I'm anxious to see this d-line get going.

Where I disagree with folks here is I don't see how simply installing a new scheme, new coaching, and a new secondary automatically creates a top 10 or top 12 D, the media, right or wrong see's it the complete opposite

Now I'm not saying folks here are necessarily wrong but just pointing out in the last month Buffalo media, PFF, lots of other sources, have written pieces about issues for the Bills secondary in 2017, for example PFF gave us a rating in the high 20's

That does not suggest we will see anything close to a top 10 overall D, and those concerns seem to be ignored in message board forums

Yes, I'm glad Ryan is gone, and I think our D future beyond 2017 is bright, but until we get more experienced premium talent on the back end, or they gel, or scheme and match override what is talent on paper, and what is a lack of NFL starting experience, this could more a transitional year in our secondary, they may limit the unit's overall rating and success, and our ability to win games, after-all you play in nickel or dime, like 65% of the time

jc

We had 3 200 yard rushers. We were a confused unit, that couldn't tackle, or rush the passer consistently. Tackling, and rushing the passer would make the secondary look better. But if they are bad, it will still be a rough year.

Hopefully a scheme change and better coaching/play design will result in more stops on running plays, more 3rd and longs, and more 3 and outs.

Edited by dneveu

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This DL is not as good as the one 3 years ago with M Williams. Shaq has a long way to go to be Mario from 3 years ago. Also, the DL won't get the same freedom to penetrate that Schwartz gave them. I expect them to be solid but not dominant. They really need this to be a season where Lawson and Washington take big steps forward otherwise this could easily turn into a weakness by next season after K Williams retires.

This DL is not as good as the one 3 years ago with M Williams. Shaq has a long way to go to be Mario from 3 years ago. Also, the DL won't get the same freedom to penetrate that Schwartz gave them. I expect them to be solid but not dominant. They really need this to be a season where Lawson and Washington take big steps forward otherwise this could easily turn into a weakness by next season after K Williams retires.

Your take goes against the mainstream view, but I agree. Schwartz' wide 9 was the key to constant pressure and Mario was dominant. Shaq in the Pro Bowl? I highly doubt it. Still, any resemblance of a consistent defensive effort week in and week out will be a huge upgrade from the depths of the Ryan's D.

I disagree, some facts

Under Ryan last year we were 17th in QB hurries

So statistically speaking our pass rush wasn't bad

Neither was our pass D DVOA which was rated about 21st

The specific problem was our pourous run D which was 3rd worst in the NFL

I'm just not so certain changing the scheme and having a new HC and or DC automatically solves the run D issue

Unless Ragland and Hodges change everything, here's hoping they do

Will we improve the pass rush this year? Maybe, again 17th was pretty decent

And most pundits, including PFF rate our secondary to be in the bottom of the league, they expect it to be worse than 2016, not better

Again they could be wrong, perhaps scheme and coaching compensate, but nothing logically points to being anywhere near a top 10 unit

jc

I disagree, some facts

Under Ryan last year we were 17th in QB hurries

So statistically speaking our pass rush wasn't bad

Neither was our pass D DVOA which was rated about 21st

The specific problem was our pourous run D which was 3rd worst in the NFL

I'm just not so certain changing the scheme and having a new HC and or DC automatically solves the run D issue

Unless Ragland and Hodges change everything, here's hoping they do

Will we improve the pass rush this year? Maybe, again 17th was pretty decent

And most pundits, including PFF rate our secondary to be in the bottom of the league, they expect it to be worse than 2016, not better

Again they could be wrong, perhaps scheme and coaching compensate, but nothing logically points to being anywhere near a top 10 unit

jc

couple of points. 17th in hurries is getting on the wrong side of average. i wouldnt call that "pretty decent". and 21st in pass D dvoa isnt bad? thats almost bottom ten in the league.

i totally agree the porous run d was probably the bigger issue but the defense in general was a letdown and can anyone remember a meaningful sack? like one that changed a game or happened when we really needed one? i cant. i remember thinking all last year, while our sack numbers were solid, were any actually happening at big time moments?

and i've said it once in here but i'll say it again. i think the wildcard here in all of this that hasnt been mentioned is the new DL coach mike waufle. the guy coached up what was arguably one of the best DL units in the nfl over the last couple years for the rams. they were a bad team and so that unit didnt get nearly the credit it has deserved over the last few years. his former players had nothing but good things to say about him. and if you havnt seen him already, do yourself a favor go ahead and youtube some clips of him from "hard knocks". a complete FIRE STARTER. i'm so excited to see how aggressive the line is this year. if the guy can get through to dareus.... LOOK OUT!

Edited by Stank_Nasty