Potential Cheap DT Replacement

This would be an excellent replacement for Pat Williams. I like this guy and he would be a lower cost and younger version with similar talent.

Check this guy out...

6'2", 335 monster.  He's an UFA from Detroit.  He'd fit real nice next to Sam Adams on running downs.  He could be replaced by Edwards on passing downs.  What does everyone think?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5571/

258491[/snapback]

We have so little money to actually spend on free agents, do you all think we should waste our time with a DT when we already have Edwards and Anderson ready and willing to step up?

O-Line is the priority...we NEED to focus the little cap space we do to making sure JP spends more of his time this year on a vertical base.

I think the Bills would be best off by going with Ron Edwards as the starter and having Tim Anderson back him up. The quality of DT's on the open market is nothing special. No need to throw money at someone that's not even as good as what we already have. Edwards is 6'3" and goes 320. He is only 25. Anderson was drafted in the third round last year for a reason. Bills need OFFENSIVE help more than Defense, especially the OL.

We have so little money to actually spend on free agents, do you all think we should waste our time with a DT when we already have Edwards and Anderson ready and willing to step up? 

O-Line is the priority...we NEED to focus the little cap space we do to making sure JP spends more of his time this year on a vertical base.

259251[/snapback]

6-8 million is actually a pretty good amount of money. It's enough to sign a starting guard (Villarial) and big name 20 million dollar player (Vincent) and a couple of cogs like we did last year. Remember, we also resigned Schobel with some of this years FA money.

But if we could get this guy for a cheap, inexpensive deal (a ala Marcus Price or Posey) he might be worth it. I agree we NEED OL help bad, but we can't have the D slip even a little. There is no guarantee the O will be much better.

Anybody know anything about this guy?  Anyone from Detroit, watching the Lions?

From his JS Online Predraft Bio

POSITIVES…Outstanding run stuffer who has an explosive burst off the snap...Anchors firmly vs. multiple blockers...Fights hard & refuses to yield ground at contact...Tough, aggressive defender who is very effective moving laterally…Has a forceful hand push that gets him past blockers regularly…Takes advantage of his raw power to tie up multiple blockers, thus freeing up the ends to penetrate the backfield...Very alert, sensing the holes at the line well and has a knack for zeroing in on the fumbled ball.

NEGATIVES…Shorter than ideal, limiting him to a 3-4 or “eagle” tackle defensive scheme...Stamina is a concern, as he tends to run out of gas late in games...A little clumsy moving in the open... Turns his back at times, when tending to shed blockers.

CAREER NOTES

Late bloomer whose insertion into the starting lineup brought about an instant improvement for the defensive unit...Despite having only 20 games as a starter, he finished his career with 34 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and ten sacks from the demanding nose guard position... Collected 209 tackles in his 42 games as a Tiger.

6-8 million is actually a pretty good amount of money. It's enough to sign a starting guard (Villarial) and big name 20 million dollar player (Vincent) and a couple of cogs like we did last year. Remember, we also resigned Schobel with some of this years FA money.

259344[/snapback]

Oh if we just had to sign a starting guard and a few other backups, I'd be content with 6-8 million dollars under. Problem is we now have to worry about a starting LT, the most expensive position on the line. I still got my fingers crossed that Shelton comes to Buffalo, he'd let us go out and get those positions you mentioned.