People in Management positions: Need some help

As most of you know, I am moving back to WNY from Florida after 2 and a half years. I have been at this job since day 12 of moving down here. The company has treated me excellently, paid great, awesome benefits, and the people are great.

I am leaving to move to NY on or about April 15th. My question is, I feel like I should give more than the typical two weeks notice, as my job requires whoever comes in learning alot (because many of our programs are proprietary). I would actually have no problem helping train whoever would take my job. I have toyed with the idea of giving 30 days notice (meaning I would have to give notice in about 2 weeks).

However, some people have told me that anything more than 2 weeks isnt a good idea - as they may just tell you to leave or something.

Any input would help, personal experiences welcome.

As most of you know, I am moving back to WNY from Florida after 2 and a half years. I have been at this job since day 12 of moving down here. The company has treated me excellently, paid great, awesome benefits, and the people are great.

I am leaving to move to NY on or about April 15th.  My question is, I feel like I should give more than the typical two weeks notice, as my job requires whoever comes in learning alot (because many of our programs are proprietary). I would actually have no problem helping train whoever would take my job.  I have toyed with the idea of giving 30 days notice (meaning I would have to give notice in about 2 weeks).

However, some people have told me that anything more than 2 weeks isnt a good idea - as they may just tell you to leave or something.

259079[/snapback]

That decision is on you. Yes, they can terminate early if they desire. Hopefully, they will see that you are trying to help them and they keep you on, but once the person is trained, they really do not need you and may make the proper business decision by letting you go.

IMO, give them the two weeks notice and tell them that you will work on a contract basis beyond that to train the new person. You make some money and the company can still use your expertise in the interim.

If you like them and they like you (meaning no recent screaming matches), then give them more notice. It's only fair. As you said, some stuff you work with is proprietary. So this gives them more time to find someone to do your job.

I think it is going to take at least 30 days to train somebody in the finer arts of surfing the web, sitting in the basement crapper for 45 minutes and taking 2 hour lunches. Not to mention the fact that they need to be able to put up 12,000 posts in six months. Big shoes to fill, big shoes to fill indeed. :ph34r:

I think it is going to take at least 30 days to train somebody in the finer arts of surfing the web, sitting in the basement crapper for 45 minutes and taking 2 hour lunches. Not to mention the fact that they need to be able to put up 12,000 posts in six months. Big shoes to fill, big shoes to fill indeed. :ph34r:

259097[/snapback]

Don't forget, the new guy has to hate nice fat ladies.

I say give them the standard 2 weeks so that you don't get screwed out of any wages. Life goes on - they'll train the new guy.

If you like them and they like you (meaning no recent screaming matches), then give them more notice. It's only fair. As you said, some stuff you work with is proprietary. So this gives them more time to find someone to do your job.

259088[/snapback]

I would tend to agree. It's not like a replacement is suddenly going to appear and be able to do your job, so it sounds like it would be in their interests to keep you on even if the first impulse would be to send you on your way...

But don't sue me after you take my advice and get 30 minutes to clean out your desk... :ph34r:

I would tend to agree.  It's not like a replacement is suddenly going to appear and be able to do your job, so it sounds like it would be in their interests to keep you on even if the first impulse would be to send you on your way...

But don't sue me after you take my advice and get 30 minutes to clean out your desk... :ph34r:

259113[/snapback]

Without all the facts, you can talk to your immediate supervisor and tell him you plan to move back to WNY in April, and would be willing to help recruit and train your replacement. You do this verbally! If he says that is not necessary, he can find a replacement on his/her own, just say ok...just wanted to give you a heads up. Then give a written 2 weeks notice when the time comes. If, he/she thinks it is a good idea, you give written notice to when you last day will be.

I have had people give me 3 weeks or more notice.

Without all the facts, you can talk to your immediate supervisor and tell him you plan to move back to WNY in April, and would be willing to help recruit and train your replacement.  You do this verbally!  If he says that is not necessary, he can find a replacement on his/her own, just say ok...just wanted to give you a heads up.  Then give a written 2 weeks notice when the time comes.  If, he/she thinks it is a good idea, you give written notice to when you last day will be. 

259161[/snapback]

Well, the only person I will really need to tell is my immediate supervisor. He is the VP of marketing (funny, we don't have a president of marketing, yet we have a VP... but i digress). I'm thinking I will just give him 3 weeks notice. He's not the kind of guy that will just tell me to leave, but if he does, I am open enough right now where I could do that.

