Keep Travis Henry as a backup

Dr. K

...if no good trade opportunity arises. Don't let him go for nothing.

I hate to hear all this "Henry is a cancer" "He's lazy" "He's always injured" talk. It really is just more of the "god or devil" attitude of so many fans: for too many of us either a player walks on water (and his image is at the top of the Two Bills Drive site) or he is comeplete horse puckey (and his picture comes down and his name is never spoken without invective). I'm with Kelly the Dog on this one--Henry has done nothing wrong. The guy played with a fractured leg a year ago, and gained 1400 yards. I am aware of his limitations, but at this point the dissing of Henry has gone way beyond the rational.

We were going to have to find a backup runner to McGahee anyway. Well, we've already got Henry on the roster. Maybe he'll chafe at being the backup, but he's a better runner than most of the alternatives, and he comes with a manageable contract. And maybe he'll buckle down and prove himself a professional if and when he gets the chance.

Which he may easily get, I hope you will remind yourselves. McGahee is one good hit to the knee from losing another season (as is any back in the NFL). He almost got wiped out on a bad screen pass from Bledsoe late in the season; it could happen on any play. I say keep Henry as insurance if a good deal is not there.

works for me. I'd rather have shelton or better yet a 2nd rounder for him, but it's not going to happen with all the interesting RBs in this draft.

but like mM and TD have been saying...if they don't get the right price, they'll have him back next season and he'll be expected to be pout-free.

Say what you guys want, but I have a pretty reliable source that I told you guys some time back said Travis either goes to Oakland or San Fran.  If the Bills can't cut a deal there, they will cut Travis.

257858[/snapback]

they're not going to cut travis, silly man. He's dirt cheap and we have him for a year. If we have to wait until a drafted RB gets injured in camp to get a 2nd rounder or impact player for him in trade, that's what the bills will do. We'll either get the right price for him, or he'll be our backup in 2005.

they're not going to cut travis, silly man. He's dirt cheap and we have him for a year. If we have to wait until a drafted RB gets injured in camp to get a 2nd rounder or impact player for him in trade, that's what the bills will do. We'll either get the right price for him, or he'll be our backup in 2005.

257862[/snapback]

Well this guy seemed to know last week that Travis wasn't going to Arizona. He did say Shelton would be a good pickup for us. Said he is as good as Jennings in the pass and better (a lot better) in run blocking.

He had been telling me since the middle of the season Travis will be in Oakland, but about a month ago said San Fran had jumped into the fray. Seems they are unhappy with their RB's. He still expects Oakland last week to get travis and he said a 4th or a 5th rounder, but maybe a 3rd if they get into it with San fran.

Again, just what my source says.

Well this guy seemed to know last week that Travis wasn't going to Arizona.  He did say Shelton would be a good pickup for us.  Said he is as good as Jennings in the pass and better (a lot better) in run blocking. 

He had been telling me since the middle of the season Travis will be in Oakland, but about a month ago said San Fran had jumped into the fray.  Seems they are unhappy with their RB's.  He still expects Oakland last week to get travis and he said a 4th or a 5th rounder, but maybe a 3rd if they get into it with San fran. 

Again, just what my source says.

257868[/snapback]

I hope that unless we get a 2nd or better, we keep him as the backup. A 3rd or lower just doesn't give us much, and we would still need to aquire a backup.

Say what you guys want, but I have a pretty reliable source that I told you guys some time back said Travis either goes to Oakland or San Fran.  If the Bills can't cut a deal there, they will cut Travis.

257858[/snapback]

Your reliable source sucks balls, pal, if he said Henry will be cut.

Your reliable source sucks balls, pal, if he said Henry will be cut.

257892[/snapback]

Well he was right last year when he said the Skins would have Gibbs as the coach and Williams as DC.

So he seems to know a little.

He also said the Shelton trade for Henry would not go through.

So he seems to be a little more knowldgable then what I seem to generally find around here. :blink:

...if no good trade opportunity arises.  Don't let him go for nothing.

I hate to hear all this "Henry is a cancer" "He's lazy" "He's always injured" talk.  It really is just more of the "god or devil" attitude of so many fans: for too many of us either a player walks on water (and his image is at the top of the Two Bills Drive site) or he is comeplete horse puckey (and his picture comes down and his name is never spoken without invective).  I'm with Kelly the Dog on this one--Henry has done nothing wrong.  The guy played with a fractured leg a year ago, and gained 1400 yards.  I am aware of his limitations, but at this point the dissing of Henry has gone way beyond the rational.

We were going to have to find a backup  runner to McGahee anyway.  Well, we've already got Henry on the roster.  Maybe he'll chafe at being the  backup, but he's a better runner than most of the alternatives, and he comes with a manageable contract.  And maybe he'll buckle down and prove himself a professional if and when he gets the chance.

Which he may easily get, I hope you will remind yourselves.  McGahee is one good hit to the knee from losing another season (as is any back in the NFL).  He almost got wiped out on a bad screen pass from Bledsoe late in the season; it could happen on any play.  I say keep Henry as insurance if a good deal is not there.

257854[/snapback]

I happen to agree up to a point! Hell, he was my favorite Bill while the team was rebuilding. I prob was the only who had his back when everyone thought he was a fumbling fool.

What if he does become a cancer and divided the lockerroom? I'm not saying he will but is it worth it?

BTW, he bit his tongue last year and could've become our Randy Moss but he chose not to. That shows you what type of MAN he is! That's really sad when he's the only one in the league that would humble himself like that.

If we keep him now, we won't get anything once the 2005 season ends. True, he would be that hard nosed back that we all wanted to backup Willis.

I dunno, I'm not really sure now.

