Surprise -- Redskins strike first in free agency

The Draft is deep in both RB and Center. I guess as a last resort, the Bills could kick Teague out to LT and put Tucker in there for the meantime. Re-signing Marcus Price and signing, say, Oliver Ross of the Steelers would probably be a better idea, if the Shelton trade can't be done. Ross was a RT but was the backup at LT. Then we could delay the LT concern for another year, when we have a #1 pick again and a new UFA class. That wouldn't be the end of the world.

Plenty of Guard help available in Free Agency.

258604[/snapback]

I'm not that keen on Ross. He wasn't that great for Pittsburgh at LT and over on the right side, the Steelers seem to like Max Starks a lot more than Ross. He's decent, but nothing special. Signing him wouldn't be a major upgrade. There are others I'd look to first.

I'm not that keen on Ross.  He wasn't that great for Pittsburgh at LT and over on the right side, the Steelers seem to like Max Starks a lot more than Ross.  He's decent, but nothing special.  Signing him wouldn't be a major upgrade.  There are others I'd look to first.

258684[/snapback]

I am one who likes your wisdom. What would you like to see done and what do you envision happening?

It's always so tough to get a read on what Donahoe and company will do. I couldn't even guess, other than the rumored Shelton deal may mean that OT is an area that will be addressed in free agency or the draft if a deal cannot be worked out. Maybe also they're looking to upgrade the interior OL, in particular LG and maybe C, but that's just a guess. Who knows? Donahoe may make a move to upgrade the LDE spot, or even bring in a strong side pass rusher at LB to use on 3rd/passing downs. He may make a play for a veteran CB, knowing we need to add depth in the secondary. Like I said, it's purely guesswork at this point.

What would I like to see? I'd like to see a really good free agent LT brought in (Tra Thomas, Shelton??) as well as a person who can fill in immediately at LG like Mike Wahle of Green Bay, Bennie Anderson of Baltimore, or Rick DeMulling of Indianapolis. I wouldn't mind seeing us go after someone as either depth or to possibly start at guard like Roberto Garza of Atlanta or Milford Brown of Houston, either. In addition to any free agency moves on the OL, I'd love to see us go after a quality guard or center in the 2nd round or 3rd round. If we go OL in the 3rd, maybe we could grab a good CB or pass rushing LB in the 2nd. Maybe even a TE.

Signing Bonuses- Circumventing the Salary Cap

Because signing bonuses often call for players to receive money that would not be part of the DGR, this creates the need for owners to find other short-term revenue streams, as the discussion on stadiums and lessons later will show.

258578[/snapback]

I am not quite sure I follow this last statement. I am assuminmg by DGR you mean Designated Gross Revenues. I do not believe, and I could be wrong, that signing bonus dollars fall outside the cap, or in other words a portion of DGR. What the Skins have done is create a team that will face a purge very similiar to what the Titans have done this in terms of cap casualties.For instance, the bonus they gave to Brunnel prevents them from actually cutting the guy because of the accelerated portion of the bonus would put thyem over the cap. However, this bonus money still falls under the cap.

It is my understanding that the players actually want to start including luxary box revenues,PSLs etc in the DGR, as it is not currently, and we may actually see some labor unrest in the NFL as this will be a point of contention. Guys like Snyder and Jones, while maybe not football savvy, are marketing genuuises, and have figured out how to make more money than other owners, and do not want to share it.

Guess my point is eventually redoing everyones contract to make salary money bonus money is like spending on a credit card. Eventually the bills come due

I agree R.Rich.

It ALL starts with the OL....just ask the Patriots.

258555[/snapback]

I agree it all starts with the OL. However, looking at the Pats OL, you

see that it has a 2nd rdr for LT, and the rest are 6th round and below.

It goes to prove that TD does not have to get the STUD lineman that

everyone is craving for, but players who will fit into MM system and will

give their 110%.

I like Kedrick Vincent to come in at LG. The guy was on a pittsburgh

talk show yesterday and the guy was asked how he would rate his

play in a scale of 1 to 10 and he said he would like to see himself as

a 15. Great character guy who can play the game. With all the

pittsburgh connection, I don't see why TD/MM will not scoop this guy