents to make the key decisions surrounding their children's education, and tax dollars following the student?

I find that hard to believe.

I find it more likely that you simply dislike the sunlight disinfecting the big government view on education.

You're kidding, right?

What choice does a parent of a kid in an underperforming public school district have?

Those parents have no choice whatsoever, their kids are being babysat until they are 17 years old.

That's the best thing that can happen to these kids.

Kids at private and church schools are being taught how to read and think and study.

Edited by row_33

You're kidding, right?

I think the conservative position would be to move into a better district.

You've never heard the argument against charter schools, empowering parents to make the key decisions surrounding their children's education, and tax dollars following the student?

I find that hard to believe.

I find it more likely that you simply dislike the sunlight disinfecting the big government view on education.

I have to know how you're defining charter school first.

Most people honestly do not care that their children are learning nothing in school.

They have a bigger fear of roughly 13 horrible things that can routinely happen that will basically ruin their child's life.

So where did the Clintons and Trumps and Obamas send their children?

I think the conservative position would be to move into a better district.

I think I see the problem. You've confused conservatism with bumper sticker slogans.

I have to know how you're defining charter school first.

A school which receives tax-payer funding and is independent from the public school system.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I think I see the problem. You've confused conservatism with bumper sticker slogans.

Am I wrong? Your contention seems to be with DOE administration efficacy, and I can certainly sympathize. I'm less convinced that privatizing that process will enure to the benefit of the majority of students in the country. My goal would be a more equitable funding mechanism independent from local property values to start.

Am I wrong? Your contention seems to be with DOE administration efficacy, and I can certainly sympathize. I'm less convinced that privatizing that process will enure to the benefit of the majority of students in the country. My goal would be a more equitable funding mechanism independent from local property values to start.

How many times does it need to be repeated that the biggest failures in public education have nothing to do with budgets?

How many times does it need to be repeated that the biggest failures in public education have nothing to do with budgets?

EVERYTHING has to do with budgets. I'm a product of the public school system and I've seen it firsthand.

It starts with teachers, which is to say it starts with salary, which is a budget line item. Better pay for better teachers, better results.

EVERYTHING has to do with budgets. I'm a product of the public school system and I've seen it firsthand.

It starts with teachers, which is to say it starts with salary, which is a budget line item. Better pay for better teachers, better results.

Baloney. It was always and always will start and end with dedicated parents.

Horseshit! Google what a D.C. high school teacher makes and then Google District education rankings.

Horseshit! Google what a D.C. high school teacher makes and then Google District education rankings.

Explain how you think making <$50K living in DC working to educate our youth is a reasonable premise for declaring teacher pay isn't an issue. I'll wait.

Edited by GoBills808

My contention is with government using it's monopoly on force to create a monopoly on education, which is then inescapable, especially for those without means, while well-intentioned &#33;@#&#036;s dictate policy from their ivory towers while generation after generation of lives are squandered.

Meanwhile your goal of "more equitable funding" works to deny those whom have already broken away from a legacy poverty the ability to educate their own children in the way they feel will best serve continuing familial success.

Explain how you think making <$50K living in DC working to educate our youth is a reasonable premise for declaring teacher pay isn't an issue. I'll wait.

Then by your standards, teachers in suburban DC are compensated at twice the level that DC teachers are since the results are double that of DC schools.

We'll wait.

So wrong, not funny.

My contention is with government using it's monopoly on force to create a monopoly on education, which is then inescapable, especially for those without means, while well-intentioned !@#$s dictate policy from their ivory towers while generation after generation of lives are squandered.

Meanwhile your goal of "more equitable funding" works to deny those whom have already broken away from a legacy poverty the ability to educate their own children in the way they feel will best serve continuing familial success.

How so?

Then by your standards, teachers in suburban DC are compensated at twice the level that DC teachers are since the results are double that of DC schools.

We'll wait.

Definitely not following. I'm saying pay educators more, period. Hadn't even begun discussing performance yet.