Well, the only person I will really need to tell is my immediate supervisor. He is the VP of marketing (funny, we don't have a president of marketing, yet we have a VP... but i digress). I'm thinking I will just give him 3 weeks notice. He's not the kind of guy that will just tell me to leave, but if he does, I am open enough right now where I could do that.

259170[/snapback]

Just so you know...should you give 3 weeks notice, and you are fired, there is precedent to get at least a 2 weeks severance. Even if it is a work at will state, a reasonable action would be to give 2 weeks notice. Many companies will dismiss you immediately to protect their IP, but even then, they usually pay you for the 2 weeks. Not sure you could get all 3 weeks severance.

I own a small company and much of what we do involves working with software unique to our type of business. We invest a fair amount of time, unproductive to us, getting the new employees up to speed. These are skills they will carry with them to their next job and will enhance their marketability.

I would appreciate it any time an employee could give us all the lead time possible

before leaving. Helps us to train someone and of course gives us more time to search for the right person to fill the slot.

If you can give your employer a month my guess is they would be thankful rather than spiteful.

A.K.A. - Being paid to look at naked sluts all day.  :ph34r:

259175[/snapback]

you seem to really enjoy commenting about my job. If you care so much about what I do for a living, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my job description. And so you know, the only time I have seen a naked picture of my screen here is when someone forgets to label a post here "not safe for work".

Thanks again for your input.

In my career in HR, including as the head of HR for a couple different firms, I've never seen management take a "retribution" stance and fire someone for offering his/her resignation. The more notice the better, especially for more senior-level and/or more specialized positions, in which cases it could take 3 to 6 months to hire a qualified replacement. If I were you, I'd give notice as soon as my WNY plans were set in stone, and I'd be honest about the concern you're raising with this post: "Part of me wanted to wait and give you two weeks notice in case you decided to turn around and fire me, but I decided the right thing to do would be to give as much advance notice as possible." Send the message that you're trying to make the transition as smooth as possible... maybe even offer to be available by phone periodically after you relocate.

Without all the facts, you can talk to your immediate supervisor and tell him you plan to move back to WNY in April, and would be willing to help recruit and train your replacement.  You do this verbally!  If he says that is not necessary, he can find a replacement on his/her own, just say ok...just wanted to give you a heads up.  Then give a written 2 weeks notice when the time comes.  If, he/she thinks it is a good idea, you give written notice to when you last day will be. 

259161[/snapback]

I think that's a good idea. Remember, you'll probably want a reference from them down the road. The verbal / written thing is a good way to stay out of this problem.

you seem to really enjoy commenting about my job. If you care so much about what I do for a living, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my job description. And so you know, the only time I have seen a naked picture of my screen here is when someone forgets to label a post here "not safe for work".

Thanks again for your input.

259211[/snapback]

Relax Mr. Stamos, I didn't know you were so sensative all of a sudden.

As for the actual question. Depends on the management. You're the only one here that knows the culture of your company.

In my career in HR, including as the head of HR for a couple different firms, I've never seen management take a "retribution" stance and fire someone for offering his/her resignation.  The more notice the better, especially for more senior-level and/or more specialized positions, in which cases it could take 3 to 6 months to hire a qualified replacement.  If I were you, I'd give notice as soon as my WNY plans were set in stone, and I'd be honest about the concern you're raising with this post:  "Part of me wanted to wait and give you two weeks notice in case you decided to turn around and fire me, but I decided the right thing to do would be to give as much advance notice as possible."  Send the message that you're trying to make the transition as smooth as possible... maybe even offer to be available by phone periodically after you relocate.

259279[/snapback]

good advice. :ph34r:

Wow, that's nice to hear someone moving back! Hope you have a better job. I would like to move there but I have my own business and I hear the real estate market is very flat or even depressed there. I have some other ideas for business, maybe Buffalo will be the place. Good luck!

I am leaving to move to NY on or about April 15th.  My question is, I feel like I should give more than the typical two weeks notice, as my job requires whoever comes in learning alot (because many of our programs are proprietary). I would actually have no problem helping train whoever would take my job.  I have toyed with the idea of giving 30 days notice (meaning I would have to give notice in about 2 weeks).

259079[/snapback]

Wow, that's nice to hear someone moving back! Hope you have a better job. I would like to move there but  I have my own business and I hear the real estate market is very flat or even depressed there.  I have some other ideas for business, maybe Buffalo will  be the place. Good luck!

259314[/snapback]

Thanks! :ph34r: