Jay Rosen 1, British Airways 0

Unbelievable! Computers "go down." OK, you have a fall back plan. Compute the fuel loads the old way. File the flight plans by phone. It wouldn't be pretty but they would never have to shut the whole airline down.

Nope, they are relying totally on the computer system. Like your senior citizen relative relying on GPS 100% to get to NYC from Buffalo. Not a clue how to get there if their GPS breaks down, taking the main routes as they have 20 times already.

Edited by row_33

Nope, they are relying totally on the computer system. Like your senior citizen relative relying on GPS 100% to get to NYC from Buffalo. Not a clue how to get there if their GPS breaks down, taking the main routes as they have 20 times already.

That's because nobody is "trained/certified" to do it anymore.

Every pilot has to demonstrate weight & balance and flight planning skill to get his/her license. When there is an "outage," they could start with a historical flight plan, between 2 cities, and adjust for current winds and payload. It's a starting point, and, given adequate training could be done.

That's because nobody is "trained/certified" to do it anymore.

Every pilot has to demonstrate weight & balance and flight planning skill to get his/her license. When there is an "outage," they could start with a historical flight plan, between 2 cities, and adjust for current winds and payload. It's a starting point, and, given adequate training could be done.

They don't even do basic math and wind current statics problems any more?

They don't even do basic math and wind current statics problems any more?

If they do, they don't trust their people to get it right. It's all button pushing now.

I retired from United in 2003, (1968-2003) but later, I did work as Airport Operations Supervisor, 2004-2016, at an east coast airport. Having had the opportunity to see how 8-10 other airlines operate, it's all contract people. $10 an hour, no benefits, inadequate training to people who have no incentive to do their jobs well. McD pays better..

If they do, they don't trust their people to get it right. It's all button pushing now.

I retired from United in 2003, (1968-2003) but later, I did work as Airport Operations Supervisor, 2004-2016, at an east coast airport. Having had the opportunity to see how 8-10 other airlines operate, it's all contract people. $10 an hour, no benefits, inadequate training to people who have no incentive to do their jobs well. McD pays better..

I have kinda vowed to never voluntarily fly again, the delays and nonsense send me into migraines, even if I try to chill I can't hold it for 6 hours.

Flying is fine, and I don't mind for business as it's covered for my time.

You've helped me strengthen it a bit in my resolve now...

And thanks for your service and obviously giving a damn!

I retired as a 777 captain. Thirty-two years, twenty-five of that international, and I was a check captain on the 757-767 for years, certifying other captains and copilots around the world.

It isn't quite like what is being portrayed here.

It isn't all contract people, though there are lot more.

There is complete reliance on network computer systems, but that is not only the best way to do it, it is the only way. It isn't simply the airlines, the gov has no way to handle the issue with manpower alone either. Can't be done.

Systems fail. There should be a redundancy in the IT world, just as there is on every airliner.

We are far better off from a safety and cost perspective.

A few hiccups that cause a lot of annoyance doesn't change that.

Edited by sherpa

When I read this, I immediately thought of the "Gimli Glider" when the pilots screwed up the "english to metric conversion" and almost killed a planeload of people.

Well my take on that is that their piloting skills saved the planeload of passengers. Air Canada initially reprimanded them but they were later exonerated AND honored for their handling of that emergency situation.