If TH cannot get this team anything in return, cut him and sign or draft a RB who can do the things necessary to be a backup perhaps a better receiving back, a better blocking back, and get a RB who KNOWS his role and will not B word and sulk and miss blitzes when he is in the game!!!

Wow someone who makes sense for a change.

All this talk about Travis being a locker room cancer is hogwash. Travis ran hard last year, he just had a bad season. It happens.

Willis is a ton better, but having Travis as a backup isn't such a bad thing.

I hate to hear all this "Henry is a cancer" "He's lazy" "He's always injured" talk.  It really is just more of the "god or devil" attitude of so many fans: for too many of us either a player walks on water (and his image is at the top of the Two Bills Drive site) or he is comeplete horse puckey (and his picture comes down and his name is never spoken without invective).  I'm with Kelly the Dog on this one--Henry has done nothing wrong.  The guy played with a fractured leg a year ago, and gained 1400 yards.  I am aware of his limitations, but at this point the dissing of Henry has gone way beyond the rational.

We were going to have to find a backup  runner to McGahee anyway.  Well, we've already got Henry on the roster.  Maybe he'll chafe at being the  backup, but he's a better runner than most of the alternatives, and he comes with a manageable contract.  And maybe he'll buckle down and prove himself a professional if and when he gets the chance.

Which he may easily get, I hope you will remind yourselves.  McGahee is one good hit to the knee from losing another season (as is any back in the NFL).  He almost got wiped out on a bad screen pass from Bledsoe late in the season; it could happen on any play.  I say keep Henry as insurance if a good deal is not there.

257854[/snapback]

The problem with Henry as a backup is that he is ineffective as a third down receiver. He is not going to be relatively cheap as a pure backup who doesn't play specials.

Coaches and GM's don't like the film on him. His flaws aren't going to fly under the radar.

257854[/snapback]

Your point would be valid if you weren't talking about a functional idiot.

One would figure that most people in Henry's position would play their arse off to make sure that Buffalo would have a very hard choice in the off-season, or at the very least have every team lining up for my services. Henry should look no further than Drew Brees in how to handle a competitive situation.

Now Henry's sulking has even alienated Arizona? Please.

If this guy didn't have heart when it could have served him well last year, what makes you think that he'll go all out in '05 as the back-up?

Bills are better off taking any deal and running.

What are you smoking??? He had an off year and never really got into a rhythm. Not to mention he was injured most of the season.

Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis all have had bad seasons in the past. Last year, Henry had an off year.

Arizona isn't backing out because of Henry's sulking... it's because there are a ton of RBs on the market and the draft is deep with backs.

One would figure that most people in Henry's position would play their arse off to make sure that Buffalo would have a very hard choice in the off-season, or at the very least have every team lining up for my services.  Henry should look no further than Drew Brees in how to handle a competitive situation.

Now Henry's sulking has even alienated Arizona?  Please.

If this guy didn't have heart when it could have served him well last year, what makes you think that he'll go all out in '05 as the back-up?

258084[/snapback]

Arizona isn't backing out because of Henry's sulking... it's because there are a ton of RBs on the market and the draft is deep with backs.

258086[/snapback]

Arizona backed off cause they wanted to sign Henry long term and Henry didnt want to sign with Arizona long term...Henry is using the lil power he has in this situation to land himself in the best place for himself...cant blame him either...

Its the smart move(for Henry)...

One would figure that most people in Henry's position would play their arse off to make sure that Buffalo would have a very hard choice in the off-season, or at the very least have every team lining up for my services.  Henry should look no further than Drew Brees in how to handle a competitive situation.

Now Henry's sulking has even alienated Arizona?  Please.

258084[/snapback]

BRAVO!!!!!!!

I will be in utter shock if Travis brings anything close to a 2nd. Personally, I would prefer to grab the million dollar or so cap room and get rid of him in any way necessary.

The Bills have a 2nd year coach and a 2nd year qb. I am thinking that neither of them needs to be distracted by the continuing saga of a lousy football player, and as you said, a (barely) functional idiot.

BRAVO!!!!!!!

I will be in utter shock if Travis brings anything close to a 2nd. Personally, I would prefer to grab the million dollar or so cap room and get rid of him in any way necessary.

The Bills have a 2nd year coach and a 2nd year qb. I am thinking that neither of them needs to be distracted by the continuing saga of a lousy football player, and as you said, a (barely) functional idiot.

258173[/snapback]

Now see that's not fair of you and GG. Travis is not a barely functional idiot. He is an idiot savant. :D

257854[/snapback]

Ya know, the people who claim all that crap about Travis only say it because they want a trade made for someone or a draft pick. Facts are its just not true.

Travis kept his mouth shut the whole time he was sitting the bench. That equals= a cancer? Not quite. Travis was a durable 1300+ annual back who always made the first guy miss and almost everyone here LOVED before McGahee took the field. Now all of the sudden hes crap...hes Lawrence Philips or Cecil Collins? Garbage. Travis is now and always has been one hell of a RB. Fumble problem? He had one bad year, the next year was average as far as fumbles go. Thats crap too. The guy IS a starter in this league and if his agent was worth any sh_t whatsoever he would ask (not demand) a trade. Thats what happened, guess what the Bills agreed and have been working on it. Clearly Tom doesnt think hes crap, he sure isnt treating him that way. If nothing happens and he ends up as our backup, I will almost guarantee that TRavis wont be constantly complaining. I bet he sucks it up, works hard, and returns in very good shape. He could easily see that McGahee could go down and again he is in.

I have no problem with talking trash about trash. This guy is not that and doesnt deserve it. I want him traded too, its best for the Bills and for him. But if he returns, he will absolutely NOT be a cancer and we would be lucky to have a RB of that caliper as our backup for only 1.25 mill!!!!