FORMATION QUESTION: AIR RAID VS SPREAD VS RUN 'N SHOOT

His natural talent is undeniable.

Personally, I would have liked to see him stay another year and develop, but when he has a chance to go top 10 it's tough to turn that down

I hope he doesn't go to the Jets. I guess that means deep down I think he has some real talent

He was the #1 dual threat recruit coming out of HS

I appreciate that.

where ever he goes, it doesn't seem they will throw him out there his rookie year?

as you said, some time to develop and adjust to the next level would seem necessary with the little experience he gained at the college level?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I appreciate that.

where ever he goes, it doesn't seem they will throw him out there his rookie year?

as you said, some time to develop and adjust to the next level would seem necessary with the little experience he gained at the college level?

I can see him coming in and not being a dumpster fire

BUT

Sitting and holding a clipboard and learning the nuances of an NFL QB from the sideline is probably in his best interest

Perhaps he sits a year or 2 and Comes out slinging like he did at UNC

The issue isn't the offensive formation that ill prepares these QBs, it's the repetitive defenses they see week after week after week after week that defend it and that's why they are behind the curve on reading defenses when they get to the next level.

The issue isn't the offensive formation that ill prepares these QBs, it's the repetitive defenses they see week after week after week after week that defend it and that's why they are behind the curve on reading defenses when they get to the next level.

Good point. I think people neglect to mention that college defenses are nothing like NFL defenses.

So you can be a spread QB or a pro-style QB, either way, NFL is a huge step up.

....they are...but why is WCO accepted and Air Raid feared if nothing more than a shotgun derivative?............

One reason is because the air raid players are not adept in 3,5 and 7 step drops and how they coordinate with routes and route distances. That's not to say there's only one way to get it done, but there are some physical advantages to throwing out of that natural weight transfer as the qb plants off his drop back.

One reason is because the air raid players are not adept in 3,5 and 7 step drops and how they coordinate with routes and route distances. That's not to say there's only one way to get it done, but there are some physical advantages to throwing out of that natural weight transfer as the qb plants off his drop back.

....so even though those are mechanical issues which one would hope could be corrected with good coaching, it solely depends on the student.......may be easier said than done.....thanks for the insight and analysis...........

...probably not conveying it properly, but it seems the Air Raid is still a spread type based on the initiating formation of shotgun...Mariota seems to be making the transition well......even going back to the successful days of Warren Moon and what was then called "Run 'n Shoot", the initiating formation was the shotgun.....I posted elsewhere, if I remember correclty, 60% of the 2016 snaps were taken in the shotgun formation which elevated to 67% of the playoff snaps taken in the same formation.....what the hell am I missing?....almost seems like a hangup on nomenclature.....of course they all have nuances and subtleties that make them a bit different, but isn't the premise the same??..........

I'm not all that familiar with the air raid, but I remember in Kevin Gilbride's run and shoot, that all the receivers were supposed to read the defense and adjust to what they see- which caused major problems if different players read different things