Surprise -- Redskins strike first in free agency

Though I'm not a Xs and Os person, I will at least suggest that Center is the least of our concerns this year.

258503[/snapback]

Teague is slightly below average at best at center and would be better as a backup tackle or guard ..... the Bills were spoiled with Hull there for years. I'd say center is this most important position on the line ---- you ned a guy who has a clue playing there.

Teague is slightly below average at best at center and would be better as a backup tackle or guard ..... the Bills were spoiled with Hull there for years. I'd say center is this most important position on the line ---- you ned a guy who has a clue playing there.

258512[/snapback]

And I'm of the impression that Teague does have a clue, though it's been a progressive clue as opposed to an instinctive clue. As the year went on, you could clearly see him getting better. If you don't take care of the LT and G position, Center will be the least of our concerns.

The Redskins needed to redo Samuels' contract because he was scheduled to count a whopping $9.5 million against the salary cap this year, restricting the team's ability to re-sign players and acquire new ones. Samuels' signing bonus tops the club-record $15.5 million linebacker LaVar Arrington received in a nine-year, $68 million contract signed in December 2003.

Yeah & our overpaid and oversized RT counts 9.2 and won't budge on the contract (tho he certainly budges against speed rushers).

Hey Mike Williams...fug you and your 9.2 mil salary.

A Center ?  We need a LG and a LT .

258510[/snapback]

Agreed.

We could use an upgrade at center, but we can live with Teague, who was improving toward the end of the season, if nothing is done in free agency or the draft at center. Personally, I'm hoping we use a 3rd round pick on a center, one who can either back up Teague and learn from him or push him for playing time. That said, guard should be a high priority as well as tackle. If no guard is signed in free agency (I sure hope either a stud LG or LT is signed), I hope that is what our 2nd round pick is used for. Even if we sign a free agent, I still hope we draft OL with our 2nd round pick.

Agreed. 

We could use an upgrade at center, but we can live with Teague, who was improving toward the end of the season, if nothing is done in free agency or the draft at center.  Personally, I'm hoping we use a 3rd round pick on a center, one who can either back up Teague and learn from him or push him for playing time.  That said, guard should be a high priority as well as tackle.  If no guard is signed in free agency (I sure hope either a stud LG or LT is signed), I hope that is what our 2nd round pick is used for.  Even if we sign a free agent, I still hope we draft OL with our 2nd round pick.

258552[/snapback]

I agree R.Rich.

It ALL starts with the OL....just ask the Patriots.

Yeah & our overpaid and oversized RT counts 9.2 and won't budge on the contract (tho he certainly budges against speed rushers).

Hey Mike Williams...fug you and your 9.2 mil salary.

258523[/snapback]

Someone forgot their happy pills today!

Why is it that the Skins can do this every freakin year and we can't seem to be able to hold on to people every single year?

Will this ever catch up to them and their cap?

258573[/snapback]

Signing Bonuses- Circumventing the Salary Cap

While the National Football League has a “salary” cap in that all teams have to be under the defined amount 365 days a year, with March 1 serving as the deadline for when contracts roll over from one season to the next, teams have developed ways of circumventing this cap- signing bonuses.

When most people read that a player signs a new contract, they see that player X signed a 5 year, 20 year million dollar contract and assume that the player is earning 4 million dollars per year. This, however, is not how the salary cap works.

In order to make a contract cap-friendly, teams “backload” contracts putting the majority of payment in the out years.

Year 1: $400,000 (league minimum)

Year 2: $1.5 M

Year 3: $1.5 M

Year 4: $7 M

Year 5: $9.6 M

Signing bonus: 10 M

With a contract like this, a player who signs a deal like that would count $2,400,000 against his team’s salary cap for the first year of the contract, rather than the $4 million logic would dictate he cost. The team thus saves $1.6 Million dollars under the cap by the way they’ve structured the contract.

As time wears on, and the player’s additional value to the team does not meet his salary cap hit, teams then choose to either renegotiate or cut players. A player’s signing bonus is generally prorated over the life of the contract. Thus, Player X above maintains a relatively low cap number for the life of his contract. If he is cut by the team, because NFL Contracts are not guaranteed, the team pays a cap penalty of the remaining portion of his signing bonus.

This is part of the reason for contracts constantly being negotiated and yearly rash of player cuts around the March 1 deadlines.

Because signing bonuses often call for players to receive money that would not be part of the DGR, this creates the need for owners to find other short-term revenue streams, as the discussion on stadiums and lessons later will show.

Ok, I guess I am in the minority on Teague ---- yes LA he did play better in 2004 --- but you can never have too many good linemen in my book. .... I wish the Bills had the same deep pockets as the Skins.

258539[/snapback]

I'm all for depth, but depth is no good without someone in front of them anchoring down the position. Dan Snyder, meanwhile, can kiss my ass with his free-spending ways. He's good at making money. Building a winning football is something he should leave to others because this sport isn't baseball...you just can't buy yourself a championship like Florida did.

Agreed. 

We could use an upgrade at center, but we can live with Teague, who was improving toward the end of the season, if nothing is done in free agency or the draft at center.  Personally, I'm hoping we use a 3rd round pick on a center, one who can either back up Teague and learn from him or push him for playing time.  That said, guard should be a high priority as well as tackle.  If no guard is signed in free agency (I sure hope either a stud LG or LT is signed), I hope that is what our 2nd round pick is used for.  Even if we sign a free agent, I still hope we draft OL with our 2nd round pick.

258552[/snapback]

The Draft is deep in both RB and Center. I guess as a last resort, the Bills could kick Teague out to LT and put Tucker in there for the meantime. Re-signing Marcus Price and signing, say, Oliver Ross of the Steelers would probably be a better idea, if the Shelton trade can't be done. Ross was a RT but was the backup at LT. Then we could delay the LT concern for another year, when we have a #1 pick again and a new UFA class. That wouldn't be the end of the world.

Plenty of Guard help available in Free Agency.